• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can An Apostate Get Saved Later?

Jerry

• Members

I am not really interested in a debate on this, more like asking personal experience. In our day and age of apostasy, do YOU personally know ANYONE who professed salvation, turned from it completely at one point (becoming apostate - ie. denying the Bible, salvation, God, etc.*), then later repenting of it and truly turning back and receiving the truth they once rejected?

*I would also apply this to some people I know who once claimed to know the Gospel, perhaps grew up in an evangelical Christian home, then later embraced another religion/cult or gospel.

I am asking this because there are particular people I know, including a relative, that would definitely be apostate (as defined above). Is there hope for them - or do they fit those in Romans 1 and 2 Thessalonians 2, that God utterly gave them over to their sins and to delusions/lies?

Part of me says, sure there must be hope - but the Bible doesn't seem to offer any hope for those who ONCE KNEW THE TRUTH and turned from it, and I truly cannot recall ever reading or hearing of ANYONE who was apostate ever becoming saved and embracing the truth as it is in Jesus again. I have heard of people who I would consider apostate that might still call themselves saved/Christian. etc. but not someone whose testimony and beliefs later line up with the whole Word of God once they utterly rejected it at an earlier point (and to clarify, again this is referring to someone who professed to be saved by trusting in Christ alone for salvation and seemed to have a testimony that agreed with the truth, who turned from it and made it clear to others that they turned from it, then later repented and received the truth again - overturning all their false beliefs and practices).

• Members
22 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I am not really interested in a debate on this, more like asking personal experience. In our day and age of apostasy, do YOU personally know ANYONE who professed salvation, turned from it completely at one point (becoming apostate - ie. denying the Bible, salvation, God, etc.*), then later repenting of it and truly turning back and receiving the truth they once rejected?

*I would also apply this to some people I know who once claimed to know the Gospel, perhaps grew up in an evangelical Christian home, then later embraced another religion/cult or gospel.

I am asking this because there are particular people I know, including a relative, that would definitely be apostate (as defined above). Is there hope for them - or do they fit those in Romans 1 and 2 Thessalonians 2, that God utterly gave them over to their sins and to delusions/lies?

Part of me says, sure there must be hope - but the Bible doesn't seem to offer any hope for those who ONCE KNEW THE TRUTH and turned from it, and I truly cannot recall ever reading or hearing of ANYONE who was apostate ever becoming saved and embracing the truth as it is in Jesus again. I have heard of people who I would consider apostate that might still call themselves saved/Christian. etc. but not someone whose testimony and beliefs later line up with the whole Word of God once they utterly rejected it at an earlier point (and to clarify, again this is referring to someone who professed to be saved by trusting in Christ alone for salvation and seemed to have a testimony that agreed with the truth, who turned from it and made it clear to others that they turned from it, then later repented and received the truth again - overturning all their false beliefs and practices).

This is a very good question, I believe the true answer to your question is the test of time, and time only. Time Will reveal the true answer of a person faith. I believe a Christian believer that turns to the world, and never repent and come back to Christ, die, this person was never truly Saved. I can fall in love with the preachers daughter, come to Christ for salvation, (in Love) and later change my ways, go back to the world. The waiting time could be a lifetime, that you or I never may see, but others might see.

• Members

If you have trusted the gospel of the grace of God in Jesus Christ our Lord it doesn't matter how "apostate" you may become you are sealed unto the day of redemption. You might end up with nothing at the judgement seat other than your salvation.

Personally, I know of many backsliders but not many who have completely rejected the bible. I have talked with some who claimed to have become atheist or agnostic but you can still sense they believe the bible they are just angry and backslidden for whatever reason.

• Members

A true believer will never reject the truth. They might get backslidden and stop living the truth - but God says a true believer will always believe. Believeth - ongoing, present tense. Believeth not - an ongoing choice to not believe, to willfully and stubbornly reject the truth, ongoing and not just a temporary doubt or struggle. However, a profession of faith is not salvation - and many professors of faith turn from the faith. It is not a case of a true believer getting lost, it is the case of a lost person proving to the world (and Christians) they are still lost.

John 3:16-18 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 10:9-10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1 John 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

• Members

A true believer will never reject the truth. They might get backslidden and stop living the truth - but God says a true believer will always believe. Believeth - ongoing, present tense. Believeth not - an ongoing choice to not believe, to willfully and stubbornly reject the truth, ongoing and not just a temporary doubt or struggle. However, a profession of faith is not salvation - and many professors of faith turn from the faith. It is not a case of a true believer getting lost, it is the case of a lost person proving to the world (and Christians) they are still lost.

John 3:16-18 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Romans 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 10:9-10 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1 John 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

And just to clarify, being backslidden is not being apostate. Let's try to be Biblical in our terminology here. Backsliding is someone who is truly saved falling into sin - go far enough into sin and God will chastise His own children. Apostasy is a professor of salvation (not a possessor) turning from it - whether in their life or teachings, That is what passages like 1 John 2:19 refer to - those who once PRETENDED to be saved now casting off what they once PROFESSED. This is God saying it, not me:

1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Hebrews 10:26-31 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Hebrews 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Hebrews 12:25-29 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain. Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire.

It is mostly these passages people get the doctrine (if you want to call it that) of apostasy from.

• Members

Jerry...blanket statements concerning anothers salvation, whether they've left the church, God, and the Bible or not isn't your call. You don't know their heart..only GOD does. This is one problem the IFB churches have...they try to set themselves up as the Holy Spirit and are far too judgemental. It's one reason people leave not only the church, but the Bible and look for other things. I know when my wife and I left church after being constantly lied about, harranged and harassed by a pastor who didn't like the fact that he was wrong and the Bible was right, led us to leave for nearly 15 years. We rejected EVERYTHING that had to do with church, God and the Bible for many of those years. I never once questioned my salvation, but I surely did question the salvation of those who were doing the persecution of people who didn't agree with them. Once a person is saved, regardless of whether they leave the church or not, they are saved, sealed by the Holy Spirit. They can be disciplined by God, but they don't lose their salvation, and NOWHERE does God imply that they do. 

I know one of the bus drivers I had when I was involved in the bus ministry had been involved with the church for over 35 years, was a soulwinner, and was very much a Christian. His son was killed on his first day on the job in our small town of Pekin...His son was a member of the church, though he hadn't been there for a couple of years because of work, problems in his life, etc., so he asked our pastor to do the funeral. The pasto had done this for many families who had experienced similar events...but he refused this man's request. This friend of mine and his wife left the church in disgust, angry, confused, etc., and the pastor never really gave them a reason why he wouldn't do the funeral. My friend got another area pastor to do the funeral, and he's not stepped foot back inside of a church since, and that's been over 30 years ago. He's still saved, and he's never questioned his salvation....he still lives a better Christian life than most church going Christians I know today. The IFB seem to take pleasure in "killing their own." Then they like to judge. UGH!

• Members

I have never said ANYONE CAN LOSE THEIR SALVATION. I do not believe so - however, just because someone got religious at one time or another, called themselves a Christian, doesn't make them saved. A PROFESSOR - someone who is just calling themselves a Christian - a tare among the wheat or even an apostate - can later turn from the truth. That is Bible, even if you will not accept it. I have quoted passages to show what God says about professing Christendom, false teachers, apostates, and the religious lost - just because you will not accept the Bible itself does not make me wrong. In fact, the problem is with the person who will not accept the whole Word of God, not the person who strives to figure it ALL out and see how it ALL fits. You want a profession of Christianity that is only based on part of the Word of God, not all of it.

The Bible WARNS US tells us there will be apostates, false teachers, tares among the wheat, true brethren who are living in sin that we need to separate from, etc. AND HOW TO IDENTIFY THEM - BUT YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT THOSE PASSAGES. That's on you, not me. YOUR PROBLEM IS WITH WHAT GOD HIMSELF SAID IN HIS WORD, not with me attempting to believe and apply those passages, so go ahead and direct your anger at me - but I didn't create those warnings nor tell MY children to believe and apply them for the safety and purity of MY church - God Himself did. Your problem is with Him and His Word.

P.S. if you truly hate IFBs that much, why come to an KJVonly IFB website and seek to undermine it and slander those that actually stand where this site says they stand?

• Members
45 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Jerry...blanket statements concerning anothers salvation, whether they've left the church, God, and the Bible or not isn't your call. You don't know their heart..only GOD does. This is one problem the IFB churches have...they try to set themselves up as the Holy Spirit and are far too judgemental. It's one reason people leave not only the church, but the Bible and look for other things. I know when my wife and I left church after being constantly lied about, harranged and harassed by a pastor who didn't like the fact that he was wrong and the Bible was right, led us to leave for nearly 15 years. We rejected EVERYTHING that had to do with church, God and the Bible for many of those years. I never once questioned my salvation, but I surely did question the salvation of those who were doing the persecution of people who didn't agree with them. Once a person is saved, regardless of whether they leave the church or not, they are saved, sealed by the Holy Spirit. They can be disciplined by God, but they don't lose their salvation, and NOWHERE does God imply that they do. 

I know one of the bus drivers I had when I was involved in the bus ministry had been involved with the church for over 35 years, was a soulwinner, and was very much a Christian. His son was killed on his first day on the job in our small town of Pekin...His son was a member of the church, though he hadn't been there for a couple of years because of work, problems in his life, etc., so he asked our pastor to do the funeral. The pasto had done this for many families who had experienced similar events...but he refused this man's request. This friend of mine and his wife left the church in disgust, angry, confused, etc., and the pastor never really gave them a reason why he wouldn't do the funeral. My friend got another area pastor to do the funeral, and he's not stepped foot back inside of a church since, and that's been over 30 years ago. He's still saved, and he's never questioned his salvation....he still lives a better Christian life than most church going Christians I know today. The IFB seem to take pleasure in "killing their own." Then they like to judge. UGH!

Once Saved always Saved, even if we serve the devil part time.  Confused Question Mark GIF by Preity G  Zinta

• Members
1 minute ago, Jerry said:

I have never said ANYONE CAN LOSE THEIR SALVATION. I do not believe so - however, just because someone got religious at one time or another, called themselves a Christian, doesn't make them saved. A PROFESSOR - someone who is just calling themselves a Christian - a tare among the wheat or even an apostate - can later turn from the truth. That is Bible, even if you will not accept it. I have quoted passages to show what God says about professing Christendom, false teachers, apostates, and the religious lost - just because you will not accept the Bible itself does not make me wrong. In fact, the problem is with the person who will not accept the whole Word of God, not the person who strives to figure it ALL out and see how it ALL fits. You want a profession of Christianity that is only based on part of the Word of God, not all of it.

The Bible WARNS US tells us there will be apostates, false teachers, tares among the wheat, true brethren who are living in sin that we need to separate from, etc. AND HOW TO IDENTIFY THEM - BUT YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT THOSE PASSAGES. That's on you, not me. YOUR PROBLEM IS WITH WHAT GOD HIMSELF SAID IN HIS WORD, not with me attempting to believe and apply those passages, so go ahead and direct your anger at me - but I didn't create those warnings nor tell MY children to believe and apply them for the safety and purity of MY church - God Himself did. Your problem is with Him and His Word.

I have in NO WAY refused to accept the passages you listed...You, sir, lie consistantly with your implications, and I'm calling you on it. Two false accusations in one paragraph. Seems like that's all you like to do. Also, in the next paragreph, I have NO PROBLEM with what God said. Prove I do, or retract your statement.

2 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Once Saved always Saved, even if we serve the devil part time.  Confused Question Mark GIF by Preity G  Zinta

Either God saves or he doesn't. You'll have to decide for yourself. It's your right to question, as it is everyones. 

• Moderators

Although personal opinions were requested, more than one person here needs to take a breath and focus on the topic rather than their personal feelings. I’m not going to lock this topic quite yet, but it will be if Christians cannot begin speaking to each other peaceably. 

• 2 weeks later...