• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Here A Good One" Can I Clap My Hands In Your Church?

The Glory Land

• Members

SFIC, those verses were only for the Jews under the Law and we're not under the Law nor are we Jews where the sanctuary referred to in the Greek was really the temple.   :bleh:   (Being facetious!)

Let the charismatics wave their hands around and seek spiritual emotions from the rock-n-roll music.  We sing for the Lord and not for ourselves though many bible truths in the hymns speak to us.  We don't clap but we do say: AMEN!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think I've ever raised my hands in church. There have been times in my private prayer and worship when I lift my hands to the Lord, just as there are times I get on my knees or take other postures.

Saying "amen" isn't always unto God. I've been in churches and gatherings before where the "amens" are a praise to the speaker, not a "so be it" or "let it be" unto the Lord.

The same applies to clapping. As Heartstrings pointed out, there is a way to clap in appreciation for one sharing their God given gift which helps glorify the Lord. There is also forms of clapping which gives undue praise to someone. Just as we shouldn't toss out the use of "amen" because some abuse it, we shouldn't toss out all clapping because some abuse it.

There is also clapping which accompanies some songs. I've been in Baptist churches where they clapped to songs such as "I'll Fly Away". Clapping and hand raising are not the province Charismatics or those listening to rock music. Clapping and hand raising were a part of some Baptist churches long before Charismatics and rock music.

Clapping and hand raising, both of which are biblical, are mostly an area of preference and subject to the rules of order. Clapping and hand raising can be a part of worship and praise to the Lord.

Myself, I've never felt moved of the Spirit to raise my hands in church. I've clapped to some songs in churches before where such is common, but not to every song and it's not something I would do in a church which is basically clap-free. As I think I mentioned in another post, our church is very "clap limited"; and I've never seen anyone raise their hands during a service.

• Moderators

This subject makes me laugh a little. I used to be very accustomed to raising my hands in song from my Pentecostal background! When I first came to my IFB church, well, it was very apparent that that was not a common practice there. (Our church is a fairly reserved church. Not a lot of amens except after a special.) :wink  So when we'd be singing a song that I particularly wanted to raise my hands for, I would cup them on the back of the pew or in my lap, palms upward, and 'raise' my hands without actually raising them! :lol:  My friends used to notice and give me a hard time for such 'liberal' practices. :frog:  The funny thing is that after 7 years of being here, I'm no longer used to 'raising' my hands. Thought about it while singing last Sunday, and it actually felt strange to do so. Guess one gets used to different things over time...

• Members

I was a member of an IFB church which was once heavily affiliated with the Resaca, GA IFB "circles". During revivals and camp meetings, there was a great deal of hand raising, shouting, praying aloud all at the same time, running the aisles, even walking the pews, After awhile, you get used to it. There was , however, no rolling on the floor or speaking in tongues.

• Members

I was a member of an IFB church which was once heavily affiliated with the Resaca, GA IFB "circles". During revivals and camp meetings, there was a great deal of hand raising, shouting, praying aloud all at the same time, running the aisles, even walking the pews, After awhile, you get used to it. There was , however, no rolling on the floor or speaking in tongues.

I've attended IFB churches which were much like Pentacostal churches, minus tongues or floor moves.

I've also attended IFB churches where the congregation seemed almost to be statues as they were silent and barely moved.

To a great extent, this is a matter of preference. Like you and Salyan have said, it also has to do with what we are used to. A person can get used to a more expressive church and they can get used to a very reserved church, or anything in between.

• Administrators

I've seen it done in my church when my pastor's mother visits. Now that I know what it symbolizes, I'll be bringing a hanky to every service!

I like that, it's feminine.

That was the whole idea, so that instead of speaking Amen, they say Amen by waving (the pastor in that church jokingly called it a wave offering to the Lord).   

Jerry, I don't know if it's common all over the south or not.  I never saw it done when I lived in OK of FL.  That pastor was from KY, so maybe it's a regional thing - if it's still practiced.  We've been gone from that church (which closed down many years ago) for 27 years, so don't have any idea where else it happens now.

• Members

This subject makes me laugh a little. I used to be very accustomed to raising my hands in song from my Pentecostal background! When I first came to my IFB church, well, it was very apparent that that was not a common practice there. (Our church is a fairly reserved church. Not a lot of amens except after a special.) :wink  So when we'd be singing a song that I particularly wanted to raise my hands for, I would cup them on the back of the pew or in my lap, palms upward, and 'raise' my hands without actually raising them! :lol:  My friends used to notice and give me a hard time for such 'liberal' practices. :frog:  The funny thing is that after 7 years of being here, I'm no longer used to 'raising' my hands. Thought about it while singing last Sunday, and it actually felt strange to do so. Guess one gets used to different things over time...

I am not Pentecostal or charismatic,  but when raise my hand or hands in a group for a special need, with other members at the same time, praying for the same cause, I feel the power of the spirit at work. This is not to practice every day or week. Only for certain special needs, done too often there will be no power of the spirit. Why? Because then you will be putting your trust in the wrong thing.

Archived