• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Resurrection Sunday

irishman

• Members

Resurrection Sunday
Galatians 2:20

At Christmastime we are reminded of the birth of Christ, and at Easter, His resurrection. You night say that Christmas was the birth of our redemption, and Easter the completion of it. It is not so much that he was born though, as it is that he died for us; and it is not so much that He died as it is that he lives for us. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Yes, one must remember that without the resurrection, Christmas would be the end of our redemption, and, though precious as it is, it would not be enough. We need a living Savior; and thank God, we have a living Savior.

What good a Savior that has passed on and left nothing tangible behind? Can one live off the legacy of another? Can one find solace in time of need from a ghost of the past? Can one count on promises made when the maker of those promises was not powerful enough to defeat the greatest enemy of mankind? Thank God for Easter. Thank God that we have such a Savior as Jesus. He is the “resurrection and the life”, and we can be assured, by the testimony of an empty tomb, that He is alive today, and sitteth at the right hand of God. Lazarus knows the about Easter better than any of us; he has experienced a bodily resurrection, by the wonderful grace of God. When things get rough, and they definitely do, and will, remember Jesus, and what He did for Lazarus; When things get you down, look up! Jesus us still there making intercession before the Father for us. Thank God for the unspeakable gift of life everlasting, and for a live, and living Savior who cares about you and I.

Without the resurrection, the Gospel would be incomplete. Thank God that He finished the job, not on the cross only, but in the resurrection. Calvary and the blood of Christ took away our sins, but the resurrection provided eternal life for us; it sealed our redemption for us. Rise now to the challenge of Easter, and receive life eternal.

Edited by irishman

• Members

Yes, its a thing handed down by those that worship false gods and has nothing whatsoever to do with the resurrection of Jesus.

People in those days would play with colored eggs, even making human sacrifice to their false fertility goddess, Isthar & Ashtoreth, the fertility goddess. They would even sacrifice their very own children to theses false gods, and having illicit sex was another part of their worship of these false gods. Why borrow anything from them?

Elijah had a run in with such people that worshiped false gods, his famous words are, "How long halt ye between two opinions."

1Ki 18:21 ¶ And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word.
1Ki 18:22 Then said Elijah unto the people, I, even I only, remain a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men.
1Ki 18:23 Let them therefore give us two bullocks; and let them choose one bullock for themselves, and cut it in pieces, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under: and I will dress the other bullock, and lay it on wood, and put no fire under:
1Ki 18:24 And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD: and the God that answereth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.
1Ki 18:25 And Elijah said unto the prophets of Baal, Choose you one bullock for yourselves, and dress it first; for ye are many; and call on the name of your gods, but put no fire under.
1Ki 18:26 And they took the bullock which was given them, and they dressed it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even until noon, saying, O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered. And they leaped upon the altar which was made.
1Ki 18:27 And it came to pass at noon, that Elijah mocked them, and said, Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked.
1Ki 18:28 And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them.
1Ki 18:29 And it came to pass, when midday was past, and they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that there was neither voice, nor any to answer, nor any that regarded.
1Ki 18:30 And Elijah said unto all the people, Come near unto me. And all the people came near unto him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down.
1Ki 18:31 And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, unto whom the word of the LORD came, saying, Israel shall be thy name:
1Ki 18:32 And with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD: and he made a trench about the altar, as great as would contain two measures of seed.
1Ki 18:33 And he put the wood in order, and cut the bullock in pieces, and laid him on the wood, and said, Fill four barrels with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice, and on the wood.
1Ki 18:34 And he said, Do it the second time. And they did it the second time. And he said, Do it the third time. And they did it the third time.
1Ki 18:35 And the water ran round about the altar; and he filled the trench also with water.
1Ki 18:36 And it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy word.
1Ki 18:37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that thou art the LORD God, and that thou hast turned their heart back again.
1Ki 18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that was in the trench.
1Ki 18:39 And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces: and they said, The LORD, he is the God; the LORD, he is the God.
1Ki 18:40 And Elijah said unto them, Take the prophets of Baal; let not one of them escape. And they took them: and Elijah brought them down to the brook Kishon, and slew them there.

And why would anyone use colored or chocolate eggs to teach children about God when the original use of such things was in sacrificing children to a false god in hope of appeasing him so that they would have good crops, and their women would bear many babies?

As for teaching children, there be plenty of other ways to teach children about Jesus and His Father without borrowing from tactics from heathens that worship false gods.

Easter is the name of the goddess Isthar referred to in the scriptures as
"Ashtoreth" and "the Queen of Heaven" Easter is the name of the goddess
Isthar referred to in the scriptures as "Ashtoreth" and "the Queen of
Heaven"

Jer 7:18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.
Jer 44:17 But we will certainly do whatsoever thing goeth forth out of our own mouth, to burn incense unto the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, as we have done, we, and our fathers, our kings, and our princes, in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem: for then had we plenty of victuals, and were well, and saw no evil.
Jer 44:18 But since we left off to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her, we have wanted all things, and have been consumed by the sword and by the famine.
Jer 44:19 And when we burned incense to the queen of heaven, and poured out drink offerings unto her, did we make her cakes to worship her, and pour out drink offerings unto her, without our men?

1Ki 11:5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.
1Ki 11:33 Because that they have forsaken me, and have worshipped Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, Chemosh the god of the Moabites, and Milcom the god of the children of Ammon, and have not walked in my ways, to do that which is right in mine eyes, and to keep my statutes and my judgments, as did David his father.
2Ki 23:13 And the high places that were before Jerusalem, which were on the right hand of the mount of corruption, which Solomon the king of Israel had builded for Ashtoreth the abomination of the Zidonians, and for Chemosh the abomination of the Moabites, and for Milcom the abomination of the children of Ammon, did the king defile.

Easter is use one time in the Bible, it is referring to the pagan holiday, not the resurrection of Jesus Christ, to show the timing of when Herod was panning on killing Peter.

Ac 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

• Members

We had a good sevice this morning with quite a few who do not usually attend. The preacher gave a good message based on Resurrection Sunday and presented a clear gospel message.

The news when we returned home was:

The Pope has urged diplomacy and dialogue to end the conflict in Libya, in his blessing at Easter Sunday Mass in St Peter's Square at the Vatican.

Pope Benedict also called for relief to be delivered to all those in need as a result of the conflict.

Speaking about the Middle East, he expressed hope that peace would triumph over division, hate and violence.

He also appealed for solidarity with refugees fleeing conflict, particularly from African countries.

The head of the Roman Catholic Church appeared before of tens of thousands of worshippers.

Resplendent in white and gold, Benedict led the ceremony from an altar set up on the steps of the basilica, under a red canopy to shield him from rain or sun. Some 42,000 bright flowers and plants donated by Holland bedecked the square, to symbolise hope and love.

The Archbishop of Canterbury has said in his Easter sermon that corporate prosperity without fulfilment is an "empty thing".

Rowan Williams said it was a good thing that people were realising there is "more to life than Gross National Product".

Earlier, the Archbishop of Westminster said he was praying for those in areas blighted by conflict and disaster.

Archbishop Vincent Nichols said he hoped for peace in Libya and elsewhere.

"We watch the work of death every day, in the natural disasters of Japan, in the ceaseless work of war in zones of conflict around the world," he said in his Easter homily.

• Members

Sounds nice you had a great Easter Sunday at church maybe next year we will be able to Lord willing.

My Catholic Mother however, told me on the phone tonight that there was a crowd at her Catholic Church and she was complaining about it. I was going to ask what is the reason why people go to church on Easter? Anyhow I kept my mouth closed and went unto the next subject.

• Administrators

We had a wonderful day yesterday, also. Our annual preaching conference technically kicked off yesterday. Pastor Unger from Canada preached both a.m. and p.m. services. Good messages. There were souls saved, too, which is the best part! :icon_mrgreen: Last night's message was a definite challenge to us, as Christians, to come to truly know the power of Christ's resurrection in our lives.

Grades 3-6 did a small program at the beginning of the service. Each year it is different. This year, the kids took us through the reason Christ came, and ended with our responsibility as Christians to spread the Gospel.

We don't normally go to anyone's home after the morning services, but some friends invited us over for dinner. The food was great, and the fellowship was wonderful.

After the evening service, some of my Sunday School kids met me and the main Sunday School teacher to make some deliveries. Our class missionaries are the international students who are here in college. We have one from Cambodia, one from Mongolia, 1 from Mexico, 1 from Africa, and 2 from Grenada. During March and April, we had a promotion going where we gathered quarters for each student, putting them in individual can banks. The kids all signed all of the banks. And then we got some laundry soap and fabric softener and put them in a basket (even though the baskets were small, think laundry basket :icon_mrgreen: ), put the cans with the quarters in them (the laundry machines take quarters) and gave the baskets to the students last night. It was fun to do, fun to see their faces. And our kids loved it. We're excited that our missionaries for class are here with us - we can do so much for them, with the kids. And the kids can see the students on a daily basis and watch how God answers prayer and works in their lives. I know, not a typical Easter thing, but still...

• Administrators

Oh, I've seen his name before. He's from one of David Cloud's three-star churches. Not sure what the third star stands for though... ;)

Cloud has a list of churches (the list is well-used by people all over) that are true to scripture. The asterisk system was put in place after he began sending out questionnaires. I know people might think it's presumptuous of him to do so, but it actually can be helpful when trying to find a church. Those with two asterisks are churches he has personal knowledge of. I would venture a guess that the third asterisk is because the church there in Ontario publishes Cloud's materials.