• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

And Ye Shall Be Unto Me A Kingdom Of Priests, And An Holy Nation.

• Members

Exodus 19:5-6

Now therefore, if ye will OBey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant,

then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.
These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

• Members

I love the example the Lord used about making us have a relationship with him just like a 'priest' did.

And the only way he could do that was to become the real covenant himself in a physical body and

sacrifice himself for the sins of all mankind.

All because God used the children of Israel as a 'tool fit for his use', to eventually give gentiles the gift of the scriptures, and salvation of course.

They did OBey his voice, and keep the covenant, and as proof, everything is as it is now because they succeeded.

And as a result everyone got to do their part in bringing to pass the end result of it all, salvation offered to all mankind.

Which brings to pass also the blessing that Israel was to the history of mankind, that they were used by God himself, and

not only do we get to be 'as' priests in a personal relationship with God, they also are seen for what they are, an 'holy nation'.

All because of OBedience, and letting God have his work in them and through them!

God accomplishes a lot when we do things his way.

• Members

Peter & John applied the same Scriptures to their readers:

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: 10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not OBtained mercy , but now have OBtained mercy.

Rev. 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, 6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

But without the "if."

• Members

"Priest" or "Priests" is not even used in Pauline Epistles.

I'm a member of the Body of Christ and "heaven bound".

I don't consider myself a Hebrew or a "replacement" for a Jew.

So, I don't apply the promises made by God to "His people" to be applicable to me.

• Members

"Priest" or "Priests" is not even used in Pauline Epistles.

I'm a member of the Body of Christ and "heaven bound".

I don't consider myself a Hebrew or a "replacement" for a Jew.

So, I don't apply the promises made by God to "His people" to be applicable to me.

You often come across sounding like those Paul denounced for saying "I am of Paul".

• Members

So, are you saying that you will be a priest in Christ's Kingdom (centered in Jerusalem)?

Moses, Peter & John were dealing with real, living people to whom they were ministering.

The promise in Ex. 19 was conditional on OBedience. Peter & John are writing to believers, of a present experience.

So, yes & no. Believers have a priesthood in Jesus' present kingdom, not to offer sacrifices, but to witness to Jesus' sacrifice, & intercede for others.

Notice that Peter is writing to believers who in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: OBviously if Peter were writing to Jews, he would not have written like that. He's writing includes Gentile converts - not God-fearing Jews: 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; 2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. 3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

• Administrators

Paul is not the only one God used to pen scripture.  And God did not include the epistles of Peter simply for the Jews.  I'm getting kind of tired of people who try to intimate that there is scripture that doesn't apply to Christians.  God very clearly says "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of GOD, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

Please note that God used Paul to write those words. Paul was the apostle to the Gentiles, but the words God had him pen are for any - Jew or Gentile - who gets saved. Just as the words God had Peter pen are for any - Jew or Gentile - who gets saved. ALL scripture. Not just Pauline epistles.  Shame on those who would limit the efficacy and reach of God's Word.

• Members
Now I say that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God,
to confirm the promises made unto the fathers:  Romans 15:8

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me [Paul],
as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;  Galatians 2:7

I get so tired of people that are unable to "rightly divide" the scriptures. 
There is a "program" for the Body of Christ, and there is a "program" for Israel (yet future).

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth
not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.  2 Tim 2:15

• Administrators

You cannot rightly divide when you parse and pick what you want to apply to your life.  ALL scripture means all of it. Not just the ones you want. Don't like it? Cut Peter, James, Hebrews out of your Bible.  

The gospel is the gospel. Only one way of salvation. Jesus.  Twist scripture to say otherwise and call it rightly dividing - it's still twisting.

• Moderators

OKay, to remain consistent, I am locking this title, as it is promoting the idea of chopping up the New testament scripture in an unbiblical manner.

Peter said that both Jews and Gentiles were saved the same way-the same gospel, and all believers, be they initially Jewish or Gentiles-the same gospel saves them all, and they are all gooing to be considered one and the same in the eyes of God-neither Jew nor Gentile, male nor female, in Christ. Yes, in this world, there tend to be differences, but in Christ, in Spirit, in eternity, there is NO difference-all children of God.

So I am going to be the bad guy and close it off now, because it is going to gender toward strife between brethren. 

Archived