• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thou shalt not steal (a question)

Nathaniel

• Members

It seems what Jerry is saying is that for Christians the most important aspect of nation building is the individuals relationships with Christ and their OBedience to Him. Since this game doesn't address that, it teaches the secular aspects of doing what one can using their own strength and wisdom to achieve success.

A game/competition is, by definition, the pitting of one's skill (althetic, mental, social, strategic, etc.) against the skill of another--for fun as well as for the development of those skills. The skills being developed in this case (stewardship, planning, prudence, earning, buying, trading, reaping the harvest of wise planning, etc.) are all ones that are encouraged in the Bible.

I've not played this particular game, but I have played similar games in the past, and they leave God out.

If that's true, then the verses in the Bible which talk about stewardship, hard work, etc., also leave God out. So does any other game, since all games, as I said, are merely humans pitting skill against skill. Of course, those who are Christians understand the big picture: God is in control of everything, and His grace enables us to use the skills we learn even in games in our real lives. They also understand that board games, even those that reflect aspects of realistic scenarios, are not "real life."

Have you ever played Bible trivia or other biblical based games? With some of these one can have a fun time while being built up in the Word and some can gain a greater understanding of Scripture and a deeper desire to study the Word.

I personally don't like to mix "games" with "God's Word." God's Word is anything but trivial, and I'm hesitant to treat it lightly by making a game of it. Am I against all competitions involving Bible facts, etc.? No, I'm just cautious about overdoing it, especially with my kids. We're teaching them to treat the Bible with respect. We don't play Bible trivia games at home. Occasionally at church the kids might be involved in a "review game" in Sunday school or something, which is fine with us, but it's not something that characterizes our family life. Our kids memorize chapters of the Bible, catechism, etc., and love those things for their own sake, not because they are entertaining or motivational in a competitive way. Edited by Annie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

We played a variety of games with our son as he was growing up. In fact, we still play at times. Didn't make any of us covetous or desirous of things we ought not have.

And we have played a great number of Bible based games. PrOBlem is, just because the game says it's a Bible game doesn't make it so. If one doesn't have discernment (and actual Bible knowledge at the outset), there is a lot of misinformation in a number of those games. We still play them, but we have weeded out a bunch of cards and descriptions...catholic history isn't Bible! (but someone who isn't familiar with the Bible, but recently saved, who purchases one of these games thinking they will learn Bible from them can be easily deceived)

Capitalism (free enterprise) is actually Biblical, as is hard work. And the reward of hard work is often property, etc. In that light, something like Settlers is a good teaching tool (not to mention the camaraderie around the table as the game is played) Sure, we can have too much and be covetous. But owning property doesn't make one covetous. Neither does playing a game where property is won by either the draw of a card or by strategy. What makes a person covetous is not learning to be content (and even Paul had to learn it: "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.") . A board game does not foster discontent - unless the players are constantly bemoaning the fact that they don't have money like that, they don't have property, etc. etc. Parents do a great deal to teach contentment or covetousness. And most of that is certainly not around the game board!

Annie, kudos to your kiddos! OBviously, they are being taught to have a servant's compassionate heart.

• Members

It seems what Jerry is saying is that for Christians the most important aspect of nation building is the individuals relationships with Christ and their OBedience to Him. Since this game doesn't address that, it teaches the secular aspects of doing what one can using their own strength and wisdom to achieve success.

I've not played this particular game, but I have played similar games in the past, and they leave God out.

Have you ever played Bible trivia or other biblical based games? With some of these one can have a fun time while being built up in the Word and some can gain a greater understanding of Scripture and a deeper desire to study the Word.

Right on John, Isn't most every thing secular, and tends to take our mind off the one we ought to serve, the one we can count on, the one we can trust. Seems such a game that was brought up here,like many others, we have gotten so use to that we ignore the bad, maybe even evil influence it can have on us. And I still think such a game teaches covetous.

De 6:1 Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
De 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
De 11:19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

And I readily admit to my mistakes of having games in my house when my daughter was growing up that should not have been in my house. Everything in our lives has its influence on us, our children, and the majority of them take our mind off of God and put them on worldly stuff. And many fathers and mother wonder where they went wrong. How many of us are teaching our children about God like this? "...teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."

And I am not saying take all fun and games out of our lives, yet we need to be very careful what we chose to have fun with and be sure it will not have a negative influence on our commitment and our walk with God.

Of course if we do as Deuteronomy tells us to there will not be much time for worldly games.

• Members

Right on John, Isn't most every thing secular, and tends to take our mind off the one we ought to serve, the one we can count on, the one we can trust. Seems such a game that was brought up here,like many others, we have gotten so use to that we ignore the bad, maybe even evil influence it can have on us. And I still think such a game teaches covetous.

De 6:1 Now these are the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments, which the LORD your God commanded to teach you, that ye might do them in the land whither ye go to possess it:
De 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
De 11:19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

And I readily admit to my mistakes of having games in my house when my daughter was growing up that should not have been in my house. Everything in our lives has its influence on us, our children, and the majority of them take our mind off of God and put them on worldly stuff. And many fathers and mother wonder where they went wrong. How many of us are teaching our children about God like this? "...teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up."

And I am not saying take all fun and games out of our lives, yet we need to be very careful what we chose to have fun with and be sure it will not have a negative influence on our commitment and our walk with God.

Of course if we do as Deuteronomy tells us to there will not be much time for worldly games.

:amen: Very well said!

• Members

Anyone here ever played the game Settlers? It's really a lot of fun, except for this one annoying little part about a rOBber...

:th_laugh1::th_laugh1::th_laugh1::th_laugh1:

Never heard of the game. Although I used to be addicted to the games Civilization III & IV and Civ. Colonization. Edited by Wilchbla