• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who wriote the Book of hebrews?

• Members

From what I recall, early on it was fairly well accepted that Paul wrote Hebrews. Then there came questioning about that and since the human author isn't recorded in Hebrews it was latter decided to simply say we don't know. All the preachers I've heard actually give their view as to who the author is have said they believe it was Paul.

• Members

I believe it was the Apostle Paul who wrote Hebrews. In 2 Peter 3:15, the Apostle Peter has perhaps answered the question of the Pauline authorship of Hebrews.

2 Peter 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Peter's Significant Statement

At the close of his second Epistle the Apostle Peter wrote "and account that the long suffering of our Lord is salvation, even as our beloved brother Paul also, according to the wisdom given unto him, hath written unto you" (2 Peter 3:15). Now Peter wrote to those of the circumcision, to believing Hebrews in the dispersion. He does what our Lord commanded him "to strengthen his brethren." And in the above words he speaks of the fact that Paul also wrote unto them. We do not hesitate to give this as an argument of the Pauline authorship of Hebrews. No other Epistle of Paul answers to this statement of Peter. There is but one Epistle addressed to the Hebrews and Peter no doubt meant this Epistle, and he also knew that Paul was the writer. So that this in itself is quite conclusive. As another has said "Where do we find beside the apostle a man who could have written this Epistle? Who beside him would have ventured to write it with such decided apostolic authority? And who had greater reason to write anonymously to Israel than the apostle who loved his people so fervently, and who was so hated by them that they refused to listen to his voice and to read his writings?" (Mallet) Gaebelein's Annotated Bible: The Epistle to the Hebrews

Edited by LindaR

• Members

Who wrote the Book of Hebrews; please tell us why you think so.

(We know that the Lord wrote all of them, but who did He choose to pen the words?)

I believe Paul did. Paul in the last chapters of each epistle usually the last verse uses a variation of the phrase "grace be with/to you."
Hebrews ends with this same phrase, but that isn't the only reason. Paul tells us something in 2 Thessalonians 3:17.
17The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.

18The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Notice what he says about his salutation, which is the token in every epistle he wrote. That token or saluation is in verse 18 of 2 Thessalonians 3.
the phrase "grace be with you" is in this variation.

• Administrators

I believe it was the Apostle Paul, but his writing to the Hebrews was very different than the rest of the Pauline epistles. I have never concerned myself with who the earthly penman is, when we know that God is the author.

:thumb:

• Members

Do you have an idea what that good reason might be or are you just saying you believe there is a good reason?

One reason is because Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles and much of the doctrine in Hebrews "contradicts" what he wrote in his other letters. Though these "contradictions" really have to do with dispensational differences.

• Members

One reason is because Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles and much of the doctrine in Hebrews "contradicts" what he wrote in his other letters. Though these "contradictions" really have to do with dispensational differences.

So you see contradictions in Scripture & even in the inspired writings of the Apostle Paul. Can you list these differences for us?

• Members

My dad wrote an article in which he gave reasons as to why he believed that Paul wrote hebrews. I did type it all out once, if I can find it I will post it here.(It was rather long.)

• Members

Who wrote the Book of Hebrews; please tell us why you think so.

(We know that the Lord wrote all of them, but who did He choose to pen the words?)

I have heard various views as to who wrote Hebrews (Paul, Barnibas, ...). God chose not to reveal that information so I don't worry about it. As you state, God inspired it so that is all that matters.

• Members

There are no contradictions in the Word of God. Any "contradictions" are found in man's theology/opinions.