• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Should A Christian Leave A Church Membership

The Glory Land

• Moderators

If a church were not to practice communion at all, they would be failing to keep one of the ordinances God has set up for the local church to administer, and failing to obey Christ's command to remember Him in it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My question was to you, not your preacher.  Most of the principles are found here in the article, Closed Communion.  

http://www.baptistchallenge.org/challenge/01augtbc.pdf

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls." - Acts 2:41

"Added" to what?  What does "added" mean?

The statement was from the preacher; therefore the question must be addressed to him!!  "Added to what?"= Added to "them" which apparently signifies more than one.

• Members

John as I read the scriptures on the Lord's Supper it's clearly a closed event for those members of that local church.  See the August 2001 Baptist Challenge for the article and scripture references.  Feel free to tear it apart, I'm not too prideful to say I was wrong and change for the better for the Lord. 

• Members

Acts 20:6-12. My question: did Paul start that church (reference please) or was he a "visiting" or "guest" preacher? Was he a member of every church we find him breaking bread in?

Well technically it doesn't say that Paul broke bread with them.  It does say the disciples did while he preached.  Verse 11 says the young man ate and not Paul or those around him.  Am I missing something or more verses here?

• Moderators
Act 20:10  And Paul went down, and fell on him, and embracing him said, Trouble not yourselves; for his life is in him. 
Act 20:11  When he therefore was come up again, and had broken bread, and eaten, and talked a long while, even till break of day, so he departed. 
Act 20:12  And they brought the young man alive, and were not a little comforted. 

vs 10  Paul falls upon  Eutychus
vs 11 someone comes up and breaks and eats bread -- talks till of day -- departs -----------who? Pul or Eutychus?
vs12 they bring up Eutychus

must have been Paut who ate, spoke and left

• Members

I think it was the young man in verse 11.  Either way, this is not the Lord's Supper they're just eating a meal.  The references in my bible refer to the Lord's Supper but this reads like a plain old meal.  Even the earlier one where the disciples were breaking bread while Paul taught them.  They were eating a meal and listening to Paul's preaching.  Am I way off here?

• Members

On the Lords supper close doors? I personal believe that the doors should be always open to born again Christians. All those that are saved and baptized, Why baptized? for this person has the complete understanding what Jesus Christ did for us. The Lord did not do anything privately, but He opens the doors to all those that follow him. Do you want to close your doors to those that might be Saints, visiting your church?

• Administrators

The beauty of liberty in Christ is that each local church has the God-given authority to establish certain mores that they observe - as long as they are in line with scripture. Scripture does not state that every born again person must be allowed to partake in the Lord's Supper in every church that observes it.  However, neither does scripture forbid it.

The three types of observations are closed, close, and open.  Closed is usually associated with those who keep to the Baptist Bride position, although not in every instance.  Close merely means that any Christian, member or not, of like belief may partake (although it is not policed). Open means anyone who claims the name of Christ may partake (when I was younger, I attended stake meetings sometimes with my friends - that's the Mormon church.  They practice open communion...)

Our church practices close.  Our pastor has said on more than one occasion that Christians of like belief may participate.  He goes over scripture and teaches what scripture says about the injunction to observe, and we are given time to examine ourselves before we partake.

There are good men - men who've studied the topic out - who disagree on which of the three types are "best."  But, as I said earlier, we have liberty in Christ to decide that in each local church.  

• Members

On the Lords supper close doors? I personal believe that the doors should be always open to born again Christians. All those that are saved and baptized, Why baptized? for this person has the complete understanding what Jesus Christ did for us. The Lord did not do anything privately, but He opens the doors to all those that follow him. Do you want to close your doors to those that might be Saints, visiting your church?

My personal beliefs don't matter, but the Word of God does.

The Lord's Supper is a local church ordinance.  The local church has authority over its members only.  Conversely no church but the church where members hold their membership has authority over them.   

Baptism is a new disciples first outward sign of obedience to Christ and also signifies membership into a New Testament Church.  In the bible the order was first making them disciples, getting them baptized and then teaching them to observe all things (Lord's Supper).

The reason a NT church should not allow open communion according to the scriptures besides the above is that the person must be in good standing.  A NT church cannot exercise discipline over a non-member.  A rebellious Christian living in the sin of adultery has the responsibility of not observing the Lord's Supper.  His local church also has the responsibility of not having him partake in the Lord's Supper either (1 Cor 5).  If he comes over in rebellion to my NT Church to observe the Lord's Supper I have no way of knowing his standing or the authority to stop him.

Let me ask you TGL, would you let Nazarenes and Free Will Baptists observe the Lord's Supper in your church?  Why?  

• Members

Who knows the heart of another man? The pastor, church board, deacons, ushers?

Scripture says God knows the hearts of man, which is why Scripture tells each saved man to examine his own heart, and what things to look for, and how to go about restoring right fellowship with God (if they need to) so they can rightly partake of the Lord's Supper.

Proper partaking of the Lord's Supper is the responsibility of each follower of Christ and is a matter between him and God. Scripture is clear the Lord polices this matter Himself.

• Members

Who am I to say who can partake in the Lord supper.
Anyone that is saved and baptize can. I don't care where you come from. Not by works lest anyone should boast. I am not a pastor my friend.

:icon_rolleyes:

Who knows the heart of another man? The pastor, church board, deacons, ushers?

Proper partaking of the Lord's Supper is the responsibility of each follower of Christ and is a matter between him and God. Scripture is clear the Lord polices this matter Himself.

So what do you do about Chapter 5 John?  How about Matthew 18:15-17?  Just ignore them when it comes to the Lord's Supper?  No, your points are valid and important but not complete.

• Members

Yes it's permitted with the Law , what I give to the church or do you want me give it to the Government instead. I do give and not only to the church. If I don't, the government will think that I am keeping it all. Now you don't me to give all my money to Obama now right. :)

So you use God as a tax deduction because the law allows it, amazing, what does the law have to do with giving to the Lord? Nothing.

Yes, lots of people tries to use God in many different ways, tax deduction is just one of many.

Try giving to the Lord your God freely, cheerfully,  with no strings attacked, you know, just trust Him, & not use Him as a tax deduction.

• Members

Not true, you need to go back to the Bible, I'll help you.

Mr 14:13 And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.
Mr 14:14 And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
Mr 14:15 And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready for us.
Mr 14:16 And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover.
Mr 14:17 And in the evening he cometh with the twelve.
Mr 14:18 And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me.
Mr 14:19 And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?
Mr 14:20 And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth with me in the dish.
Mr 14:21 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.
Mr 14:22 And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body.
Mr 14:23 And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it.
Mr 14:24 And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
Mr 14:25 Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
Mr 14:26 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

Yes, this was done privately, just the 12 & Himself.

So your totally wrong, Jesus did things privately. There were other believers in this world at that time, but He did not open the door to them.

Archived