• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spiritual Experience = Truth

• Moderators

I have an old Navy friend who, after leaving the Navy, got into meth, then got off and was born again, and sadly, he is of this type. To him, experience=Holy Spirit, and he believes that trumps scripture every time. And of course, when I tell him that scripture is so important so that we can know when it is the Spirit moving, or just A spirit, he shrugs it off as 'I know the Spirit" sort of thing. In other words, to him, he has no need to verify the movement of the a spirit, whether its from God, even though the Bible tells us to do that very thing. Sort of drives you nuts after a while.

• Members

Aherm.  The Trail of Blood booklet lists the Montanists as true Baptists.

Okay, let me first say that I'm familiar with "The Trail of Blood". Next, let me say that I've also looked at "The Trail of Blood". Finally, let me say that the amount of time that I spent looking at "The Trail of Blood" was less than one minute...and that's being generous. 

Now that THAT is out in the open, I have to ask why the Montanists were included as Baptists (or the Baptist lineage) in "The Trail of Blood".

Was it simply because they baptized by immersion? There are main-line denominations that baptize by immersion, but they're certainly not Baptists.

Surely they weren't included as "Baptists" for their doctrinal beliefs!

Knowing that Montanists are included in "The Trail of Blood" kind of makes me glad I never spent much time looking at it.  :nuts:

• Members

Cross reference the Trail of Blood with books like The Battle for Baptist History from I.K. Cross and Churches in the Valley of Peidmont.. then you get the full picture.

The Trail of Blood is more of a summary.. doesn't go into great depth.. but from what I have read so far it is not inaccurate.. just a broad brush.

• Members

The whole idea that "there have always been Baptists", that John the Baptist was the first Baptist, that the Apostles were Baptists, the first church (and then churches) were Baptist, and there is a line of Baptist churches from then to today (except they all used different names) is false.

Nothing in Scripture points to Christians needing to draw an unbroken line between themselves and the Apostles. Many have tried to do so as a counter to the claims of the RCC that they are the one true church directly come from the Apostles and having existed since then.

Trying to claim that dozens of different groups of Christians, known by various names, were actually Baptists even though they were not known as Baptists is stretching things to the point of absurdity. Those claimed to have been Baptists were all known by other names, all or most held to views most Baptists here would disagree with.

Were the English, Germans and French of the 1300s actually Americans since so many Americans stem from them and in some cases had things in common? No, and the same holds true for those various groups of Christians which existed prior to Baptists.

It's not the name "Baptist" that's important, it's the following of Christ. As we know from history and our current times, all Baptists, whether in America or around the world, are not one and the same. Even tracing the history of actual Baptists we see there have been several "branches" of Baptists with various doctrinal views.

Why waste time trying to copy the RCC and proclaim Baptists as having an unbroken line of Apostolic authority? Scripture doesn't call for such. Scripture says Christians will be known for following Christ and those around will know true Christians by their love for one another.

If we have a good Baptist church praise God for we are linked to God through Christ; not some timeline of Apostolic succession.

• Members

Okay, let me first say that I'm familiar with "The Trail of Blood". Next, let me say that I've also looked at "The Trail of Blood". Finally, let me say that the amount of time that I spent looking at "The Trail of Blood" was less than one minute...and that's being generous. 

Now that THAT is out in the open, I have to ask why the Montanists were included as Baptists (or the Baptist lineage) in "The Trail of Blood".

Was it simply because they baptized by immersion? There are main-line denominations that baptize by immersion, but they're certainly not Baptists.

Surely they weren't included as "Baptists" for their doctrinal beliefs!

Knowing that Montanists are included in "The Trail of Blood" kind of makes me glad I never spent much time looking at it.  :nuts:

I am not saying TOB is right in that, I think thay were absolutely wrong.  I did question this with a TOB supporter and he said they baptised those coming from other churches, so they must be baptists.  But then the other churches rebaptised ex Montanists. 

I have a little booklet on Montanism which is an extract from a book by E de Pqressense.  He says he places Montanism among the Judaising heresies.  Montanism he says like all ascetic doctrines enters its strongest protest against the union of the sexes.  Originally against second marriage but later denounces marriage altogether.  Tertullian, who became a Montanist, when writing on the subject contents himself with quoting scripture when can make it sustain his view, but when dealing with the exact texts of St Paul, appeals to the higher power of the Paraclete. Montanism was the first to teach different types of sins Venial and Mortal, a doctrine later adopted by the RCC.

• Members

Augustine (of Canterbury, not of Hippo, I'll call the former Austin to distinguish them)  Austin, is said to have baptised 10,000 in the River Swale in Kent, including the king of Kent.  The Swale is only a mile or so from here and if stand up I can see it from my window.  It is not actually a river but a channel between Kent and the isle of Sheppey.  Austin is also said the have Baptised 10,000 in the river Swale in Yorkshire including the king of Northumbria.   Following TOB reasoning he might have been a true Baptist.  However when he met the king of Wales, who refused to be converted, Austin slew 1000 of his followers showing that he was a true Catholic.

• Members

I am not saying TOB is right in that, I think thay were absolutely wrong.

I'm sorry Invicta. Let me assure you that I didn't think you were saying the TOB was right. I was only quoting you, because you brought it into the discussion. Though I realize it appears that I was directing my responses toward you, I was actually responding to "The Trail of Blood"...if that makes sense.

• Members

The whole idea that "there have always been Baptists", that John the Baptist was the first Baptist, that the Apostles were Baptists, the first church (and then churches) were Baptist, and there is a line of Baptist churches from then to today (except they all used different names) is false.

Nothing in Scripture points to Christians needing to draw an unbroken line between themselves and the Apostles. Many have tried to do so as a counter to the claims of the RCC that they are the one true church directly come from the Apostles and having existed since then.

Trying to claim that dozens of different groups of Christians, known by various names, were actually Baptists even though they were not known as Baptists is stretching things to the point of absurdity. Those claimed to have been Baptists were all known by other names, all or most held to views most Baptists here would disagree with.

Were the English, Germans and French of the 1300s actually Americans since so many Americans stem from them and in some cases had things in common? No, and the same holds true for those various groups of Christians which existed prior to Baptists.

It's not the name "Baptist" that's important, it's the following of Christ. As we know from history and our current times, all Baptists, whether in America or around the world, are not one and the same. Even tracing the history of actual Baptists we see there have been several "branches" of Baptists with various doctrinal views.

Why waste time trying to copy the RCC and proclaim Baptists as having an unbroken line of Apostolic authority? Scripture doesn't call for such. Scripture says Christians will be known for following Christ and those around will know true Christians by their love for one another.

If we have a good Baptist church praise God for we are linked to God through Christ; not some timeline of Apostolic succession.

It's true that it is pretty much impossible to trace God's churches through an unbroken line in history, but it is also true that the New Testament churches had a particular doctrine and order faith and that not every church calling itself a church is one that follows after this pattern.

The churches that truly follow this pattern have historically been 'baptist' churches. Eg... no infant baptism, baptism by full immersion of believers only, belief the bible is the Word of God,salvation by grace thru faith in Christ.. independence and autonomy of the local church, belief in one triune God.. etc..

There are now other different named churches that would believe these things.. but it was the 'baptists' that had it first. 

You are right though that the early churches didn't have the name 'baptist', except I have heard some were given the name 'ana-baptist' and 'baptist' as an insult.

But calling the apostles baptists and john the baptist a baptist etc...  seems strange.. unless you think about what a true baptist church believes and then consider that their pattern of faith and order is the same as the first churches.

There is no absolute line of succession it is true.. but there is a thread that starts and then goes underground and then pops up all through history of God's churches.  Not every church that calls itself one of God's... is His.