• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Involuntary tithing by the local Church

Go to solution Solved by HappyChristian,

• Members
1 hour ago, TheGloryLand said:

Tithing on the last days. I know that some here will not agree. Churches that do not manage their tithing and offering well, members should stop supporting there. Give to those who manage it correctly. For example, a church putting a new sign in front. It cost, 10 times more, than the one already there. This is not helping Jesus at all, or His ministry. Don't feel you have to support all the bad decisions that they make. Just don't give ? Help is needed everywhere, give wisely 

These are your opinions. Some churches NEED new signage. And how do you know it's not helping the ministry of the church or Jesus? If one is in a church that the Lord wants them in, I believe they should be tithing where they attend. One can always direct what their tithe is to be used for. Putting an emoticon with a halo doesn't make it any the less disconcerting to some of us who see this constant worrying about other people's churches.

• Members
6 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

If you give money to your son, so that he can buy an automobile to go to work, and he decides to buy a motorcycle and gets wet every day. That is his decision, poor decision. You don’t have to buy him an automobile later. 

Here you're comparing apples ? and oranges. 

• Administrators

if churches don't manage their money well, the members ought to do something about it...not quit giving, but hold the pastor accountable for how the money is spent. There are times a new church sign is necessary (we would LOVE to have a permanent sign, but we cannot because of where we meet...bureaucratic red tape). There are times a new roof is necessary. Or a new building. Those are all necessary parts of having a local church building. I would be more concerned about other spending issues than a new sign, end times or not. We are to occupy til He comes and signage is a part of that for a church.

• Members

If there is good open finance, everything you mentioned is good. But if not, don't give. Christians that don't care, this does not help. The fear of ministering God's money has gone In many churches, it is very easy for them to spend your tithe. Like your local government does, no fear and wasting. Sad ?

• Members
36 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

If there is good open finance, everything you mentioned is good. But if not, don't give. Christians that don't care, this does not help. The fear of ministering God's money has gone In many churches, it is very easy for them to spend your tithe. Like your local government does, no fear and wasting. Sad ?

Our church lets people designate where their tithing dollars go. A majority of the churches in this country have less than 100 people. Rural churches typically run between 45-75. Most of these churches are doing their desd level best to be accountable for the dispersion of the funds. I've only been a member of one church (Baptist Church) that didn't hold their leaders accountable for how funds were allocated. After it was discovered that over $45k was unaccounted for and missing, the church ended up in a huge split, and many people were hurt, families divided, and trust in the leaders was permanently lost. The two churches because of the split still fight and hate each other, and both have become seeker sensitive, this is your day to be rich and healed type of churches. They're no longer Baptist but instead have become charismatic leaning non denominational churches. We never hear of people being saved or lives changed because of Christ. It breaks my heart.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Then said Christians need to find a better church. Not stop giving. 

• Members
On 8/25/2023 at 9:00 AM, TheGloryLand said:

I have never agreed with the Baptist church that removes 10 percent from their employee's salary. I do support the local church and their employees should tithe, if they want to do so. This is just my opinion, you can tell this is being done, for they (employees) never put anything in the offering plate, when it passed by. ?

I've never heard of a church taking tithing out of staffs salary...but I'm sure it does happen in churches like Seventh Day Adventists where Old Testament tithing is still emphasized.

I know I've noticed over the years exactly what you are talking about. I would notice how a deacon or other member would not put anything in the offering plate weekly. I realized later that instead of paying weekly they would often just write one check that included the entire months tithes. 

There is a non baptist church I used to attend occasionally and in that church they didn't believe in Pastors being a paid position. When I did visit I almost always sat in the same row as the Pastor and several times when I would get the offering plate the Pastors check would be laying in it opened and I couldn't help but noticed that he always gave 80$ a week despite not being paid for his role. I was impressed by his generosity.

I've never been to an IFB that practiced tithing. I remember one of the deacons talking to me about it one time and in his view it was a free will offering of each member and in many cases they would give even more than if they followed a ten percent tithe.

As for the staff...other than the Pastor, Associate Pastor, and the Secretary all the other positions were just part time roles each week while they held employment elsewhere...but in most cases the church staff would also work at the K-12 school in some capacity so they could make a living with in the "ministry" of the church.

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members
9 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

I've never heard of a church taking tithing out of staffs salary...but I'm sure it does happen in churches like Seventh Day Adventists where Old Testament tithing is still emphasized.

I know I've noticed over the years exactly what you are talking about. I would notice how a deacon or other member would not put anything in the offering plate weekly. I realized later that instead of paying weekly they would often just write one check that included the entire months tithes. 

There is a non baptist church I used to attend occasionally and in that church they didn't believe in Pastors being a paid position. When I did visit I almost always sat in the same row as the Pastor and several times when I would get the offering plate the Pastors check would be laying in it opened and I couldn't help but noticed that he always gave 80$ a week despite not being paid for his role. I was impressed by his generosity.

I've never been to an IFB that practiced tithing. I remember one of the deacons talking to me about it one time and in his view it was a free will offering of each member and in many cases they would give even more than if they followed a ten percent tithe.

As for the staff...other than the Pastor, Associate Pastor, and the Secretary all the other positions were just part time roles each week while they held employment elsewhere...but in most cases the church staff would also work at the K-12 school in some capacity so they could make a living with in the "ministry" of the church.

Yes sir, I understand the monthly tithe. Some pastor don't put anything at all into the plate, not sure what going on there. It is nice to hear from the pastor you mentioned who gave and did not get paid to preach, he will be blessed here for it. in a different post regarding Pastor getting paid. This is also a problem. They get these crazy packages that includes cars houses to live and more. I don’t agree with all this, but I do agree that they get paid well and that they cover their own needs.

• Members
1 minute ago, TheGloryLand said:

Yes sir, I understand the monthly tithe. Some pastor don't put anything at all into the plate, not sure what going on there. It is nice to hear from the pastor you mentioned who gave and did not get paid to preach, he will be blessed here for it. in a different post regarding Pastor getting paid. This is also a problem. They get these crazy packages that includes cars houses to live and more. I don’t agree with all this, but I do agree that they get paid well and that they cover their own needs.

Again, does what another church does affect you in any way, shape, or form?Why are you worried about whether another churches pastor tithes or not? It truly seems to some of us you're worried about another's business. That's called meddling. As far as what they're paid, or even the benefits they are provided with, it's really nobody's concern but his, the church he's pastoring, and the Lord's. Keeping your eyes on the Lord and the mission he gave his followers are what we need to be concerned with, and what goes on in the church we're attending.

• Members
31 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I'm not sure how paid Pastors typically pay tithing. In the case of the lead Pastor especially....I'm not even sure it would be necessary for him to tithe in the way we think of it for the people in the pews 

In many ways the Pastor and his family sacrifice a far greater price when serving a local church. A Pastor is many things...like having the role as a "counselor" to listen to members personal problems and give them guidance. In ordinary circumstances someone could charge nearly a 100$ a session for the same kind of guidance.

Not only the Pastor but his entire family are generally expected to live and act in ways that members wouldn't because of the scrutiny that comes with it. Many Pastors or their children have been unable to live up to those expectations causing them to fall away from their faith altogether.

I personally would believe that when it comes to financial giving of a Pastor it would be up to the Pastors own discretion and whether he does or doesn't shouldn't be the concern of others. If it were mandatory then the church itself would be doing the very thing you mentioned by taking his "tithe" directly out of his income without his permission.

I wouldn't hold a position either way 

• Members
18 hours ago, Disciple.Luke said:

I'm not sure how paid Pastors typically pay tithing. In the case of the lead Pastor especially....I'm not even sure it would be necessary for him to tithe in the way we think of it for the people in the pews 

In many ways the Pastor and his family sacrifice a far greater price when serving a local church. A Pastor is many things...like having the role as a "counselor" to listen to members personal problems and give them guidance. In ordinary circumstances someone could charge nearly a 100$ a session for the same kind of guidance.

Not only the Pastor but his entire family are generally expected to live and act in ways that members wouldn't because of the scrutiny that comes with it. Many Pastors or their children have been unable to live up to those expectations causing them to fall away from their faith altogether.

I personally would believe that when it comes to financial giving of a Pastor it would be up to the Pastors own discretion and whether he does or doesn't shouldn't be the concern of others. If it were mandatory then the church itself would be doing the very thing you mentioned by taking his "tithe" directly out of his income without his permission.

I wouldn't hold a position either way 

I believe that pastors should also tithe, why not? They are not higher than the angles, that don't tithe. Christians must understand that they are men, sinners, repented, saved and serving God, just like you and me. Pastors, have a little bit more of responsibility. ? Christians that are treating their pastors as a higher superior, are sinners. Ask Moses'