Online Baptist
  • Welcome Guest

Tired of all the fighting that goes on in facebook groups? Are you ready for a community where you can talk about things of God and the Bible without getting branded a heretic? Well, we are glad you found us. Why don't you give us a try and see how friendly and different we are. - BroMatt

rstrats

Matthew 12:40

But maybe someone new looking in will know of examples to support their belief that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language. 

Edited by rstrats

With the new year upon us maybe a further wording of the OP will make it more clear:

1. The Messiah said that three nights would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

2. There are some who believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who believe that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. However, those two beliefs allow for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the discrepancy, some of the above say that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language of the time, i.e., that it is was common to forecast or say that a day or a night would be involved with an event when no part of the day or no part of the night could occur.

6. In order for someone to legitimately say that it was common they would have to know of more that 1 example to make that assertion.

I am simply wondering if anyone knows of examples to support the idea of commonality?
Edited by rstrats

We do a similar thing today at times.

We might say "I spent 5 days at Niagra Falls", but we arrived there some time monday and left sometime friday.

Everyone knows what we mean.

As to the specific application.... it is oft repeated, but in my experience never supported.....

7 hours ago, DaveW said:

DaveW,
re:  "We do a similar thing today at times. We might say 'I spent 5 days at Niagra Falls', but we arrived there some time monday and left sometime friday. Everyone knows what we mean. "

I don't see any similarity.  In your example I assume that everyone would understand that at least a portion of each one of 5 calendar days would be involved.  
But would anyone understand that no part of a 5th calendar day would be spent at the Falls?

Almost five years and folks are still focusing on what people believe and think and not what the bible teaches.  A thorough study of the scriptures teaches that Christ died on a Wednesday and was in the tomb 3 full days and nights and emerged on Sunday.  The door to the tomb shut at exactly 6pm on Wednesday, making that Thursday and opened on Saturday at 6pm making that Sunday.

8 hours ago, DaveW said:

swathdiver,

re:  "A thorough study of the scriptures teaches that Christ died on a Wednesday and was in the tomb 3 full days and nights and emerged on Sunday."  

That would be an issue for a different topic. 

Edited by rstrats

On 02/01/2018 at 8:27 PM, rstrats said:

I don't see any similarity.  In your example I assume that everyone would understand that at least a portion of each one of 5 calendar days would be involved.  
But would anyone understand that no part of a 5th calendar day would be spent at the Falls?

I mostly browse on phone which doesn't show post numbers, but I assume it is this post?

To be honest you reject out of hand anything that people post so I thought it not worth pursuing any further.

I didn't answer in this fashion reviously because I thought it would serve no purpose other than to offend you, but as you specifically requested an answer I now have.

5 hours ago, DaveW said:

To be honest you reject out of hand anything that people post

I wonder if you might point out where I rejected any examples which show that it was common to say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur?

Edited by rstrats

14 minutes ago, rstrats said:

DaveW,

You have a question directed to you in my last post. 

Which I will not answer....

.....because it will not serve any useful purpose.

Edited by DaveW

1 hour ago, DaveW said:

Which I will not answer....

.....because it will not serve any useful purpose.

OK, tell me why I should accept posts that deal with different issues from the issue of this topic?  

Apparently there are no longer any folks here who believe that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week.

But perhaps sometime in the future someone who does think the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week will look in on this topic. 

4 hours ago, rstrats said:

But perhaps sometime in the future someone who does think the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week will look in on this topic. 

In that case then, you will have one person who thinks this way. What will that accomplish for you?