• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Burial Or Cremation For Christians...

The Glory Land

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I think God frowns on cremation.

But the question is, what of families like mine that cannot afford the costly price of burial?

I concur. I don't think it's a sin, per se, but it certainly does not provide the best picture of our hope of a bodily resurrection.

Sometimes you can find cheaper places than others for burials, and cemeteries with fewer costly requirements. I'm thinking of purchasing a plot in an old country cemetery, where the cost is only $200 plus a turn at upkeep.  Much better than $2600-$4000 in the city for 'perpetual care'!  Country ground opening costs are cheaper too (provided you're not too far out of town), and you might get away without a grave liner too.  Look around and see what's available.

• Members

In the Bible, God's people were always buried.

One person, Doeg sinned when he had the king of Edom's bones burned to lime.

I think God frowns on cremation.

But the question is, what of families like mine that cannot afford the costly price of burial?

I agree,

But cremation is not cheap, just not as expensive as burial.

• Members

Have you looked at the cost of caskets???!!!

I can barely afford to buy glad bags, much less $7,000 for a casket. I like the song, send me to glory in a glad bag. Would haveto live in the wilderness though for that to happen.

I just checked prices of caskets at bestpricecaskets.com and, although they sell them at up to 80% ($4,000 coffins for under $1,000 with free shipping) cheaper than the funeral homes do, the glad bag is still the best option for me. LOL

• Members

Depending upon the laws of the State, funerals don't have to be extremely expensive. Most still provide pauper funerals too.

I told my wife if I go first she should take my little insurance money, buy a new refrigerator and stick me in the box!

• Members

Depending upon the laws of the State, funerals don't have to be extremely expensive. Most still provide pauper funerals too.

I told my wife if I go first she should take my little insurance money, buy a new refrigerator and stick me in the box!

Cryogenics?

• Members

Lots of pagans bury as well.

This is true...and lots of Christians cremate.  I'm simply speaking of the practice of cremation, not whether the person doing such is pagan or Christian (born again). 

Here's an interesting article by David Cloud, which is also available in a free e-book on the Way of Life website:

Cremation, What Does God Think?

Both of my parents were cremated (their wishes).  This kind of surprised me, since cremation is not common in Judaism.  However, I suppose things have changed over the years, like the rising cost of burying your loved ones.

Interesting how this OT practice of burying, among God's people, is carried into Christianity. It is carried over and practiced without any clear direction by the Bible? 

Archived