• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Common Figure of Speech?

rstrats

• Members
3 hours ago, Jerry said:

I believe Jesus was crucified Wednesday morning (the fourth day after entering Jerusalem on Palm Sunday), then died just before the evening (leaving 3 full days in the grave), and rising sometime after sundown on Saturday night.

Although, off topic, that would only be maybe an hour or so on Wednesday, all day Thursday, all day Friday and only a partial day on Saturday.  How do you get 3 full days?  

• Members
56 minutes ago, rstrats said:

Which seems odd for a Baptist site. 

It seems to be more of a Catholic, Lutheran, Greek Orthodox stance. I've only gone to two Baptist churches that held to a Friday crucifixion and burial. 

• Members
14 hours ago, Jerry said:

3 full days - 72 hours - all day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Saturday/sabbath ends in the evening.

When you said the Messiah rose sometime after sundown on Saturday night, to what part of Saturday were you referring?

• Members

Sundown Wednesday evening to sundown Thursday evening is one full day.

Thursday-Friday evening is the second full day.

Friday-Saturday evening is the third. 72 hours - 3 days and 3 nights.

Then Jesus arose sometime after sundown on Saturday night. On the Jewish calendar that is now the first day of the week. He arose after the sabbath ended, but before Sunday morning.

• Members
14 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Then Jesus arose sometime after sundown on Saturday night. On the Jewish calendar that is now the first day of the week. He arose after the sabbath ended, but before Sunday morning.

So you're saying the Messiah rose sometime during Sunday night. That would mean that 4 night times would have been involved. But He said that only 3 would be. 

BTW, Saturday night had been over some 12 hours by the time Saturday ended. 

• Members

After the sabbath would make it Saturday night, according to our calendar. Not rocket science.

The start of the sabbath is on Friday night - starts Friday sundown.

• Members
4 hours ago, Jerry said:

After the sabbath would make it Saturday night, according to our calendar. Not rocket science.

We're talking about an event which took place 2000 years ago where a calendar day went from sundown to sundown, and not from midnight to midnight. 

• Members

Only in Israel. Regardless, from the context of my post it is obvious what I was saying. Nothing difficult to understand about what I said or how I sad it.

• Members
2 hours ago, rstrats said:

We're talking about an event which took place 2000 years ago where a calendar day went from sundown to sundown, and not from midnight to midnight. 

Yet, Jerry laid it out pretty plainly. It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If I had said evening on the seventh day of the week, that might be one thing - but sundown/evening on the sabbath is still Saturday night, and so on. Easy to figure out. From evening Wednesday to evening on Saturday (when the sabbath is ending) is three full days and nights, 72 hours.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jerry said:

re "If I had said evening on the seventh day of the week, that might be one thing - but sundown/evening on the sabbath is still Saturday night..."

The night of the seventh day of the week had been over some 12 hours by sundown.  

re:  " From evening Wednesday to evening on Saturday (when the sabbath is ending) is three full days and nights, 72 hours."

That's an issue for a different topic. This one is directed to those who believe in a 6th day of the week crucifixion.