• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A hole in the water

heartstrings

• Members

This father's day, my grandson gave me a little home-made card with a picture drawn in crayon.  Then he said "Papa, that's you fishin' ....and that's me with you". So I went out and bought a boat. It's a 1978 model 14' fiberglass with a 35 horse Johnson, remote steering, galvanized trailer, and the guy even threw in 3 life jackets, a landing net, a paddle, fire extinguisher, alarm whistle and half a tank of gas. for $600! I knew when I bought it, that it would need a new "bendix" on the electric starter so I ordered one on Ebay and installed that on Saturday: $23. I pulled it into town today so PawPaw and myself could take it for a whirl on the lake after work. Unfortunately one of the trailer's wheel bearings blew out on the way and that was another $16 plus $4 for a can of grease. Next, it will be about $100 or so for the tag, tax, and title transfer and $17 for a fishing license and I haven't even gotten the thing wet yet. I've heard that a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money. I hope that's not true.

boat.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks brother Alan,

I have since bought two brand new tire/rims for the trailer and will be using the originals for spares. about $120 The boat registration and whatever ended up being $84. and now  I'm looking for a good used foot-controlled trolling motor...a new one costs almost what I paid for the whole rig. :4_6_100:Meantime, I got caught up on design work today and planning to take tomorrow off to go fishing with my grandson. Can't wait! :)

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I thought I responded to this when you first posted it?

Congrats - a hole in the water.....that you throw money into.....:laugh:

Flat sides, broad bow - nice and stable for moving around in. River or lake fishing?

Or is it an inlet maybe?

• Members
2 hours ago, DaveW said:

I thought I responded to this when you first posted it?

Congrats - a hole in the water.....that you throw money into.....:laugh:

Flat sides, broad bow - nice and stable for moving around in. River or lake fishing?

Or is it an inlet maybe?

Thanks, so far we;ve been to Gap Lake once http://w.washingtonfl.com/parks/gaplake/gap.htm

and Holmes Creek twice  http://paddleflorida.net/holmes-creek-paddle.htm

and hoping to take it on a camping/fishing trip up the Choctawhatcheee River when the weather cools off this fall.  http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/wmas/cooperative/choctawhatchee-river

Tomorrow, we will probably just do Blue Lake https://www.google.com/maps/place/Blue+Lake/@30.7419678,-85.5528887,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8893013ad46e163f:0xa354bffd354bd873!8m2!3d30.7419156!4d-85.5505947

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Cathy, one of the ladies who attend our weekly Bethany Lunch for the over 60s lives in a bungalow owned by her late husband.  She has the right to live there till she dies then it will revert to his sons.  (She has outlived three husbands, she must be careless) On he drive was a boat which he left to his sons, but it had been there for over six years and hey didn't take it.  Then it seems to have been stolen and the sons soon came and wanted to know where it was. 

Edited by Invicta

• Moderators
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, heartstrings said:

I've heard that a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money. I hope that's not true.

boat.jpg

Remember BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand!

• Members
9 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Remember BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand!

Well, at that size maybe another $Ten!  

Enjoy!  My daughter has been asking me to build one for us to use for fishing.  

• Members
On 7/27/2017 at 11:19 PM, BroMatt said:

This city boy does not do fishing, but have fun. :laugh:

I'm not really into fishing myself. I'm extremely allergic and can't eat fish or seafood of any kind so I guess that makes it even less attractive. Just did this to spend time with my grandson and stepfather. Friday morning, my Grandson and I took the boat to Blue Lake. We didn't catch a single fish but I taught him how to start and drive the boat.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
6 hours ago, heartstrings said:

I'm not really into fishing myself. I'm extremely allergic and can't eat fish or seafood of any kind so I guess that makes it even less attractive. Just did this to spend time with my grandson and stepfather. Friday morning, my Grandson and I took the boat to Blue Lake. We didn't catch a single fish but I taught him how to start and drive the boat.

Both my wife and eldest daughter are allergic to fish. This is mainly why my wife has been a vegetarian since she was a baby when she could not digest fish or meat. It was the beginning of the war with food rationing, and she was put on a vegetarian ration.  My daughter worked as a nanny for a family which was vegan plus fish (Don't ask me, I don't know how they work that one out)   For a while my daughter went on their diet , but soon she had bad rashes and headaches when she ate fish.  She also got bad headaches when she had a little Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce on her food.  It has anchovy in the ingredients.

• Members

Man, I feel for them. I used to eat fish up until I was about 16 or so, and I just LOVE shrimp and scallops. But the last time I ate shrimp, it cost me a trip to the ER. I can't stand to even be in the room where it's frying.

When we dine out, I settle for a ribeye steak :)

• Members

When we were first married  we spent a day at Leysdown on sea.  I had some shellfish there, and was so ill after, I thought I was going to die.  My granddaughter, Jemimah Is due to go and help at a beach mission at Leysdown  shortly.  I warned her not to eat the shellfish.

11 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Man, I feel for them. I used to eat fish up until I was about 16 or so, and I just LOVE shrimp and scallops. But the last time I ate shrimp, it cost me a trip to the ER. I can't stand to even be in the room where it's frying.

When we dine out, I settle for a ribeye steak :)

Trouble is I love fish and they both feel ill at the smell of fish especially smoked fish.  I have smoked salmon steak for supper this evening.  I will have to keep the doors and windows open.