• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music In The Independent Baptist Churches

• Members

Are contemporary songs and music welcome in your church?

Most of the Independent Baptist Churches sing using hymnals only?

One more question, is it a sin to aloud any type of music into the church?

These questions will help me and others, thank you. 

Unfortunately, in my present church, they are.

In my last IFB church, they used hymnals for congregationals, but used music written by more modern artists like Ron Hamilton and even more contemporary music in the choir.

As to your last question, I believe yes, it is a sin. The Bible says to make "melody in your hearts unto the Lord". I just find it hard to make melody in my heart to God through things like electric guitar distortions and ungodly drum beats. If the music is suitable for "disco" or "The Rolling Stones" it can't be godly Christian music.

• Members

Unfortunately, in my present church, they are.

In my last IFB church, they used hymnals for congregationals, but used music written by more modern artists like Ron Hamilton and even more contemporary music in the choir.

As to your last question, I believe yes, it is a sin. The Bible says to make "melody in your hearts unto the Lord". I just find it hard to make melody in my heart to God through things like electric guitar distortions and ungodly drum beats. If the music is suitable for "disco" or "The Rolling Stones" it can't be godly Christian music.

I do understand what you are saying, but your church will not grow in numbers for the Lord. It may even shrink in numbers/members. Are you wrong maybe not, are you right maybe not.

Edited by The Glory Land

• Members

I do understand what you are saying, but your church will not grow in numbers for the Lord. It may even srink in numbers/members. Are you wrong maybe not, are you right maybe not.

It's better for a church to grow spiritually first ..then it can grow in numbers. Entertainment and worldly music feeds the flesh. Worship is all about spirit and truth. ,..

• Members

I do understand what you are saying, but your church will not grow in numbers for the Lord. It may even shrink in numbers/members. Are you wrong maybe not, are you right maybe not.

When Jesus told His disciples to cast their net on the other side, He did not tell them to get a new boat, change their clothes or hair styles, get a woman to help, or change the music on their IPOD.  All they had to do was obey.  When we follow Christ, He will make us fishers of men, we can't do it ourselves.  If we feel we need to change or adapt, basically we are saying we can go it alone without Christ's help, and that is asking for disaster.

• Members

There are plenty of churches in this area that use CCM or other forms of music but they don't draw crowds. Our church has more members than several of those. Yet there are some churches like that which do have larger attendance.

It's takes more than just music, of whatever kind, to draw folks, whether for the right or wrong reasons.

• Members

1 Cor. 2

4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Paul didn't even change the way he talked to attract people.  The power of God is all that is needed and if a church loses members because the church's stand against CCM, those members weren't worth having in the first place. 

• Administrators

You guys want to reach the lost too right? 

The lost are not reached for Christ by using the world's philosophy - whether it's in music, speech, dress, feminism, etc. The lost are reached by the gospel which is presented by saved people who are obedient to the Word of God.  

• Members

The lost are not reached for Christ by using the world's philosophy - whether it's in music, speech, dress, feminism, etc. The lost are reached by the gospel which is presented by saved people who are obedient to the Word of God.  

But we have talent and wonderful tools.  :woohoo: