• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christian divorced man

• Members

As far as I remember, if a divorced man was a Christian, before coming to Christ or after, could not be a deacon, teacher, or preacher. Has this changed? and is it OK for divorce Preachers give marriage counseling classes to a family in need, of counseling.

Edited by TheGloryLand

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

As far as I remember, if a divorced man was a Christian, before coming to Christ or after, could not be a deacon, teacher, or preacher. Has this changed? and is it OK for divorce Preachers give marriage counseling classes to a family in need, of counseling.

Biblically, my hubs and I believe it is still wrong. As to a divorced man giving counseling, well - if he has learned from what brought about the divorce and has grown spiritually, I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I don't think the Bible addresses it, either, so there's nothing we could say is unbiblical about it. Now, if the man is an unrepentant adulterer, then no way (and believe me, there are far too many unrepentant adulterers in pulpits and/or involved in ministries).

• Members

My ex BIL was a militant IFB pastor for many years. He and my sister had five daughters, two sets of twins and a single birth, and he was strongly against divorced men in the pulpit or even serving in the church. To my mother and fathers face he was "respectful", but in actions in front of his eife and kids at home he was a Pharisee making himself out to be far better than he was. After my sister divorced him for extreme mental cruelty towards her and the girls, he started using the verse about letting the unbeliever depart. After a couple of years working at Lowes he started working with the youth of the church he was attending and remarried. He later became the youth pastor. A couple of years later he threw ALL of his beliefs out the window to justify becoming a pastor again. He now pastors a church in S. Georgia. He councils others concerning divorce and consistently tries to relieve himself of any responsibility in his own. It's sad how many who are staunchly anti divorced men in the pastorate are for it once it's come to their doorstep. 

Edited by BrotherTony