• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Involuntary tithing by the local Church

Go to solution Solved by HappyChristian,

• Members

I have never agreed with the Baptist church that removes 10 percent from their employee's salary. I do support the local church and their employees should tithe, if they want to do so. This is just my opinion, you can tell this is being done, for they (employees) never put anything in the offering plate, when it passed by. ?

• Members
1 hour ago, TheGloryLand said:

I have never agreed with the Baptist church that removes 10 percent from their employee's salary. I do support the local church and their employees should tithe, if they want to do so. This is just my opinion, you can tell this is being done, for they (employees) never put anything in the offering plate, when it passed by. ?

I have never heard of this being done. If it is being done, it has to be with the "employees" blessing. What exactly are you referring to when you call these people employees? Pastoral staff? Secretary? Janitorial staff? Again, this seems like it's something you have little or nothing to do with unless YOU are employed by such an institution. 

• Members
10 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

How many Baptist churches do you attend? You seem to find big faults in a bunch of them.

• Members

The only way a church could remove a "tithe" from someone's salary if if it's an employee payroll deduction for the IRS. In that case they would have to or they'll end up in the slammer like Kent Hovind did. This was the main thing they busted him on. 

Are far as an actual tithe for the church I've never heard of a church removing an actual tithe from someone's paycheck.

• Members
1 hour ago, Joe Chandler said:

How many Baptist churches do you attend? You seem to find big faults in a bunch of them.

This is not a fault, it is a option.

42 minutes ago, SureWord said:

The only way a church could remove a "tithe" from someone's salary if if it's an employee payroll deduction for the IRS. In that case they would have to or they'll end up in the slammer like Kent Hovind did. This was the main thing they busted him on. 

Are far as an actual tithe for the church I've never heard of a church removing an actual tithe from someone's paycheck.

This is being done, they are told before they take the job. Now, how it is done before or after taxes, I don't know. I believe this is a common practice.

• Members
1 hour ago, TheGloryLand said:

This is not a fault, it is a option.

This is being done, they are told before they take the job. Now, how it is done before or after taxes, I don't know. I believe this is a common practice.

Believing and proving are two separate things. I'm going to be blunt here; if this isn't happening in the church you are a member of, it's really none of your concern, and you're sticking your nose into something that's not your concern. This is called rabble rousing. Some of us really hope that you'll get the picture and start posting some legitimate concerns as well as some POSITIVE posts about things. I truly think that you can do this. If you need help in doing so I'm always willing to help you in any way I can. I truly believe you have a good heart and care about a lot of things. 

• Administrators
  • Solution

I wouldn't work at a church that felt it had the right to tax my paycheck. Show me where it's biblical. I don't think it's that common, but I do know of a church that takes people out of ministry for not tithing (happened to our son, when he didn't even have a job - but nobody wanted to hear that). There may be more than one, but I don't know. Also know of a church that had a young man who interned for a whole year for no pay...young man was presented with a bill for his tithe for the year, based on what they would have paid him. He had to work another 2-3 weeks for free before he could go on to the ministry God was calling him to. Where is that in the Bible?

I don't know how common it actually is, but if the employee of the church accepts the job and that's the way they do it, well, the employee has no recourse but to put up with it.  IMO, it's making tithe a tax...income tax is unconstitutional, and IMO, forced tithe is unbiblical.

• Members
6 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

(happened to our son, when he didn't even have a job - but nobody wanted to hear that). There may be more than one, but I don't know. Also know of a church that had a young man who interned for a whole year for no pay...young man was presented with a bill for his tithe for the year, based on what they would have paid him. He had to work another 2-3 weeks for free before he could go on to the ministry God was calling him to. Where is that in the Bible?

Hmmm. I am pretty sure that 10% of $0.00 is ZERO. (Even so, those churches did not even charge a "tithe-tax." What they actually charged was membership dues.)

In addition, the case of the second church was completely backward. If the intern worked for the church for free, then the church received "services" and was thus the entity that acquired increase, not the intern. Even so, the church should have been responsible for the 10% of their increase, not the intern. 

What an ungodly shame the above two scenarios present. My heart continues to break over the condition of so much within the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement.

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

• Members
4 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm. I am pretty sure that 10% of $0.00 is ZERO. (Even so, those churches did not even charge a "tithe-tax." What they actually charged was membership dues.)

In addition, the case of the second church was completely backward. If the intern worked for the church for free, then the church received "services" and was thus the entity that acquired increase, not the intern. Even so, the church should have been responsible for the 10% of their increase, not the intern. 

What an ungodly shame the above two scenarios present. My heart continues to break over the condition of so much within the Independent Fundamental Baptist movement.

I have also learned that the faith assembly, might be practicing this too. My wife mentioned seeing it in a local neighborhood paper, that they fired one of the cooks, for not tithing. This didn't sound right to me if it is true?

Edited by TheGloryLand
Church mentioned

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I agree that it's not truly a tax, but I used that term to liken it to what the government does to our paychecks. Membership dues is a better term.

The incident with my son put him in a spiral for a while, but thankfully he is faithfully serving the Lord, as is the intern. 

• Members

I personally compare for the new Christians, when it comes to tithing and baptisms, this is in the same category. The new Christian does it when they’re ready, not by force. What true church will want money from someone that does not want to really give it? Blessings come from cheerful givers who give gladly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 9/6/2023 at 11:22 AM, Joe Chandler said:

You didn't answer the question. My question is how do you find all these "options" unless you are attending many churches?

Does your church practice this?

I can’t say what my church does and does not do. Tithing has been abused in many churches, that I visited throughout my thirty-plus years. I seen Members being faithful in their giving, not all. I have also noticed that some churches have not been good stewards of the tithe. Theyare more Self Center, where they don't even support mission personality. Just everything the pastor wants, spending only on themself and the property. No Fear

Edited by TheGloryLand
Grammar

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Tithing on the last days. I know that some here will not agree. Churches that do not manage their tithing and offering well, members should stop supporting there. Give to those who manage it correctly. For example, a church putting a new sign in front. It cost, 10 times more, than the one already there. This is not helping Jesus at all, or His ministry. Don't feel you have to support all the bad decisions that they make. Just don't give ? Help is needed everywhere, give wisely