• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Picture of your Bible.

• Moderators

I like the wide margins on the side.

Potatochip,

Yes, I can read every word. Since I first starting learning Chinese characters (the Chinese language does not have an alphabet, every word is unique in itself; and the words are called, "characters"), I have read the complete Bible 15 times.

Alan, I have a question for you. A while back I read some articles about the Chinese characters - how the old script consists of pictures that can be interpreted to match up with an early cultural knowledge of the events of creation/flood (like the symbol for a large ship combines symbols for a boat and 8 people). Very interesting stuff. From your knowledge of the Chinese characters, would you say that such an interpretation is reliable?

• Members

Salyan,

Yes. In numerous Chinese characters you can definately understand that when the characters were being developed somebody wove into some of the characters the flood, creation, the word God has a special meaning, the word righteousness is very special in the building of the character and has biblical meaning, and several other characters a person can see biblical meaning.

If you look in the devotion section of OnLine Baptist you will notice a devotion that I made on the Chinese word, "Listen  ." 

There are not too many books written on this subject. The two that I know of I will do an internet search later on and see where they are available. 

Alan

Edited by Alan
delete failed upload

• Members

e04533fef7284f4b402af6ad89464bcc.jpg

Rebound in hardback with goatskin leather. Nothing feels like this goatskin, compared to the common 'pig skin' leather used on modern Bibles.

1658468_527514460696919_1406466361_o.jpg

Quality from Leonards Book binding.

This is a rebound Hendrickson 1560 Geneva Bible. I just got it back from Leonards, a high quality rebinding business in Indiana.

My "Holy Bible" label is now removed, material started fading, so I gently removed the label. Can't tell though.

My Bible has a few miles on it since these pictures, but still looks like a quality Bible, yet gently read.

I like the gold leaf on the edges,  It helps to stop the pages sticking together, and easier to find scriptures.

• Members

Salyan,

I could not find the two books yet: I will need further research on it. They may be out of print due to low demand. Not too many non-Cinese people find anything in the Chinese language easy. The copies of my two books are in my library in the States, so, it is taking some time as I do not remember the full name of the authors or publishers.

I did though find a good easy to be understood article by the, "Institute in Creation Research," by James Johnson. In the article Brother Johnson gives 4 examples of Chinese characters and there biblical meaning from the book of Genesis: (1) Create. (2) Garden (3) Boat and (4) Flood. Here is the link to his article: http://www.icr.org/article/genesis-chinese-pictographs/  The article was written with the layman in mind and is self-explanatory.

Bro. Johnsons 4 examples are reliable and well known. His explanations for the 4 words are the common useage of the words, his definitions are found in any Chinese dictionary, there is no error in translation, there is no twisting of the meaning, or sensationalism in his examples. It is a well written article.

Alan

• Members

Salyan, Brethren, and John,

Thank you John.

I finally remembered the two books name and author.

1. "The Discovery of Genesis," by C.H. Kang and Ethel R. Nelson.

2. "Genesis and the Mystery Confucius Couldn't Solve," by Ethel R. Nelson

Both books are well written and I would consider them reliable.  They do not twist any of the meanings, all of the tranlsations fit acceptable definitions, all of the characters are well known and used in modern conversation and are used in the Chinese Bible. I checked amazon.com and both books are available. Some of the larger Christian Used book stores may have the more popular book, "The Discovery of Genesis."

Alan

• Members

yeah i had the wide margin without the center columns, but it was just a bit too big for me... the one with center columns is actually smaller believe it or not... lol

• Members

Here we are. Open to Daniel 9:24-27 even! This is the 1917 printing of Scofields KJV. Was lovingly taken care of since being a gift for Christmas in 1925. Rebound twice - once in September 1938, once in December 1972. And no, it wasn't my Christmas gift in 1925.

1437689209464-430297465.thumb.jpg.c3cee5

I recognised the Schofield, 1925 that is old. I might post some if I get time. Can I ask you, why do you think the Geneva Bible is the best one to read?

• Members

I recognised the Schofield, 1925 that is old. I might post some if I get time. Can I ask you, why do you think the Geneva Bible is the best one to read?

You'll have to message me for that info my friend. Board rules.

Oh, we already had that conversation.

Nevermind.

Edited by Genevanpreacher