• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lousy Hymns

Ukulelemike

• Members

Col_3:16  Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

I didn't say that --- THE BIBLE does!!!

Incidentally, we spend MUCH more time in preaching and memorizing Scripture than singing.

"I didn't say that --- THE BIBLE does!!!"  I am very capable of reading what the Bible says.

The question still stands: "How does one teach another through singing". Also: How does one admonish another through singing?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If a person is pretribulational and premillennial in doctrine, why sing a song with an amillennial setting (The King is Coming)? See chorus in relationship to 2nd verse:

Why sing a song giving 2nd coming events in remembrance of the 1st coming (Joy to the World)? See verse 3 (the others are in same time context but 3 is glaringly obvious. I actually doubt Handel had the 1st coming in mind with this song at all but rather the 2nd):

No more let sin and sorrow grow
Nor thorns infest the ground
He comes to make
His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found
Far as the curse is found
Far as, far as the curse is found

Isaac Watts wrote that hymn - Handel wrote the tune "Antioch."

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing.

Joy to the earth, the Saviour reigns!
Let men their songs employ;
While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains
Repeat the sounding joy.

No more let sins and sorrows grow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found.

He rules the world with truth and grace,
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness,
And wonders of His love.

I've never thought of this as a second coming hymn, but essentially a Gospel hymn. Receive YOUR King, as Lord & Saviour; you will truly sing his praise with joy as you receive blessings where you deserve his curse, and YOU will prove The glories of His righteousness, And wonders of His love.

• Members

How do we apply:

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

We remember what we sing more readily then a sermon - unless (IMO) the preacher takes a very firm line - read the Word; explain the Word; apply the Word - & reinforce it with related hymns & Psalms through the service.  

• Members

I always thought of The King Is Coming as a pre trib hymn.

Anyway, it can't be wrong according to Bill Gaither as he said he wrote it under the direction of the Holy Spirit.

• Members

There are some hymns that have bad theology but I can't remember them off hand - 'cause we just don't sing them. :lol:

I always tell people not to get their theology from the hymn book. ;)

• Members

This is why typically only a handful of hymns are actually used from the hymnbook while the others go unsung.

This would be my church.  I have always wondered why we only sing a handful of hymns from the hymn book.  On the other hand, the music ministry in my church puts together other songs, outside of the hymn book, which is really edifying before my pastor starts to preach.

• Members

When the Roll is Called up Yonder. Don't believe that God will have to check who is present and who is not.

When I See the Blood. I for one surely don't want Him to pass over me when He returns for his children. Haven't looked at it; but "Blessed Assurance" sounds real goooood!!

No matter how perfect something may be; some can find something to disagree with. Have no problem when someone expressed their disagreements; Just don't go about making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

• Members

The song 'Jerusalem' can consistently be relied upon to cause a bit of strife, especially in CofE churches, because it's a popular choice for weddings but is also banned in many churches on the grounds that it's not a hymn. Every so often there's a story in the paper about a disgruntled bride and groom not getting to sing it.

And did those feet in ancient time.
Walk upon England's mountains green:
And was the holy Lamb of God,
On England's pleasant pastures seen!

And did the Countenance Divine,
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here,
Among these dark Satanic Mills?

Bring me my Bow of burning gold;
Bring me my Arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England's green & pleasant Land

I remember seeing an interview with a CofE vicar on the TV news once--another 'Jerusalem banned at wedding' story--and his fairly tongue-in-cheek defence of the ban was: "the song asks four questions and the answers are no, no, no and no."!

• Members

I've heard that joy to the World is actually a song of the millennial Reign.....

Don't believe everything you hear - except from the Scriptures. If you read the words of that hymn, they are clear Gospel words, written in the present tense & applying the the present Gospel age.

>The supposed dispensationalism of Isaac Watts was discussed in this thread.

Archived