• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

• Administrators

We did this song in church last week! Good song.

so, do you have the music for it? I would like to get it. As I said before, I just don't like the way Shust sings it. I think it's got some great words, though!! I love the chorus!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
"Here I Am To Worship"

Light of the world, You step down into darkness.
Opened my eyes let me see.
Beauty that made this heart adore you hope of a life spent with you.

[Chorus]
And here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,
Here I am to say that you're my God,
You're altogether lovely,
Altogether worthy,
Altogether wonderful to me.

King of all days,
Oh so highly exalted Glorious in heaven above.
Humbly you came to the earth you created.
All for love's sake became poor.

[Chorus]
Here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,
Altogether worthy,

I'll never know how much it cost to see my sin upon that cross.
I'll never know how much it cost to see my sin upon that cross.
And I'll never know how much it cost to see my sin upon that cross.
No I'll never know how much it cost to se my sin upon that cross.

[Chorus]
Here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,
Altogether worthy,
So Here I am to worship,
Here I am to bow down,

Writer Time Hughes (performed by various artists) Acoustic guitar only

We sang this song last Sunday.

• Members
so' date=' do you have the music for it? I would like to get it. As I said before, I just don't like the way Shust sings it. I think it's got some great words, though!! I love the chorus![/quote']

My wife and I occasionally sing contemporary songs at church. She has been playing the piano for all but the first few years of her life and we just arrange them appropriately for church if the message is already clear and true to God's word. :thumb

Our pastor's son also play the acoustic guitar really well, so they often do the same.

Guest Guest
so' date=' do you have the music for it? I would like to get it. As I said before, I just don't like the way Shust sings it. I think it's got some great words, though!! I love the chorus![/quote']

I may have the chart laying around somewhere still, let me look for it. :)

Guest Guest
I think it's got some great words' date=' though!! I love the chorus![/quote']

That is exactly what I believe, LuAnne. :smile The words are often beautiful and glorifing to Christ in CCM music, but I don't like the way the artist sings them. The instruments (such as the drums and electric guitar) ruin the song, IMO. If they can be sung in Gospel format, I would give a :thumb

BTW, you are speaking to a woman who grew up on Rock-n-Roll...and, would rather hear Gospel music since my salvation. :wave:

Guest Guest

Hi Kevin. :smile I think the older folks would love a song like that. :thumb I used to volunteer at a nursing home...and, they loved songs they had never heard before. It lifted them spiritually, IMO.

Guest Guest

I don't think this would be classifed as CCM or Gospel. Although, the songs that this musician sings are songs that we sing in church. Has anyone ever heard of Fernando Ortega? He is a piano player. His voice is awesome, IMO.

• Members

I am just a inch or two away from my degree in music but for one semester I thought I wanted to be a music business person. According to the director of the music business program, (who was a big-time industry lawyer in NYC,) that "there are some definite quality issues right now in the emerging genre of Contemporary Christian music."

For many reasons, I am not for rock music during church services.
But it's funny that a 100% secular source says that CCM has issues too.

Guest Guest
I am just a inch or two away from my degree in music but for one semester

Good for you, missfiddlyn27. :thumb :clap:

But it's funny that a 100% secular source says that CCM has issues too.

It is amazing what the "secular" world knows---and, will say.

I am not for Rock music during Church service but it is not wrong to rock TobyMac on your Ipod while you are working out. He actually quotes more scripture on stage than some pastors. Tank

• Members
I am not for Rock music during Church service but it is not wrong to rock TobyMac on your Ipod while you are working out. He actually quotes more scripture on stage than some pastors.

If you can't play it in church, should you be listening to it at home? And Tobymac may make references to the Bible or have partial quotes from it, but many of his lyrics are pretty vague, and some don't even make sense at all!

• Members
If you can't play it in church' date=' should you be listening to it at home? [/quote']

Sure, why not? There are plenty of things that are good, right and appropriate that we all do outside of church but wouldn't be appropriate in the assembly of the church. Just ask those who are married.

P.S. Never heard of "TobyMac" until this post so my reply is not in reference to his music specifically.....just the principle of "propriety" or appropriateness as it relates to church.