• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What does the Bible say about this?

• Members

First let me say that i believe we serve a fair and just God, so there must be a legitimate answer to my question. My question is "What of the Indians, people from tribes in Africa and other places that have never heard of Jesus?" Im talking mostly about when America was first being settled etc... What about the Indians that were here and died before the message of Christ was brought over? Im know they are connected all the way back to Adam and Eve, but that doesn't address people who died while practicing whatever their tribe was into? IOW does the Bible address what happens to people who live, die, and never hear the Gospel?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

They go to Hell, rightly, because of their sins. Read Romans 2.

Hell is fair and just. The Gospel is beyond just--nobody deserves it.

Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame. (1 Corinthians 15:34)

• Members

They go to Hell, rightly, because of their sins. Read Romans 2.

Hell is fair and just. The Gospel is beyond just--nobody deserves it.

Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame. (1 Corinthians 15:34)

I agree that they end up in hell. Its just that it seems akin to spanking a child without ever telling them they what they did wrong. I am not trying to bring anyone to doubt anything, i am just looking to find some answers.

• Members

For there is no respect of persons with God. For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
(Romans 2:11-16)

Their conscience tells them what they do wrong.

There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. (Romans 3:11)

• Members

The instant one commits sin, one is destined for hell as a punishment for their acts against the Almighty. If one dies without Christ, then they have no hope of forgiveness, and no hope of escaping hellfire. It is a very sad truth. :sobstory:

• Members

A lot of people were dying and going to hell before Jesus came. Since it was only the Jews who made sacrifices to God. When Jesus came, nothing changed.

None of us look for God, He is the one that draws us, if we don't harden our hearts, He will show us the truth. A friend of mine went to Vanuatu a few years ago to kind of help out one of the missionaries there, as they were going deep into tribal areas they came across a man glad to see them. This man has never seen anyone outside of his village, the night before he was looking into the sky, and it just dawned on him there was a God, and he wanted to try and find out about Him. So when my friend and the missionary came, the told him all about God :)

God works miracles.

-Alen

• Members

They will be judged before they will be cast in hell. Those who never heard the gospel and open their heart, God will take care of it. Most of the time, he will send missionary or a christian to them so they can hear the good news. But those who have hardened their heart, God isn't going to waste his time on sending missionaries to people like that, I don't think.

• Members

Romans 1:18-20

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

I used this illustration in a sermon one time. God has planted a spiritual light in every human being (verses 19-20). How each individual responds to that light determines their eternity. If a person responds correctly, seeking the True Light (as in Alen's example), God ensures that person gains more light. The Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8 is another perfect example of responding correctly and God answering that correct response.

However, if that person responds as verse 21 says, then that light begins to dim. I think that's where idols, totem poles, and such come from. Let's say the tribal chief asks the medicine man why trees are the way they are. The medicine man, not wanting to look stupid to the chief, tells the chief about a tree god. Then, the medicine man has to continue the charade, blinding the entire tribe to the truth.

My :2cents ,

Mitch

• Members

Well clearly, from what God's word says...they go to hell.

Yet some Africans and Native Americans were slain because they were considered sub-human or some form of human-looking demons. Somewhat difficult share the Good News, when one kills a potential recipient. It's foolish to believe everybody hardened their heart against being open to hear The Gospel and receive Christ. Some were never given the opportunity to be informed that a Saviour came from Glory! No excuse, but a great reason not to waste time, in sharing nor excluding anyone from The Gospel...everyday brings us closer to the return of Christ.

• Members

Sorry for being off topic. But I'm trying to think of several ways the Gospel can be ministered that wasn't available at the time of the Apostles. I know there's the internet, tracts, television, radio, what else is there? The reason as to why I am asking is because one of the signs that we are living in the time of Christ's return is preaching of the Gospel. "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come" - Matthew 24:14.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

A lot of people use this thing, "What about those natives who never heard the gospel? Is God fair?" to mock at the Bible and attack it.

Well, if God were 'fair', He would throw EVERYONE, including us, into hell! It is only His infinite love and mercy that He has chosen to give the gospel of salvation to us, starting from Israel onwards with the Jewish believers, who will then preach it to all the nations.

And by the way, Madeline, the gospel witness is still lacking. The so-called 10/40 window, with most of the Asian countries, are largely unreached, whereas Western Europe is also largely unreached as well with apostate churches and secular humanism.

• Members

I appreciate everyone's posts. I mean no disrespect when i say that i still feel unanswered. I understand that the Bible is clear on what happens to those who die without Christ. Ill continue to seek an answer to this in my Bible, in prayer, and using the resources i have available to me.

• Members

They will go to hell. This is why God exhorts believers to share Christ with others.

Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Psa 19:1 [[To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.]] The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

• Members

I'm afraid that is the only answer you will find, that they all went to hell. God draws all of us (John 6:44) if we hearken to His call, He will bring us the gospel, somehow, someway. It may not be "fair" that millions of people die everyday without ever hearing the gospel, but at the same time it wasn't fair that Christ had to die for our sins. All ever anyone is getting is what they deserve. It is only by God's undeserving mercy that we even get another option besides hell. We are all responsible for our sins, whether we hear the gospel or not, as someone noted because of our conscience. Those having not heard the gospel however may have some more leniency that that of someone who has heard it many times, living in a western country (Luke 12:47-48).

So many people have not heard the gospel, and the laborers are few, so we need to pray for more laborers, more missionaries to spread the gospel in lands afar. (Luke 10:2). I believe this is one of the only things God commands us to pray for.

-Alen