• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Suit and Tie

• Members

Hello, I noticed that not many people use suit anymore, suits look great and I have no problem with those that wear them. In black churches, they dressed in suits and hats, the way many of us used to dress, around 70 years ago. I remember someone said to me, dressing up the way you would dress if you were going to court. I thought that was pretty good. I don’t believe in dressing down or going to church or in shorts with slippers. lately I seen many preachers preaching with an expensive T-shirt and a jacket over it. When going to the house of the Lord to worship and hear his word preach, you’re going to a wedding in my opinion. Enjoy and look good for the Lord, and friends.

• Members
3 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Hello, I noticed that not many people use suit anymore, suits look great and I have no problem with those that wear them. In black churches, they dressed in suits and hats, the way many of us used to dress, around 70 years ago. I remember someone said to me, dressing up the way you would dress if you were going to court. I thought that was pretty good. I don’t believe in dressing down or going to church or in shorts with slippers. lately I seen many preachers preaching with an expensive T-shirt and a jacket over it. When going to the house of the Lord to worship and hear his word preach, you’re going to a wedding in my opinion. Enjoy and look good for the Lord, and friends.

Those are your opinions and choices. Not everyone has a suit, and many women don't have dresses. My personal PREFERENCE for pastors is for them to be wearing a collared shirt and jacket....but again, that's my preference. I also would prefer that the pastors wife wear a knee-length dress or skirt. I've seen far too many of them wearing leggings or shorter dresses. I was raised (and so were you) in a day where pastors "dressed to the nines" and looked professional. But, I have gone to services where the pastor is wearing a collarless shirt or T-shirt and jeans, and we KNEW that the Holy Spirit was moving in the assembly. So, we're pretty much in agreement on what we would like to see pastors in. 😉🤠

• Members
22 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Those are your opinions and choices. Not everyone has a suit, and many women don't have dresses. My personal PREFERENCE for pastors is for them to be wearing a collared shirt and jacket....but again, that's my preference. I also would prefer that the pastors wife wear a knee-length dress or skirt. I've seen far too many of them wearing leggings or shorter dresses. I was raised (and so were you) in a day where pastors "dressed to the nines" and looked professional. But, I have gone to services where the pastor is wearing a collarless shirt or T-shirt and jeans, and we KNEW that the Holy Spirit was moving in the assembly. So, we're pretty much in agreement on what we would like to see pastors in. 😉🤠

Really: Copy and Paste back to you. 😂

Those are your opinions and choices. Not everyone has a suit, and many women don't have dresses. 👗

• Members
16 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Really: Copy and Paste back to you. 😂

Those are your opinions and choices. Not everyone has a suit, and many women don't have dresses. 👗

As I clearly stated later in that post it was my preference, not a requirement. You truly need to work on your comprehension of the English language and etiquette skills as well. That's NOT just an opinion, but an honest observation. Have a nice day.

• Administrators

I do not have any dress requirements for people in our church, except for those who are singing or preaching. Some people have left our church because they felt they had to dress a certain way, even though they admitted that nothing was ever said or preached about it. Years later, they confessed that it was something they had made up in their minds to justify leaving. It got them thinking because when they visited another church with a suit on, they were told that they didn't have to wear that here. They realized that some of the come as you are church is only come as they are. lol

I have personal convictions on this, and they are just that. Also, nice dress is defined differently in different cultures. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 6/8/2024 at 11:52 AM, Pastor Matt said:

I do not have any dress requirements for people in our church, except for those who are singing or preaching. Some people have left our church because they felt they had to dress a certain way, even though they admitted that nothing was ever said or preached about it. Years later, they confessed that it was something they had made up in their minds to justify leaving. It got them thinking because when they visited another church with a suit on, they were told that they didn't have to wear that here. They realized that some of the come as you are church is only come as they are. lol

I have personal convictions on this, and they are just that. Also, nice dress is defined differently in different cultures. 

And that is the core and crux.

• Members
Posted (edited)

In Samoa, people dress up for church.  Not sure about now, but in the 80s.. the majority of people went to a church service on a Sunday and wore white.  But this was then usually a more formal type of lava lava. 

I don't know how it is now, but they do a very similar thing in Fiji and Tonga

Edited by MikeWatson1

• Administrators

I have to chuckle because this subject has come up in conversation the last couple of days for reasons I'll explain below. I will first state that we are very like Pastor Matt. IOW, hubs wears suit and tie, and those who teach/preach from the pulpit are so required. Ushers are required to wear a dress shirt/tie (or a sports shirt since many of them look like a dress shirt). Jacket not required for them.  Hubs has not preached that men must dress thusly and women must dress thusly. Rather, his focus is on holiness. We have seen many changes - including dress - as the Holy Spirit has worked on folks in regards to holiness.

(explanation:) That said, I found something interesting Sunday afternoon. Photos of William and Catherine (the British royals) and their oldest son and their daughter were taken as they arrived at different events (his in Germany, hers in England). William and his son (and all the men around them) were in suit and tie. Throughout the entire game. Catherine and her daughter were in dresses. 

I mentioned to my husband how interesting it is that they attended SPORTS events dressed like that - and were comfortable doing so, as pictures made obvious - and yet here in America, a broo-haw-haw is made about folks wearing what has always been termed "dress" or "church" clothes to church. (now, I understand that not everyone can afford fancy duds, and I am not advocating that...I'm sure William's suits cost more than my hubs' and I know Catherine's dresses cost more than mine lol) Now in our culture folks that WANT to dress nicely (you know, not in ripped jeans, tee shirts, mini-skirts, shorts, etc) are reviled. My husband was told by a gentleman who attended for a while that he needed to stop wearing suits because it would make people feel unwelcome...my hubs told him he dresses the way he believes God would have him do, and he doesn't tell anyone else how to dress (unless involved in ministry). 

Many folks I know like to throw around the words "pharisee" and "legalist" when talking about folks that wear traditional church clothing. Regardless of whether or not those folks try to force/guilt/manipulate others to dress the same. IOW, so many folks who stand against suits/ties and dresses are actually hypocritical. They want to wear whatever they want yet don't extend that grace to others. Could it be that seeing folks dressed "traditionally" brings conviction and instead of submitting to the Holy Spirit they attack to justify their own desires? Not saying it's always the case, but I do have to wonder.  

I know that a suit and tie do not make a man holy. Nor does a dress make a woman so. I think it's legitimate to bring to light that there are churches that teach (or at least SEEM to) that holiness only comes if you dress just so. That is a product of the 1970s, when churches began really pushing dresses on girls and short hair on guys. Don't get me wrong...long hair on guys is unbiblical for sure. But when the external became the basis for holiness, true holiness didn't happen. And I think we're seeing the fruit of that today.

Ugh. Wrote more than I intended, and I'm tired, recuperating from several days of sickness. So I don't know if this even makes sense. Hope it does.