• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Divorce - Remarriage & Evangelists - Missionaries

• Members

No, I'm not adding.

As for my self, I know not of a Baptist Church throughout this area that will put a man in such a position that has been divorced and remarried. I know that this position is not popular today, yet, God's way is not popular. By the way, the local church is the authority, their decisions will stand, that is as long as they do not go against God's Word, the Bible.

Many times that a local church sends out a missionary, the ordain him a pastor, them give him the authority to go to the place that God has called them to go, Once there they start their missionary work of trying to get enough people saved, together, to start a church. They might start a church with 4,maybe 10, or more members. Once the church is started they fall into the roll of pastor, which a divorce and remarried man cannot hold.

Now if a divorce man wants to go to a foreign place, the other side of the state, in another state, or even another country, where a missionary is, and or maiisonary is working, has started a church, he can do so, yet not in a leadership position.

• Members

The replies so far, are based on the requirements for a pastor (bishop) and a deacon, in the local church. They are not the requirements of Christ for all believers in the great commission. Matthew and Acts provide the definition and the requirements. Justification for rejecting a divorced/remarried evangelist/missionary has been presented from personal preference and conjecture not from God's word.

There doesn't have to be agreement here to determine the qualifications of an evangelist or missionary, that is settled already elsewhere (Psalms 119:89). Add to Matthew 28:19-20 and Acts 1:8, Acts chapters 6&8 and Colossians 1:21-29, particularly vss. 25-29. Christ tells us who must go and why we are to go, Philip and Paul provide us examples of obeying Christ.

By what you put forth here, you are correct. However, if matter of fact as to how things are today, there are those who are called missionaries and evangelists who also fulfill the role of a pastor. Perhaps we would be better off narrowing our use of these terms or clarifying that when one steps beyond biblical missionary work into the role of a pastor, they are no longer simply a missionary.

By what you put forth here, you are correct. However, if matter of fact as to how things are today, there are those who are called missionaries and evangelists who also fulfill the role of a pastor. Perhaps we would be better off narrowing our use of these terms or clarifying that when one steps beyond biblical missionary work into the role of a pastor, they are no longer simply a missionary.

John, I only quoted scripture with a little exegesis. By the grace of God he showed me some things I had never seen before. Somethings that were not necessarily agreeable to my Baptist diet but, had to accept none the less. I do believe if a divorced/remarried man found himself in a position approaching pastorship...he would have to excuse himself from that. But, I'm only speaking of evangelizing and missions like Paul and Philip's example.

• Members

John, I only quoted scripture with a little exegesis. By the grace of God he showed me some things I had never seen before. Somethings that were not necessarily agreeable to my Baptist diet but, had to accept none the less. I do believe if a divorced/remarried man found himself in a position approaching pastorship...he would have to excuse himself from that. But, I'm only speaking of evangelizing and missions like Paul and Philip's example.

We are probably in agreement here then.

The problem today being that what is called missionaries and evangelists is not the same as what Paul and Philip were doing. The terms have become far more broad and those carrying such titles are often engaged in far different things.

• Members

Can divorced or remarried CHRISTIAN men become evangelists and/or missionaries?

Do the words below apply to divorced CHRISTIAN men and CHRISTIAN men who marry divorced women?

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

No! Divorced Christian men cannot do anything in the church but tithe. Sit in the back row and tithe and continue to self-flagellate themselves and be used as an example of a failed man by the pastor every service because obviousily if they were spiritual or still within God's calling their wives wouldn't have ran off with another man or left him because divorce is easy and careers are abundant. He just should be thankful that we let him in our church so he can be a perpetual pariah.

• Members

OK, OP, I did not give Scripture because it has been given throughout this thread. My definition of a missionary (and I presumed for the sake of this discussion we all were speaking of the same thing) is one who is starting local churches in a foreign land. Therefore, they would be a pastor, even if it were only until a national pastor could take the position. If you are talking about something else, as it seems that the thread has shifted, then that is a different ball of wax. Divorce renders someone ineligible for certain things. Pastor (and in my definition-missionary) is one of those things.

To Wichbla, I am sorry you have such a sad view on things. You sound very angry and bitter in your sarcasm, or perhaps you are serious. Tithing is one area that I appreciate the opportunity to be able to do. To give back a small segment of the blessings God has given is a privilege. If that were the only way I could serve Him, I would be privileged to be allowed to do so. It is one thing that we can say that we are clear about in obedience. Ten percent is clearly defined. Makes it easy to obey. I believe the Bible is just as clear about the position of pastor within a church. It isn't that someone is Pariah. We are all Pariah, saved by grace.

I can not be a pastor because I am a girl. Does that make me Pariah, or merely ineligible. (I am very well versed in the Bible, I have a strong theological education, I have had many ladies say that I have a gift in teaching, so is it fair that I can't be a preacher or an evangelist?) I can help my gender less than one can help the choice of the person whom they marry. By the OP's definition (evangelists are not pastors) does that mean I can be an evangelist? I wouldn't be a pastor, just a helper in the church, right? (I do not believe that I have the right to be an evangelist, nor a lead missionary, I'm just applying the rationale given.) I think it is unfortunate that this discussion needs to be repeated so frequently. We are not listening to what the Bible says, but rather warping it to suit our own set of values. I mean no offense, I merely state my opinion.

• Members

No! Divorced Christian men cannot do anything in the church but tithe. Sit in the back row and tithe and continue to self-flagellate themselves and be used as an example of a failed man by the pastor every service because obviousily if they were spiritual or still within God's calling their wives wouldn't have ran off with another man or left him because divorce is easy and careers are abundant. He just should be thankful that we let him in our church so he can be a perpetual pariah.

No one said that which I put in bold letters. Yet your remark is the type remarks that were stated to Christ many times, and those type of remarks are still stated towards those who hold to God's truths today.

I can cleanly see how you react to that you disagree with, with this post of yours I'm replying to and this post in another topic you made.

Edited by Jerry80871852

For me the original OP questions are settled. The scripture presented in this thread settled the question I had in my mind.
The argument presented by scripture outweighed a lot of personal preference presented.

I have an authoritative answer and I believe the thread needs to be locked. It appears some folks are beginning to let emotion
rule the discussion..

• Members

For me the original OP questions are settled. The scripture presented in this thread settled the question I had in my mind.
The argument presented by scripture outweighed a lot of personal preference presented.

I have an authoritative answer and I believe the thread needs to be locked. It appears some folks are beginning to let emotion
rule the discussion..

Yes, I believe once we got straight exactly what was being talked about we were able to see what Scripture says.