• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Got the Garden Plowed Yesterday

• Administrators

We have not had much of a garden since we moved here. Hubs is way too busy to do much. But my brother is living here now, and loves to garden. So we're going to do something this year. A neighbor plowed the garden yesterday (he has a tractor plow). We have a small tiller that can do little areas, which they will use as they plant. Our son and dil got my mom and me each a blueberry bush for Mother's Day, so those are definitely going in asap. We all love blueberries (except my son, the weirdo lol), especially Asher. So we'll have bushes at their place and here. My bro wants to pick up at least two more, so he'll be going to the farmstand that has them and checking things out.

Because of the short growing season here, we are going to be buying starts. Should have had them going from our seeds, but time got away from us. I'm so looking forward to fresh garden veggies again!

• Members

We wanted a garden this year, but, I guess it's not to be. With all the health challenges we're experiencing, and with my wife working 40+ hours at CEVA, and me working with the dogs all day, we just don't have the chance to do it. Besides, we don't have a plow or a tiller. We're probably going to be visiting the farmers markets. We've got two blueberry bushes we planted last year. They're still alive and look healthy. The two blackberry bushes succumbed to the bad winter, birds and windstorms. Maybe next year, and maybe in South Carolina.

• Members
Posted (edited)

We didn't have much time for a garden this year. I have been under the weather but did tiller up about half of the 73x30 green house, then made some rows with the middle buster plow. LynnDee then planted several varieties of lettuce and we've been munching on that like a couple of rabbits for awhile now. Hopefully I can get out there in the fall and till up a fall garden in a few months and we can grow a few more things besides lettuce. We picked about 3 gallons of berries off the mulberry trees and LynnDee made some Mulberry jelly. Delicious. We also had three of the sheep butchered and have been eating stuff like sheep burgers, sheep spaghetti, sheep stew, sheep and potatoes, fried sheep, roasted sheep etc. pretty good. 🙂

Edited by heartstrings

• Administrators

So my brother is getting really stoked about the garden. We have tomatoes, bell peppers, beets, zucchini, the berries...and maybe some more, I'm not sure. lol. It's been raining and a bit cool here, so it'll probably be Fri/Sat when the planting takes place. We'll also be getting cucumbers. Oh, and there are green beans.

We should be busy canning not too long from now. Time to put my new pressure cooker to use. 

• 1 month later...