Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

Rate this topic

The Glory Land

• Advanced Member

Are contemporary songs and music welcome in your church?

Most of the Independent Baptist Churches sing using hymnals only?

One more question, is it a sin to aloud any type of music into the church?

These questions will help me and others, thank you. 

We're an English Independent baptist church, so I can't speak for "most." You will find that this forum actively discourages CCM and links to such songs on youtube. There are, however, plenty of contemporary songs and music that are Biblical, & hymn style, and would be acceptable to our churches. You will also get forum comments that will totally condemn the use of modern songs.

I use modern songs with caution - and play them "straight" using piano or organ register. I do not approve the use of a pop group to lead worship. We use mostly a traditional hymn book. Actually many CCM songs are written by a singer/songwriter and are very difficult to sing without hymn. Guitar interludes and repeats mean that the congregation cannot follow without a strong lead.

Are you familiar with the Reformed "regulative principle" which insists on worship being as commanded in NT Scripture? The full application of this leads to singing only Psalms, unaccompanied. The quality of the old Scottish Metrical Psalms - forced into metre is not generally appreciated in Reformed churches, and hymns and Psalm & Scripture paraphrases are widely used.

We've recently welcomed people from Pentecostal background into our fellowship. They have expressed appreciation of hymns played simply. It is surprising that many in the church do not know the standard hymns we've been singing for centuries.

• Advanced Member

My family and I are now attending a Spanish Baptist church again, we were members of a English Baptist church for many years. We have gone back into the Spanish services which are open to all types of Christian music here. We still sing hymnals too. I am still adjusting to the difference in the worship and participating in the music. The youth are also involve in the music ministry, this is where I can see that there is a difference in traditional and contemporary music. We are lousing the youth with hymnals only. They are the future of our true faith and the sharing of the gospel of Christ.

• Advanced Member

My family and I are now attending a Spanish Baptist church again, we were members of a English Baptist church for many years. We have gone back into the Spanish services which are open to all types of Christian music here. We still sing hymnals too. I am still adjusting to the difference in the worship and participating in the music. The youth are also involve in the music ministry, this is where I can see that there is a difference in traditional and contemporary music. We are lousing the youth with hymnals only. They are the future of our true faith and the sharing of the gospel of Christ.

That, of course, is the heart of the problem. We do not want the "future" to come prematurely  by the promotion of youth as worship leaders, etc, before they are taught & understand the true faith. Let the children come in and take over the "music" with their pop groups and you risk losing the mature Christians.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

If their hearts are backslidden then it doesn't matter what music you have in the church so you might as well stick with the "old, boring hymns". Why? Because with those songs you'll be ministering to those who love the Lord instead of trying to use worldly CCM to placate a bunch of backslidders who's hearts have left the church a long time ago. This backslidders will eventually physically leave no matter what music you play. Don't cast your perils to please the swine.

I'm not a pastor and never will be but this is how I see it.

Oh, maybe let your church decide on if you should have musical instruments or not. Just make sure you keep it in moderation that's all. At the end of the day you are the one who will give account.

Being independent, each IFB church sets their own musical standards. Within IFB churches one might find CCM, adapted CCM, hymns (both traditional and new), Southern Gospel (both traditional and new), Bluegrass Gospel, Country, bands, orchestras, various styles of choirs and much etc.

If it sounds like the music on your local rock station then it's sinful, worldly music and has no place in a New Testament Church.  That's not being angry, that's bible doctrine.

If the words are right and yet it causes your torso to move because of the beat, that's sinful music and has no place in a New Testament Church.

If the words are right and the music is right and yet was written by a homosexual Catholic man who believes Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians too, that too is sinful and has no place in a New Testament Church.  Again, that's not being mean or angry, it's just bible doctrine.

No anger,  just don't care for worldly CCM in church.

Remember, the liberal SBC is losing members, losing children to, & many of them are very liberal & use CCM.

If you want a church full of people just drop God's truths, & especially take the name Baptist off of your Church, & likely you will get them, even many of the younger generation too.

If it sounds like the music on your local rock station then it's sinful, worldly music and has no place in a New Testament Church.  That's not being angry, that's bible doctrine.

If the words are right and yet it causes your torso to move because of the beat, that's sinful music and has no place in a New Testament Church.

If the words are right and the music is right and yet was written by a homosexual Catholic man who believes Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians too, that too is sinful and has no place in a New Testament Church.  Again, that's not being mean or angry, it's just bible doctrine.

Could you explain what you mean by "causes your torso to move"?

No anger,  just don't care for worldly CCM in church.

Remember, the liberal SBC is losing members, losing children to, & many of them are very liberal & use CCM.

If you want a church full of people just drop God's truths, & especially take the name Baptist off of your Church, & likely you will get them, even many of the younger generation too.

One thing I liked about the sermon posted by Pastor Chappell was his continually making the point that in church it's the preaching that is to be of most importance. Nothing, not music or anything else, should be more important than sound biblical preaching.

Boldly preach the Word of God, proclaim the whole counsel of God, read aloud the Word of God and trust the Lord for increase in the congregation.

A circus can draw a crowd but that certainly doesn't mean we should paint three rings on the platform and employ clowns to draw a crowd.

Preach the Word, be in much prayer, rely upon the leading of the Holy Ghost, trust the Lord.

• Moderators

I admit to anger, because CCM is one of the primary tools Satan uses today to destroy formerly godly churches. As Glory Land mentioned, the youth are encouraged to take roles in the church, but they are often apparently NOT overseen and given direction as to what is appropriate. We are so excited to get the younger folks into the work, which I am as well, but they need direction. One title for a pastor is 'Bishop", meaning 'Overseer"-we are to oversee all that is done in the church by lower levels of leadership-each leader in a church does not carry the same authority as the pastor-he is the one who has been tasked with overseeing what goes on-when the deacons were voted into place in Acts, they were under the authority of the Apostles, not just sent to do as they thought best. So our youth and even not-so-young leadership-they MUST be led, must be under authority, or the church will fall from where it stood. The pastor must lead.

BY the way, a modern hymn is not necessarily the same as a contemporary hymn. One it referring to time of writing, while the other refers to the style of the time. One if faddish, the other is not necessarily so.

I admit to anger, because CCM is one of the primary tools Satan uses today to destroy formerly godly churches. As Glory Land mentioned, the youth are encouraged to take roles in the church, but they are often apparently NOT overseen and given direction as to what is appropriate. We are so excited to get the younger folks into the work, which I am as well, but they need direction. One title for a pastor is 'Bishop", meaning 'Overseer"-we are to oversee all that is done in the church by lower levels of leadership-each leader in a church does not carry the same authority as the pastor-he is the one who has been tasked with overseeing what goes on-when the deacons were voted into place in Acts, they were under the authority of the Apostles, not just sent to do as they thought best. So our youth and even not-so-young leadership-they MUST be led, must be under authority, or the church will fall from where it stood. The pastor must lead.

BY the way, a modern hymn is not necessarily the same as a contemporary hymn. One it referring to time of writing, while the other refers to the style of the time. One if faddish, the other is not necessarily so.

Your last paragraph sounds similar to what Pastor Chappell says.

There is a local church that many like because of their active children/youth programs. I've visited the church and know several who attend and many more who send their children there. True enough, they have a very active children/youth program, but both are driven by the children/youth, both are greatly lacking in leading them to Christ, both are lacking in discipling, and both are entertainment driven.

Many used to constantly ask me why I don't send my children there or outright say I'm wrong for not sending my children there. They don't think our church children/youth program is good enough; mostly because it's smaller but they blame that on our lack of willingness to turn our children/youth programs into entertainment clubs. Now that I'm down to one child still at home and they've grown tired of hearing my biblical reasons for wanting my children in our churches programs rather than the worldly entertainment driven stuff at the other church, it's rare anyone says anything to me about it all anymore.

• Moderators

Many used to constantly ask me why I don't send my children there or outright say I'm wrong for not sending my children there. They don't think our church children/youth program is good enough; mostly because it's smaller but they blame that on our lack of willingness to turn our children/youth programs into entertainment clubs. Now that I'm down to one child still at home and they've grown tired of hearing my biblical reasons for wanting my children in our churches programs rather than the worldly entertainment driven stuff at the other church, it's rare anyone says anything to me about it all anymore.

Funny, part of my preaching this morning was on exactly this-alomst sounds like a line right out of the sermon!