• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your suggested reading order...

• Members

Whilst I'm happy to acknowledge verses like 2 Timothy 3:16, there's no denying the fact that Christians rarely hand out soul-winning tracts quoting Exodus 26:19 or 36:21. So, now that I'm moving on to Leviticus, I'm beginning to wonder if there's other parts of the Bible I ought to be reading sooner. If tomorrow you were to give a Bible to someone who had never read it before, what five books would you advise them to read first?

Whilst I'm happy to acknowledge verses like 2 Timothy 3:16' date=' there's no denying the fact that Christians rarely hand out soul-winning tracts quoting Exodus 26:19 or 36:21. So, now that I'm moving on to Leviticus, I'm beginning to wonder if there's other parts of the Bible I ought to be reading sooner. If tomorrow you were to give a Bible to someone who had never read it before, what five books would you advise them to read first?[/quote']

Hmm.. that's a good question! I think a good place to start for someone who isn't a Christian would be Romans. There's a lot of simple truth in that book, including a road map to salvation. If you have time, read through the whole New Testament. The first several books are long, but it won't take you a lot of time at all to study in the NT. After you get through the NT, you can go back and read the Old Testament and all of the stories and prophecies back there.

One thing to remember is that if you just read Old Testament books, you won't have much of a clue about Jesus Christ and the Gospel and everything that applies to us today. The Old Testament paints a beautiful picture when combined with the New Testament, and you get to know God by reading it, but it won't show anyone how to get saved. (because the Gospel is that Jesus Christ died on the cross, was buried, and rose again)

I agree' date=' I would start with the New Testament. Romans is good, but I suggest reading one of the gospels first. I think that John is a good place to start. :smile[/quote']

Well that's true, but he should probably read all 4 gospels and Romans together (that's 5 anyway... like he asked for), and that would help him understand Christ and then see how to accept Him.

If tomorrow you were to give a Bible to someone who had never read it before, what five books would you advise them to read first?

Psalms, Isaiah, Luke, Romans, Revelation.

• Members

There are many salvation passages in the OT - in fact, that was all the NT church had until the NT was written! Yes, there is much that is not clear in the OT without the light of the NT to shine on it though.

Genesis, Exodus, Matthew, John, Romans

This is probably one that I would agree with most (out of those posted so far). Genesis and Exodus are good for foundation to much that happened later, including creation, the fall, flood, the establishment of the Jewish nation, the Exodus from Egypt.

John and Romans are great for clearly presenting the Gospel, as well as giving some solid doctrinal teaching.

And for varied reading, Psalms.

Whilst I'm happy to acknowledge verses like 2 Timothy 3:16' date=' there's no denying the fact that Christians rarely hand out soul-winning tracts quoting Exodus 26:19 or 36:21. So, now that I'm moving on to Leviticus, I'm beginning to wonder if there's other parts of the Bible I ought to be reading sooner. If tomorrow you were to give a Bible to someone who had never read it before, what five books would you advise them to read first?[/quote']

-Genesis

-Then the Gospel in the order it was written.