• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Should A Christian Leave A Church Membership

The Glory Land

• Moderators

Membership is important for the discipline and discipline of the flock, and for ensuring unity in doctrine and decisions. If someone has never joined a church, what authority has that church to discipline them? And if business meetings are held simply by a group of regular attendees, who have never had to agree with a particular statement of faith (as is the case with a church I used to attend), how can there be unity in faith and decisions needing to be made?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You don't have too, but churches are run like businesses today. If you want too vote, you must become a member and in some churches if you want to partake in the Lords super.

Speak for yourself there TGL.  Mine is an Independent, Fundamental, Baptist, Soul-Winning, New Testament Church.  Are you saying no membership rolls are ok?

• Members

I was a member of the same church I was saved in for over 26 years and in that period of time I couldn't count the number of people who came and went. I know of only one "clique", consisting of three families, who ever tried to control things and I know it because it was sorely obvious. One of those families left, one still attends, and the third one died. The vast majority of people who left, as far as I know, never tried to "take over" the church in any fashion and I don't know why they all left because I wasn't a busybody keeping my nose in other people's business. When I finally did come down to leaving,  I confronted the pastor, in private, about a personal contention and that didn't help so I chose two witnesses at random who I knew would not "side" with me and I questioned him again.:Low and behold, the meeting revealed that he had been talking about me behind my back.  I then left without saying another word to the rest of the members. Not long after, three more families left the church.

A former member, who I knew was a tale bearer, later came to my office one day, trying to harvest information about why I left. I kept my mouth shut. Another man, a visitor "preacher" who came a few times to my present church, called me aside one night to tell me that he had visited my former church  and saying that it was "too legalistic'. How he had even learned what church I left is a mystery to me. but I answered him not a word, not a smile, not even a nod of agreement. That's what people need to do when someone leaves a church; members, former members, preachers and pastors.

• Members

Well, do you know the verse and the principals involved?  The scriptures have plenty to say on church membership.

If he knew of no requirements; then apparently he would have no verse(s).  Give me "the scriptures" and I'll give them to him the next time I see him.

• Members

Membership is important for the discipline and discipline of the flock, and for ensuring unity in doctrine and decisions. If someone has never joined a church, what authority has that church to discipline them? And if business meetings are held simply by a group of regular attendees, who have never had to agree with a particular statement of faith (as is the case with a church I used to attend), how can there be unity in faith and decisions needing to be made?

Perhaps many avoid church membership in order to avoid discipline!

• Members

I was a member of the same church I was saved in for over 26 years and in that period of time I couldn't count the number of people who came and went. I know of only one "clique", consisting of three families, who ever tried to control things and I know it because it was sorely obvious. One of those families left, one still attends, and the third one died. The vast majority of people who left, as far as I know, never tried to "take over" the church in any fashion and I don't know why they all left because I wasn't a busybody keeping my nose in other people's business. When I finally did come down to leaving,  I confronted the pastor, in private, about a personal contention and that didn't help so I chose two witnesses at random who I knew would not "side" with me and I questioned him again.:Low and behold, the meeting revealed that he had been talking about me behind my back.  I then left without saying another word to the rest of the members. Not long after, three more families left the church.

A former member, who I knew was a tale bearer, later came to my office one day, trying to harvest information about why I left. I kept my mouth shut. Another man, a visitor "preacher" who came a few times to my present church, called me aside one night to tell me that he had visited my former church  and saying that it was "too legalistic'. How he had even learned what church I left is a mystery to me. but I answered him not a word, not a smile, not even a nod of agreement. That's what people need to do when someone leaves a church; members, former members, preachers and pastors.

I've told my wife many times the person that talks to you about someone else will talk to someone else about you & probably if you've said anything about that person, they will tell them not exactly what you said, but will modify somewhat.

And it seems if its not gossip, tale-bearing tales, some people have nothing to talk about.

• Members

If he knew of no requirements; then apparently he would have no verse(s).  Give me "the scriptures" and I'll give them to him the next time I see him.

My question was to you, not your preacher.  Most of the principles are found here in the article, Closed Communion.  

http://www.baptistchallenge.org/challenge/01augtbc.pdf

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls." - Acts 2:41

"Added" to what?  What does "added" mean?

• Members

My question was to you, not your preacher.  Most of the principles are found here in the article, Closed Communion.  

http://www.baptistchallenge.org/challenge/01augtbc.pdf

"Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls." - Acts 2:41

"Added" to what?  What does "added" mean?

Closed communion isn't taught in Scripture and only a portion of Baptists have ever held to that, certainly not all Baptists and certainly not all "true Baptists". Scripture indicates that communion is for all born again believers in Christ and it's up to each individual to examine themselves as to whether or not they should partake or refrain from partaking of the Lord's Supper. Nowhere in Scripture is a local church, pastor or anyone else tasked with this examination.

If a local church determines they will only offer closed communion, that's between them and the Lord, and not something they should say others should do or make denouncements of those who don't practice such. This most especially applies within IFB.

Those saved souls were added to the body of Christ, not a particular local church. At that point, so far as we know from Scripture, there was only one local gathering of believers that was just being formed. Even if one wants to stretch the point to say they were added to that local church, they were added by virtue of being born again, not by taking a membership class and signing a form.

One thing we do see in Scripture, and something most Baptists used to practice but isn't common anymore, is that as soon as one declared their faith in Christ they were immediately baptized.

With all that said, I do believe a born again believer should be a faithful member of a local church if at all possible. I also believe all believers should examine themselves in accord with Scripture before deciding to partake or abstain from the Lord's Supper; and in the same line, I believe that God Himself monitors our decision Himself, as Scripture indicates.

• Members

It's a local church ordinance for the members of that local church.  I would not go into your church and partake in your observance of the Lord's Supper.  Also remember 1 Corinthians 5, Brother John.

• Members

It's a local church ordinance for the members of that local church.  I would not go into your church and partake in your observance of the Lord's Supper.  Also remember 1 Corinthians 5, Brother John.

If a particular church chooses to have closed communion, that's between them and the Lord, and not those outside that churches business. In the same way, those particular churches which don't have closed communion is also between them and the Lord, and not the business of those outside that church.

Personally, I won't attend a closed communion church when they are having communion. I don't find it proper to deny brothers/sisters in Christ who are in right standing with the Lord the opportunity to partake of the Lord's Supper with their fellows. Placing someone else between Christ and the saints in this regard is removing Christ from being the One Mediator between God and man.

Even so, I believe in the "independent" aspect of the local church, and I'm not going to tell any local church I'm not a member of how they should or shouldn't conduct any aspect of their internal doings.

• Members

You mean to say you use God as a tax deduction?

Yes it's permitted with the Law , what I give to the church or do you want me give it to the Government instead. I do give and not only to the church. If I don't, the government will think that I am keeping it all. Now you don't me to give all my money to Obama now right. :)

• Members

If a particular church chooses to have closed communion, that's between them and the Lord, and not those outside that churches business. In the same way, those particular churches which don't have closed communion is also between them and the Lord, and not the business of those outside that church.

Personally, I won't attend a closed communion church when they are having communion. I don't find it proper to deny brothers/sisters in Christ who are in right standing with the Lord the opportunity to partake of the Lord's Supper with their fellows. Placing someone else between Christ and the saints in this regard is removing Christ from being the One Mediator between God and man.

Even so, I believe in the "independent" aspect of the local church, and I'm not going to tell any local church I'm not a member of how they should or shouldn't conduct any aspect of their internal doings.

What do you think of churches that don't practice communion at all?

Archived