• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Pastor Get Remarried If His Wife....

The Glory Land

• Members

what would we do with verses like this one:

Mt 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Is it only applicable to Israel?

Someone above asked when a person was blameless.  Would this indicate when:

Eph 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

I would agree that if she left him that there was something not right in their relationship.  But unless we know every detail of that relationship we could not make a correct judgement on it.  So without complete knowledge I would say the pastor should step down and submit to another leader for a time before being reinstated to a leadership possition of any kind.

If we knew this man never neglected or abused his wife that may influence a judgement.  But then again if she had time to carry on with another then it would seem she was neglected.

Pastors, be sure you don't neglect your families because of ministry.  This is the cause of things like this and in that case the Pastor is not blameless.  He needs to seek forgiveness from his wife and children for this neglect.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Believe me, there are many of pastors that don't have their homes in order. Did this disqualified them?

Very true.  Just because they have been married only once, doesn't mean they have the church house in order.  Personally, I stay with the scripture quoted, as I know what baggage can do to a marriage.  I was faced with another custody battle when I met my husband.  Joe had to intercede on my behalf to protect me and my son.  Had he been a pastor or a deacon it would have affected his ministry.  Again, he has no desire to hold a position like that in the church, anyway.

• Members

Just to point out one aspect with regard to one wife - Rom 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

This of course is the other side, but if her husband is alive and she marries another, she is an adulteress.

Applied to a pastor this would cause problems to the "one wife at a time" thought, AND it removes the widower from the discussion.

• Members

1 Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach; 

For those of you who say divorce is okay for a pastor how would you answer these questions:

How could a pastor remain blameless or beyond reproach if he gets divorces, or divorces and remarries?  

A divorce is a divorce no matter which spouse- husband or wife initiated the divorce.

How could a pastor place faith in God for his marriage (for better or for worse) and then get divorced. Does that not "speak" to others that God was not powerful enough to save or fix his own marriage.  

How could a pastor counsel others in courtship and marriage if he himself was divorced?

I think this is a controversial question which depends on how big a person's view of God is, if they equate marriage to a picture of God and His church, and what denomination one is.

• Members

Very true.  Just because they have been married only once, doesn't mean they have the church house in order.  Personally, I stay with the scripture quoted, as I know what baggage can do to a marriage.  I was faced with another custody battle when I met my husband.  Joe had to intercede on my behalf to protect me and my son.  Had he been a pastor or a deacon it would have affected his ministry.  Again, he has no desire to hold a position like that in the church, anyway.

Yes I agree and there are some that are not in order, but God is big and can work in those situations, amen!  

A pastor's life is stressful and family life can take a toll now and then and it takes much prayer and work to keep it all running smoothly but divorce is never an option in my book for a pastor and his wife.

• Members

Leaves him, for an other woman? I asked a co-worker yesterday, what ever happen to so and so, I have not seen her in a long time. Did she go to the night shift? He said to me, you don't know?  No, I don't. She left with an other woman that she fell in love with, not working here anymore. How said, I do know that she had kids. Women cheats on their husbands too.

Can a pastor get remarried, if his wife leave him for a other man or woman? or does he have to wait, to she dies. :popcorn:

Yes. 

Next.

• Members

Yes I agree and there are some that are not in order, but God is big and can work in those situations, amen!  

A pastor's life is stressful and family life can take a toll now and then and it takes much prayer and work to keep it all running smoothly but divorce is never an option in my book for a pastor and his wife.

Divorce isn't an option if one of the spouses is having an affair?

• Members

As someone mentioned earlier, Hosea.

What a horrible situation to be in, but Hosea went and brought her back and loved her as a wife.
It was a living illustration of God and Israel.

• Administrators

Never an option.  Marriage is a picture of Christ and the church.

Jesus said it is an option....for fornication alone.  Best case is to work things out if possible, but if one of the spouses isn't willing and continues in fornication, the marriage can be done away with.  Jesus said so. *shrugs*  

• Members

Matthew 19:6-8 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 

1 Corinthians 7:27-28 Art thou bound unto a wife? seek not to be loosed. Art thou loosed from a wife? seek not a wife. But and if thou marry, thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, she hath not sinned. Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. 

This thread was originally about a pastor being divorced.  Because a Pastor is shepherding the flock he should not be divorced that is against the verse of qualifications of a pastor to be a husband of one wife 1 Tim 3:2 and likely against his churches standards and precepts as well.  Besides the fact that he would not be living Christ-like being divorced how could he attest to marriage and provide an example himself to others?  Let alone disciple young church members in marital relationships and counseling others in marriage?

Yes many today may live like the world and give little thought of continuing on in a marriage.  God did allow for divorce because of fornication but he hates divorce.  Mal2:14-16 and He allowed it for hardening of the heart.  

Ultimately the power of God can shine through a troubled marriage where forgiveness has been offered and accepted all for His glory and honor according to His will.

Archived