• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Adult Sunday School

John81

• Members

My last church we had sunday school before morning service -kids and adults in separate classes.
The church I was saved and grew spiritually in had that as well.

When I started here I tried to add it, but it was my family and two or three others. At the time it seemed too much effort for my limited time and little result, so I stopped it. My wife and kids were mostly involved in junior SS so.....

• Members

My first priority would be to find someone who knows how to teach.

To be honest; in our adult SS class I usually use the time to study topics that will help me. We have two teachers who rotate from Sunday to Sunday and their teaching method is to go thru a book of the Bible.

• Members

My first priority would be to find someone who knows how to teach.

To be honest; in our adult SS class I usually use the time to study topics that will help me. We have two teachers who rotate from Sunday to Sunday and their teaching method is to go thru a book of the Bible.

Yes, I agree and the adult students must see their need of learning as well.

• Members

We already have two good adult Sunday school classes but we are trying to figure out good ways of attracting more. We would especially like to attract more adults with children so we could have the whole family involved; the parents in the adult SS and the children in the children's SS.

Simply mentioning the SS classes from the pulpit and putting notices in the bulletins don't seem to work.

• Members

In addition to finding a good teacher (i.e. someone who is spiritually gifted to teach), I think a concerted effort should be made to get the SS class to interact outside of the typical Sunday meeting. Social gatherings (preferably one that includes devotional time) can do a lot to build rapport and interaction within the class. The difference between a class that has regular Christian fellowship and one who only sees each other once a week (assuming everyone makes it every Sunday) is astounding. It also provides a low-threat way to get new people socially integrated with fellow believers. As a new person coming into a church, or someone who is rather introverted, it can be daunting to try to fit in and make good friends.  The social aspect of the body of Christ shouldn't be overlooked.

• Members

This summer we're going to have a flip-flop day. We announce it as such and let people show up in flip flops if it happens. But the real meaning is to switch Sunday School and Church hour because we always run more during church. Try to let the people see what they're missing. It's never been done so try it at your own risk. Just make sure your teachers are teaching the greatness of God and how wonderful He is. Don't let it be another time to get "preached at". Church is more often than not a time pastors use to tell his congregation what they are doing wrong or need to be doing better. Use Sunday School to build up and edify the magesty of God. Show them how Great a God we serve.

Frank Hamerick (the man that created proteens) has a mind set that turned my world upside down. You can get stuff off his website for free someitmes. Here's the website.

https://positiveaction.org/product-category-free-items

Good Luck and please let me know if you do find something Biblically that really works.

• Members

This summer we're going to have a flip-flop day. We announce it as such and let people show up in flip flops if it happens. But the real meaning is to switch Sunday School and Church hour because we always run more during church. Try to let the people see what they're missing. It's never been done so try it at your own risk. Just make sure your teachers are teaching the greatness of God and how wonderful He is. Don't let it be another time to get "preached at". Church is more often than not a time pastors use to tell his congregation what they are doing wrong or need to be doing better. Use Sunday School to build up and edify the magesty of God. Show them how Great a God we serve.

Frank Hamerick (the man that created proteens) has a mind set that turned my world upside down. You can get stuff off his website for free someitmes. Here's the website.

https://positiveaction.org/product-category-free-items

Good Luck and please let me know if you do find something Biblically that really works.

Sorry to forget the details. It's title is Biblical theology of Youth Ministry. It's geared towards teens but the presentation methods work teaching anyone. Plus it's free.

• Members

I went to an IFB church 5 years ago that had what they called a "Graded Sunday School."  What that meant was that they took attendance.  Also, members would meet for social gatherings outside of the church.  These two things worked quite well in keeping numbers up.

My current IFB church doesn't have anything in place.

• Members

I don't think people should be pressured to teach a Sunday School class for children if they've repeatedly already said no. That's the position I'm in right now.

That is called filling a teaching spot .  Anyone who (for whatever reason) says No.... repeatedly should not feel "forced."  

Sorry for your circumstance and hope you find another area to serve where God is leading you.

• Members

As far as I know most English churches don't have an adult Sunday School.  Many don't have a children's one either as they cannot get children to come. 

The nearest I have seen is an Evangelical Church in London that had a Prayer Meeting an hour or so before the morning service and one of the Elders did a bible study.  Mostly it was the more committed members of the church who attended.

A Baptist church with and American pastor, we have been to in France has an adult SS before the morning service. 

• Members

As far as I know most English churches don't have an adult Sunday School.  Many don't have a children's one either as they cannot get children to come. 

The nearest I have seen is an Evangelical Church in London that had a Prayer Meeting an hour or so before the morning service and one of the Elders did a bible study.  Mostly it was the more committed members of the church who attended.

A Baptist church with and American pastor, we have been to in France has an adult SS before the morning service. 

That is interesting, Invicta.  Children's Sunday School started in England.  I would think that there would be an adult Sunday School.

Archived