• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are there any biblical grounds for divorce?

• Members

God makes a way for every situation to be handled, including divorce. My parents were divorced when I was young, but they were not saved either, but it turned out to be for our (my brothers and mine) good. I know that sounds strange, but the Bible says train up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it. My father had a wicked life, much of I being the oldest child had to witness, I also have three half brothers, all wicked and they had my father in the house all their lives. I love my father and respect him, but think his leaving was the best thing he could do for us.

• Members

I mean if your husband/wife commits adultery or what if your husband/wife converts to another religion?

Is it ok then for a divorce?

The Lord doesn't say, don't divorce. He said, God doesn't like divorce (divorce is a hardness of heart and an unwillingness to forgive). I've come to believe God doesn't want men to divorce because they are unable to serve Him in every capacity possible. You can't be a pastor, church building missionary, or a deacon if you divorce. I don't believe there are a lot of good Christian Bible institues, colleges, or universities which will accept a divorced person either...if any! There will be personal sorrow from not being able to serve God in every capacity.

• Members

Mt 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

It seems that the Bible gives only one reason for divorce, as stated above, yet even them that husband & wife ought to try as best they can to preserve their marriage.

• Members

Thinking about the failed marriages of my relatives, none of them were better off after having gotten a divorce. Neither were their children. They all suffered and continue to suffer because of that sin.

That seems to be the case for most divorces.

I know of one man that is on his 7, 8, or 9th wife, I lost count long ago. He seems to always say with his new marriage, "This is the one!"

• Members

I mean if your husband/wife commits adultery or what if your husband/wife converts to another religion?

Is it ok then for a divorce?

You should always do what you can to keep the marriage together. But things don't always work out the way you want them to. Christians get divorced and you'll will always be able to find a congregation that will still accept you. Also, this is why God invented a thing called forgiveness.

The most resistence you'll find from other IFB Christians will be against you getting married again after divorce. Most IFBers will consider you an adulterer. I suspect this is one of many reasons that Christians leave the IFB movement for more non-denominational churches. They won't be able to stand the lonliness of being single all their life and will want to get married therefore will leave for a more accepting church. Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

You should always do what you can to keep the marriage together. But things don't always work out the way you want them to. Christians get divorced and you'll will always be able to find a congregation that will still accept you. Also, this is why God invented a thing called forgiveness.

The most resistence you'll find from other IFB Christians will be against you getting married again after divorce. Most IFBers will consider you an adulterer. I suspect this is one of many reasons that Christians leave the IFB movement for more non-denominational churches. They won't be able to stand the lonliness of being single all their life and will want to get married therefore will leave for a more accepting church.

Actually, according to Scripture the Christian should never sue for divorce. The way laws are today ones spouse can sue for divorce and obtain one, but the Christian spouse should not themselves sue for divorce.

Your assertions against IFB, which is not a denomination, are very generalized and inaccurate. I've known several Southern Baptist, other Baptist, and various other churches who hold to strong teaching on this issue.

Now, a Christian, any Christian, can find their full comfort in Christ if it's the Lord's will they not marry or remarry. The idea a Christian has to be married to not feel lonely, or to fee complete, is false. If God commands one not to marry He will provide them the means they need to live such a life.

The Christians life is not to be about themselves but about giving up self, giving Christ lordship over every aspect of our lives, and living in a way that all we do is for His glory and honour, not for ourselves.

• Members

Actually, according to Scripture the Christian should never sue for divorce. The way laws are today ones spouse can sue for divorce and obtain one, but the Christian spouse should not themselves sue for divorce.

Your assertions against IFB, which is not a denomination, are very generalized and inaccurate. I've known several Southern Baptist, other Baptist, and various other churches who hold to strong teaching on this issue.

Now, a Christian, any Christian, can find their full comfort in Christ if it's the Lord's will they not marry or remarry. The idea a Christian has to be married to not feel lonely, or to fee complete, is false. If God commands one not to marry He will provide them the means they need to live such a life.

The Christians life is not to be about themselves but about giving up self, giving Christ lordship over every aspect of our lives, and living in a way that all we do is for His glory and honour, not for ourselves.

AMEN!!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My wife worked with a lady whose husband, one day. up and annonced that he was a homosexual. I think that was shortly before AIDS was discovered among them. Many women's husbands have brought home STDs and infected them. There are also families where the dad was molesting the children. No, divorce should not be an option for a Christian, But Jesus plainly said "except it be for fornication". I believe God provides protection in such circumstances and gave us something called common sense. But that is the ONLY grounds for divorce for a child of God.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

My wife worked with a lady whose husband, one day. up and annonced that he was a homosexual. I think that was shortly before AIDS was discovered among them. Many women's husbands have brought home STDs and infected them. There are also families where the dad was molesting the children. No, divorce should not be an option for a Christian, But Jesus plainly said "except it be for fornication". I believe God provides protection in such circumstances and gave us something called common sense. But that is the ONLY grounds for divorce for a child of God.

Isn't fornication said to be something that happens before marriage, not afterwards?

Even in an extreme case where a spouse needs some amount of separation from the other (it's not always the male, I read a report of the growing number of wives "experimenting" with lesbianism, not seeing it as really cheating on their husbands, and bringing STDs to their husbands) that separation doesn't have to involve divorce. A Christian should not sue for divorce.