• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What is wrong with Christian Contemporary Music and Rock?

Guest Guest

Just saw a news cast and a Casting Crowns song was playing and people were on their knees and praying and singing and worshipping. My question is how is this any different then going door to door? I have changed some ideas on christian rock music a little but I do not see how this is so worldly and bad.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

CC has some great worship songs. Worship includes passion and I believe we should show that passion in our worship. Unfortunately, most hymns cannot be used to worship God. How could you raise your hands to God singing "Count Your Many Blessings?" A worship song focuses on the person or character of Christ, like the Psalms do. Hymns are great songs about God, but they aren't songs TO God.

Get it and I agree with you. I asked a pastor if I could sing and play " Im not skilled to understand" by Aaron Shust he said no CCM. I showed him number 278 in the hymn book! He still did not let me do a special said "you hang your guitar to low" Oh well last I knew he was wondering why God had not placed him in another church as Pastor.

• Members

I'm so sorry to disagree with you Kevin; but I certainly can (and have) raise my hands and heart in praise and worship to God for his greatness while singing most of the "old" hymns. You see, while I understand that YOU may not be able to do so, I'm from an older generation and God touches my heart to praise Him through those old hymns. I will grant you that God does use other more modern forms of music in my life as well.

I would never be so immature as to say that God can ONLY work through and bring his children to worship him through only one form or genre' of music.

I would never be so immature as to say that God can ONLY work through and bring his children to worship him through only one form or genre' of music.

:goodpost: trc. Gospel speaks directly to my heart. To each his own.

• Moderators
CC has some great worship songs. Worship includes passion and I believe we should show that passion in our worship. Unfortunately' date=' most hymns cannot be used to worship God. How could you raise your hands to God singing "Count Your Many Blessings?" A worship song focuses on the person or character of Christ, like the Psalms do. Hymns are great songs about God, but they aren't songs TO God.[/quote']

So not true! There are a wide variety of hymns -- some are about God, and some are to God. For an example of the latter (as well as a great one to lift one's hands on, if you wanted to), try 'Holy, Holy, Holy.' Sometimes I have trouble keeping from lifting my hands to that hymn. I was largely influenced by old-time Pentecostalism growing up. I don't have a problem with lifting hands during worshop (I think) but refrain from doing so because I don't think my current church would appreciate the association.

Btw, I don't think I'm from an 'older generation,' either -- I'm 25.

• Moderators

:goodpost: trc. Gospel speaks directly to my heart. To each his own.

We should not limit God, but in some areas, God does limit Himself. He will not work through what is ungodly.
Ps. 145:17 "The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works."

I could be so dead wrong on this one, but, the song..."Holy, Holy, Holy" was a song that we sung constantly in my RCC growing up. We NEVER lifted our hands up...the Jews did that in the OT, therefore; the RCC did NOT. My point being, I have noticed lately an influence of RCC songs in the IFB church. Gradually, that is. I don't know what that means, exactly? I am just making an observation. :smile

• Members

I belive that there are some contempary christian songs that are not god honering but just today I heard a song that pointed directly to my sin and I nearly started crying as I heard it, it showed me that I am not the only one hwo has fallen into sin and that I need to turn to god and repent.

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Christian and rock and roll are complete opposites you cannot combine the two. Rock and roll was give that name because of the movement of the cars out on the makeout spots while they listened to this music. I don't believe that Christ would want to be associated with that' date=' or Christians should not be asociated with it either, Music that promotes the movements and girations that go along with rock and CCM is wrong because people listen to it more for the tune, beat and pleasure that it gives them than they do for worship of God. Not to mention the lust that these movements stir.[/quote']

:amen::amen: I know this is two years late, but I just joined. It is a shame they have to use rock music on some of the songs that they write to, because I really like the words on some of the songs. But they are not a right witness using the rock beat. It is just like the world and we should seperate ourselves from the world. If the old fashioned gospel music without drums and electric guitar is to boring for the younger crowd or even some of the older ones, then they are listening to the music for the wrong reason no matter what the words are. We have a radio station in my area called Northern Christian Radio and when I first found it, I couldn't tell it was a christian radio station and I by-passed it many times until I recognized an old fashioned song sung in a worldly way. Not all the songs they sing are that way, but most are. I used to listen to rock music and my dumb and ignorant youth and can pick out which secular rock band these christion rock bands are trying to pattern themselves after as far as musical talent. I even heard Madonna one day (or a Madonna sound a like). Now that is sad. :pray :sad

• Members

Bach was once the "pop" of his time. lol I think we sometimes forget those things and accept "worldly" things only as long as they are more than 100 years old. It comes from a faulty understanding of what God meant when He told us to be separate from the world, in my opinion.

Off topic: What's wrong with electric guitars?

• Members

I know about bach and beethoven. Alot of rock music is based on classical music. That doesn't make it right. Some classical music is just as bad as rock. And yes I like classical, but you have to watch what you listen too.

To me electric guitar and snare drums or a complete drum set is too much for sacred music. Music is for praise and preparation for prayer. People get to much into the music it takes away from God.
I understand the draw of an electric guitar. It was my favorite instrument in a rock band. It takes away from the ungodly words being sung, because you are drawn to the guitar and you pretend you don't here the words. Same effect in christian rock. You are drawn to the music and maybe listen to the words later or are drawn to listen to non christian bands just to listen to the electric guitar. There are many talented non-christian electric guitar players.

All this is just my opinion based on my mistakes and the mistakes of other. Non just my opinion i guess. It is a conviction the Holy Spirit has put on my heart. But, maybe only for me because of the sins of my past.