• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Poll for Book Readers: Hardcover or Paperback

Brother Rick

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever pay more for hardcover over paperback books?

• No, if I can get it cheaper in paperback that's what I do.
    • Yes, if I like it I'm willing to pay more to have it in hardcover.

• Moderators

I voted yes only because I will buy something in hardcover if I think it's something I will reference often - like a doctrinal/study book. Novels, biographies, etc. I'll buy at the cheapest possible rate. :)

Edited to add: Of course, if you buy at garage sales, you can get hardcover classics for less than new paperbacks! :biggrin:

Edited by salyan

• Members

I hear you there!

What about books with hard laminate covers and no dust jacket - do you think those are cheezy (even though they are so much more pratical than anything with a nice looking but annoying dust jacket)?

And what about books under 200 pages, not worth it in hardcover or what do you think?

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

I voted yes as well. But, that was how I bought the books in the past. These days, been buying more kindle books to read...really enjoying the kindle. Love having several books and then I can switch over the Bible in this little tiny thing.

• Administrators

I like trade paper best, so I didn't vote. It's technically a paper bound, but it's put together better than a regular paperback (Rick, your book on Revelation, and your wife's book on finances are both trade paper). Trade paper is not as heavy as a hardbound book, which can sometimes be hard to hold for a length of time (I have problems with my shoulders, and, yes, holding a hardbound can cause problems with them).

I've been laying some serious hints that I'd like to get Google's version of the iPad possibly for Christmas. I'd like that over a kindle or nook because it is more than an e-reader, so I could do more with it (I LOVE the camera/recorder is has). Who knows what the price will be like by then...probably still too much. :offended:

• Members

I try to buy all my books in hardcover for my library (right now in home depot boxes) and to pass along after I go home to be with the Lord. Never buy new anymore so my newest books are usually at least a year of two old where I pick them up for just a few dollars each if that.

• Members

Mostly I find that books are only available in one or the other.

I have been known to rebind some of my paperbacks as hardbacks. I went to a bookbinding evening class once, but that was a long time ago and I have forgotten most of it.