• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Words that give me a nervous jerkdown...

• Members
3 hours ago, John81 said:

I really hate when reading something online that sounds really good, maybe even something worth sharing, and then suddenly there's an F-bomb (rather tired of that term too!) or blasphemy which totally ruins what I've been reading.

...or watching (what you hope to be) an informative/helpful video, and they use such words.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
On 5/31/2016 at 1:18 PM, Musician4God1611 said:

You guys should try explaining to 15 teenagers why its not good to aimlessly browse around YouTube, that gets interesting. I guess I don't get the prize for the cool Youth Pastor, (sigh.....).

I can relate to this... thankfully I've only had one teen in the house at a time. My sons are all well apart in age (the oldest, soon to be 33, the middle 26, the "baby" soon to be 18) so it seems like I've always had a teenager in the house. Good thing for the middle and youngest that they don't come out as teenagers when they're born... otherwise I would have stopped at the first ONE!  Also good thing for the oldest 2 that the youngest was born last... I also would have stopped at ONE! Times have certainly changed over the years... dealing with teens has never been an easy thing by any means. But I readily admit that as each child turned into a teen it was progressively worse per child... MOSTLY because society has progressively gotten worse day by day. There are SO MANY MORE sinful things which are now made easily-accessible to teens whereas before there was much more of a chance they would have had to at minimum sneak out of the house to do things like that.  And their peers (even from good church-going families) have also become much more sinful and worldly over the years. What used to be shunned is now days not only "politically correct", and not just accepted in society, but teens are mocked viciously (even by other professing "christians") if they don't go with the evil-wicked "flow". One more thing I have noticed (and this also is in the realm of professing Christian families)... I've noticed that parents often try to be the best friends of their kids and not the loving authority they need. I would even go so far as to say that some people seem to almost worship their children, living to serve their kids, bowing to their every demand, buying them off with whatever they desire to keep the peace. Teens being given vehicles for which they didn't work 5 minutes for (much less 5 months) and are far too pricey to have been handed over to an inexperienced driver. Not teaching teens that hard work pays off (but instead pouting and fit throwing gets them "their way").  One more thing... I think it MOST prevalent in today's society (which I didn't see so much before)... parents often seem to be using their kids as status symbols... "look, I bought my kid this or that", etc. It's really ridiculous... I guess I could go on and on about all the changes I've seen over the years, but it can all pretty much be summed up in this: These are the perilous last days Paul spoke of to Timothy. We can see these characteristics on maximum overdrive at the apex of wickedness. I don't expect to see things get "better" for the world, at least not for another 7+ years. But it also gives more hope of the nearness of the rapture!

I don't envy your job. I don't think we've ever had a conversation before? (Forgive me if we have... I've forgotten). But I have to say my admiration is high for any person dealing with teens in a ministerial position... it would be one of the hardest jobs ever these days (if you are one of the admirable few who keep to scripture and don't compromise with society). I'll be praying for your ministry! God bless!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Today is october 11. In reading a post from today I saw something mentioned by someone who will remain anonymous, that made me think of this thread from last Spring. I had to search quite a while to find it again.

In the post from today was the two word phrase that I really don't like and seems totally foolish. That two word phrase is this: "my bad".

I find this phrase usually used when someone has made a mistake in wording, is called on it, and then responds with the phrase, "my bad". instead of possibly, "my mistake."

I am not grammarian by any stretch of the imagination, but this seems totally wrong and borders on an attempt to keep up with modern nonsensical language changes. I seem to hear or see it written everywhere these days.

• Administrators

I just realized that the title of this thread contains another two word expression that I had never heard before.

" nervous jerkdown "

Had I only heard this expression without reading the replies, I never would have known what it meant. I doubt that "jerkdown" is even a word.

I wonder what other grammatically correct expression could be used to describe this title?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

In the post from today was the two word phrase that I really don't like and seems totally foolish. That two word phrase is this: "my bad".

I find this phrase usually used when someone has made a mistake in wording, is called on it, and then responds with the phrase, "my bad". instead of possibly, "my mistake."

I am not grammarian by any stretch of the imagination, but this seems totally wrong and borders on an attempt to keep up with modern nonsensical language changes. I seem to hear or see it written everywhere these days.

Actually, this was in use verbally long before it was written. On the basketball court and football field. "My bad" was letting your teammate know that you realize the error was a result of your own hands, errant pass, etc. as opposed to their throw, catch attempt, resultant collision, etc.

ie; the "bad play" was on you, not them.

• Administrators

Yes OFP, actually I heard it spoken before I saw it written. At the time I heard it spoken I was of the same opinion....stupid. But then I didn't know about the sports origination. I was just hearing everyday folks all over the place saying, "my bad".

But thanks for the explanation, I never knew the origination of the expression. The way you explained it I could see how it would apply in a sports setting.

• Members

Some additional phrases or examples of a poor understanding of English:

• Literally - "You literally scared me to death."  (You literally need a dictionary)
  • I know, right? - I'm not even sure what this means, but I hear it so frequently that it drives me crazy.
  • Prolly - "He'll prolly stay home from work." 
  • Epic - "Wow!  Epic beard, dude!"  No, Ben Hur is an epic.  I just have a long beard.

A brother of mine, who is an elementary school teacher, tells me that English is a living language that evolves as time moves on.  I disagree, for the most part.  I believe that the language changes because people, who don't know how to use it, abuse the language so badly that the dictionaries change the definitions to keep up with common usage.

If we look up the definition of the word "literally."  In Webster's 1828 dictionary, the word "literally," means:

1. According to the primary and natural import of words; not figuratively. A man and his wife cannot be literally one flesh.
  2. With close adherence to words; word by word. So wild and ungovernable a poet cannot be translated literally
  1. in a literal sense or manner :  Actually <took the remark literally> <was literally insane>
  2. in effect: Virtually <will literally turn the world upside down to combat cruelty or injustice — Norman Cousins>
  1. in the literal or strict sense: She failed to grasp the metaphor andinterpreted the poem literally. What does the word mean literally?
  2. in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.
  3. actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.
  4. in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually: I literally died when she walked out on stage in that costume.

Not only have they included a definition that means the exact opposite of it's true definition, they have included the new definition along with it's original meaning.  So, tell me, when a young person is trying to discern the meaning of the word "literally," how are they to do so accurately?

• Members
On 5/9/2016 at 8:50 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

I've probably shared my disdain for the word "selfie" here before...

But this latest verbal assailment (photobomb) spawned from the pits of the unquenchable fires and deepest-darkest crevices where the worm dieth not certainly is giving it (selfie) a run for its money. Instead of...

Giiirrrrlll, let me tell you...I's takin' a selfie, and my little brother done slipped in and photobombed me!

Why can't people just say...

Hi friend! May I share my recent experience with you? I was attempting to take a narcissistic photograph of myself with my Nikon d5500; however, during said photo session, my younger male sibling took it upon himself to intrude upon my self-modeling by inserting himself into the picture; thereby, desecrating the artistry that was intended to draw praise and adoration from others!

Now...doesn't that sound better?  :yeah:  :nuts:

...and don't get me started on "giiirrrlll"!  :offended:

I just hafta say I love this, maaaaan!

• 2 months later...