• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Administrators

The ladies sang "Sweet Hour of Prayer" at our nursing home service Saturday.  As we were singing the last verse, I almost began crying as I thought of our friend Ray.

Sweet hour of prayer! Sweet hour of prayer!

My I thy consolation share,

Till, from Mount Pisgah's lofty height,

I view my home and take my flight.

This robe of flesh I'll drop, and rise

To seize the everlasting prize,

And shout while passing through the air,

"Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!"

One of these days...

• Members

Saturday night, we sang at this place  http://www.spanishtrailplayhouse.com/

He Took Your Place http://www.bluegrasslyrics.com/node/842

No Not One http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/n/o/nonotone.htm

Just Over in the Glory Land http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/j/u/justover.htm

and Canaan Land 

Sunday morning the church sang "Victory in Jesus"

Sunday night "I can tell you the time"

• Moderators

Let's see, yesterday we sang, in the morning:

Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus, (version 1)

Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus, (version 2)

I surrender All

PM Serivce:

Great is Thy Faithfulness

Another than I can't recall off the top of my head.

(Evening services I accompany on the ukulele)

• Members

This is marvellous music:

2013 Season - Proms on Four: Friday Night at the Proms - Bach Oratorios

Sir John Eliot Gardiner with the Monteverdi Choir and English Baroque Soloists perform Bach's "Easter Oratorio" and "Ascension Oratorio", both based on events in the life of Christ.

A glorious programme - I must listen again.

It was wonderful to be in the choir that sang Bach's "St. Matthew Passion" earlier this year.

Edited by Covenanter

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Well, we see Aquila and Priscilla both, together teaching Apollos-outside of the assembly I see nothing wrong with it, particularly, in such a case as this, when she is doiing so with her husband, under his authority. However, I also see nothing wrong with it otherwise, particularly in the giving of the gospel.

​I agree with you there

1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

I think this ‘cover’ is to do with being subject to her husband.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Studies have shown that fornication and adultery follows when traditional music is changed to CCM.  It's worldly music with  a sensual appeal.  If they mix in a good hymn or hymn-like song here or there, so what?  Elvis Parsley sang lots of hymns while he was making  money off his pelvis twisting music.  CCM is pretty much the same as Elvis...wicked.

• Moderators

Studies have shown that fornication and adultery follows when traditional music is changed to CCM.  It's worldly music with  a sensual appeal.  If they mix in a good hymn or hymn-like song here or there, so what?  Elvis Parsley sang lots of hymns while he was making  money off his pelvis twisting music.  CCM is pretty much the same as Elvis...wicked.

Can you give us references for those studies? Not that I disagree with the problematic effects of CCM, but its always good for us Christians to have  proof for the information/stories we share. 

• Members

A 1992 refutation of pop-style CCM was published by John Blanchard in 1992 - "Pop Goes the Gospel." I did read it at the time.

I would suggest that the problem is not primarily the music style, but the leadership attitude that welcomes such music. 

We sing to my organ-keyboard played "straight." May old hymns from a traditional hymnbook, and also selected modern hymns, including some hymn-style by Townend & the Gettys. There are, of course, many modern hymns by other writers that are not sung in pop-style. I've included one of my own, based on Hab. 3, to an ancient tune - "Personent Hodie" dating from about 1360.

Habakkuk 3

Tune Personet Hodie

God above, we have heard
of your works in your Word,
now revive in our day
works of gospel power
in this needy hour.
In your wrath O Lord,
In your wrath O Lord,
In your wrath, yet once more,
Lord remember mercy.
When God came to the land
mighty power in his hand
all your tribes marched with you,
singing out your glory
as they told the story.
Mighty shouts of praise,
Mighty shouts of praise,
Shouts of praise filled the land,
made the heathen tremble.
Christ by signs led the way;
fire by night, cloud by day,
mountain heights, depths below
could not stand before you,
nations fell before you.
So be warned, O earth,
So be warned, O earth,
So be warned all mankind,
God is in his temple.
Nations now spurn your Laws;
all around, judgement falls,
your redeemed on you call,
keep us true & faithful;
trusting, praying, watchful.
May we watch and pray;
May we watch and pray;
Watch and pray every day,
for our Lord is coming.
Evil men rule the lands;
they despise your commands;
they will not give you thanks
now the crops are failing
hungry people wailing.
Yet I will rejoice,
Yet I will rejoice,
I will joy in the Lord,
God of my salvation.

Ian Day 2011

• Members

Can you give us references for those studies? Not that I disagree with the problematic effects of CCM, but its always good for us Christians to have  proof for the information/stories we share. 

Nope, sorry, you'll have to take my word for it. 

Edited by Saintnow

• Members

A 1992 refutation of pop-style CCM was published by John Blanchard in 1992 - "Pop Goes the Gospel." I did read it at the time.

I would suggest that the problem is not primarily the music style, but the leadership attitude that welcomes such music. 

We sing to my organ-keyboard played "straight." May old hymns from a traditional hymnbook, and also selected modern hymns, including some hymn-style by Townend & the Gettys. There are, of course, many modern hymns by other writers that are not sung in pop-style. I've included one of my own, based on Hab. 3, to an ancient tune - "Personent Hodie" dating from about 1360.

Habakkuk 3

Tune Personet Hodie

God above, we have heard
of your works in your Word,
now revive in our day
works of gospel power
in this needy hour.
In your wrath O Lord,
In your wrath O Lord,
In your wrath, yet once more,
Lord remember mercy.
When God came to the land
mighty power in his hand
all your tribes marched with you,
singing out your glory
as they told the story.
Mighty shouts of praise,
Mighty shouts of praise,
Shouts of praise filled the land,
made the heathen tremble.
Christ by signs led the way;
fire by night, cloud by day,
mountain heights, depths below
could not stand before you,
nations fell before you.
So be warned, O earth,
So be warned, O earth,
So be warned all mankind,
God is in his temple.
Nations now spurn your Laws;
all around, judgement falls,
your redeemed on you call,
keep us true & faithful;
trusting, praying, watchful.
May we watch and pray;
May we watch and pray;
Watch and pray every day,
for our Lord is coming.
Evil men rule the lands;
they despise your commands;
they will not give you thanks
now the crops are failing
hungry people wailing.
Yet I will rejoice,
Yet I will rejoice,
I will joy in the Lord,
God of my salvation.

Ian Day 2011

There is a problem with the music style of CCM. Music has physical and spiritual effects.  You can see the spiritual effect in how the evil spirit left King Saul alone when David played his hard for the King.  You can see the physical effect in "The Suicide Song" which was composed with such depressing sounds that it became the theme song for many depressed people to commit suicide by.

Things are easy to google if you doubt.

• Members

We are lousing the youth with hymnals only. They are the future of our true faith and the sharing of the gospel of Christ.

According to the parable of the sower, Mt 13:3 it could be argued that three out of four people who hear the gospel will fall away. So to lose most of the youth would be the hard to accept normal, even if all is well with the Gospel delivery.

• Members

I was brought up in the church of England, very Prayer Book, impossible for me to understand. Very dead in fact.

At 14 I was invited to a Bible class run by a neighbouring CofE where singing was from Golden Bells and CSSM choruses. 

I could relate to the songs, and really enjoyed it, was converted at about 18.

60 years on, I am aware of the problem - I choose the hymns and songs for the service. We use a traditional hymn book that includes a children's section - none written after 1900 - and a supplement of modern songs with a few children's songs. The church that gave us the supplement helps with our holiday Bible Club, where new songs are introduced. I add these to the supplement (if I consider them OK) so songs they have enjoyed can be sung in church through the year. 

That approach seems to work.