• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Any Plumbers Out There?

Ukulelemike

• Moderators

Anyone know anything about plumbing?  Here's the thing:

I bought an old trailer a bit ago for my farm, and I have been working on getting it up and usable. I got down to the plumbing, and found piping I did not recognize. After some research, I found it is called 'Qest' pipe, or made by the Qest company. It's gray and flexible, and looks like good stuff, but I have nt been able to find any for a small repair, but I also understand there was some legal issue with it, and the company went under.

So, I really dont need any of it specifically, but I am curious as to if anyone knows what the issue was with it? It seems all in almost brand-new condition, despite the age, so I am curious if I need to replace it, which I really don't want to do, or if its safe to use.

Thanks, all!

• Members

A bit of a search and it seems the problem is with splitting of the pipes.
So as far as I can see there is no health issue with it, simply a leakage issue.
So in that case it is up to you if you replace it all for peace of mind or wait till it needs replacing.
It does seem that low pressure systems have less problems so a trailer might not suffer.

• Members

I'm not a plumber by trade, but I do my own plumbing. Copper is easy to solder together. All you need is a small hand tubing cutter, a piece of sandpaper, a small can of flux and a propane torch. But Cu is expensive. With PVC, all you need is a PVC cutter(better than using a hacksaw) for about $10, some pipe cleaner and a small can of PVC glue. Don't buy anything but the small can of glue, even for big jobs, because it will gel before you finish. With the PVC you won't have any leaks and it is cheap; much cheaper than copper. I just finished installing about 1500' of 1" and 1.5"PVC  underground in my pastures. Super easy to use. It's also not as susceptible to sunlight as the Qest stuff is.

Here's some info about the "Qest" pipe...

http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Take-Another-Look-at-Polybutylene-Plumbing/955

• Moderators

I'm not a plumber by trade, but I do my own plumbing. Copper is easy to solder together. All you need is a small hand tubing cutter, a piece of sandpaper, a small can of flux and a propane torch. But Cu is expensive. With PVC, all you need is a PVC cutter(better than using a hacksaw) for about $10, some pipe cleaner and a small can of PVC glue. Don't buy anything but the small can of glue, even for big jobs, because it will gel before you finish. With the PVC you won't have any leaks and it is cheap; much cheaper than copper. I just finished installing about 1500' of 1" and 1.5"PVC  underground in my pastures. Super easy to use. It's also not as susceptible to sunlight as the Qest stuff is.

Here's some info about the "Qest" pipe...

http://www.ashireporter.org/HomeInspection/Articles/Take-Another-Look-at-Polybutylene-Plumbing/955

Interestingly, the Qest is attached to PVC where it runs to the water heater, and its the only thing already broken. We get extremely cold out here, and PVC breaks pretty easily when it freezes. If I have to replace it, I'll probably use Pex.

• Members

Yeah, it freezes here and usually only gets down into the 20's, very rarely into the teens.  I have seen both galvanized and copper pipe split wide open here in FL.. but so far I haven't had even any of my outdoor PVC to rupture in over 26 years, but I'm sure it gets much colder where you are. Whatever you do, I hope it all works well for you.

• Members

Anyone know anything about plumbing? Here's the thing:

I bought an old trailer a bit ago for my farm, and I have been working on getting it up and usable. I got down to the plumbing, and found piping I did not recognize. After some research, I found it is called 'Qest' pipe, or made by the Qest company. It's gray and flexible, and looks like good stuff, but I have nt been able to find any for a small repair, but I also understand there was some legal issue with it, and the company went under.

So, I really dont need any of it specifically, but I am curious as to if anyone knows what the issue was with it? It seems all in almost brand-new condition, despite the age, so I am curious if I need to replace it, which I really don't want to do, or if its safe to use.

Thanks, all!

Polly tubing, the problem is with the fittings. Compresstion fitting would brake or leak. The pipping is good replace all the fittings with new one. The kind that uses no special tools or glue.

• Moderators

Polly tubing, the problem is with the fittings. Compresstion fitting would brake or leak. The pipping is good replace all the fittings with new one. The kind that uses no special tools or glue.

The connections on this Qest tubing are screw-together, with no need of glue. They seem to hold quite well. My biggest issue with it right now, is that, when they were put together, there was a small side-tube put in to fill the water tank, rather than using the regular hose for the tank, and this leaves an open end on the system, with apparently no way to purchase a cap to close it, as the company went out of business due to their lawsuit. So I am left with an open end that has no purpose.

• Members

The connections on this Qest tubing are screw-together, with no need of glue. They seem to hold quite well. My biggest issue with it right now, is that, when they were put together, there was a small side-tube put in to fill the water tank, rather than using the regular hose for the tank, and this leaves an open end on the system, with apparently no way to purchase a cap to close it, as the company went out of business due to their lawsuit. So I am left with an open end that has no purpose.

That's what duct tape is for!   :nuts:

• Members

Try a shark bite cap or adding a  shut off valve at the end of the tubbing, then leaving it in close position. 

• Members

Our church manse was replumbed about  years ago with plastic tubing for hot and cold water, and we have had no problems with it.  

About 5 years ago, we fitted a shower in our house using plastic piping with push fit connectors No screw, no glue, just push. You have to make sure you put a metal reinforcer in the pipe before pushing it into the connector.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=Cat114Speedfit%20&cm_sp=HeatingPlumbing-_-PlasticPushfit-_-speedfit

Archived