Jump to content
  • Welcome Guest

    For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Recovering Fundamentalists


Recommended Posts

  • Members

There is a group called the Recovering Fundamentalists. They have a WEB site and everything. I went there and read their articles of faith. I also have heard some of their preacher back before they started this group. There purpose is to disparage mainline fundamentalists. So they point out all the bad actors within the Independent Fundamental Baptist circles. In my opinion is that this is not a good movement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Here is their stated mission.

OUR MISSION
We exist to help and encourage those whose lives have been negatively affected by fundamentalist legalism in the church and to challenge those who promote tradition over Scripture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

On their WEB site they have a Story tab. Go here to read about every possible horrible thing that IFB people have done to these people. So all the malcontents have a 'safe space' to vent. I fail to see how this benefits anybody. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lady Administrators

Yes, it's a mess, for sure! I know a number of "recovering" fundies...most have basically turned their backs on all things biblical (while claiming to be more biblical) and have become very humanistic while trying to appear spiritual. That breeds the critical spirit that the site you're referencing exudes.

Although I do know a number of people who have legitimately been hurt in churches. "Recovering" is certainly not the answer (their definition of recovering).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, Joe Chandler said:

There is a group called the Recovering Fundamentalists. They have a WEB site and everything. I went there and read their articles of faith. I also have heard some of their preacher back before they started this group. There purpose is to disparage mainline fundamentalists. So they point out all the bad actors within the Independent Fundamental Baptist circles. In my opinion is that this is not a good movement. 

I have to disagree with your assessment. It's purpose when it initially started was to help those who (like my wife and me) had been in abusive churches. At that time there were quite a few of these churches, usually connected with Hyles Anderson College, BJU, Ruckman, etc al, and was to encourage people to look for better churches within the IFB movement. I was in that group for a few months until some of the more unsavory characters started to enter, ie people who followed the writings of Christian novelist and BJU grad Jeri Massi. She has a blog on abuses in the IFB by both pastors and leaders in the movement. Very one sided and not always totally unbiased or factual. Still, she has a following. One of the people who helped lead a lot of people into the group is Evangelist Tim Lee. I believe he's since broken his affiliation with the group, but I am not certain of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I've seen a few of their videos. I realize people have been mistreated and even abused in IFB churches but these guys seemed like nitpicking crybabies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Just now, SureWord said:

I've seen a few of their videos. I realize people have been mistreated and even abused in IFB churches but these guys seemed like nitpicking crybabies.

I agree. Many are and are crying "abuse" for everything. That's unacceptable. I was physically abused in the IFB churches when I was younger, beaten up by a pastor, mentally abused, as well as spiritual abuse from the man. Yet, I don't go around every day whining about it. We are responsible for how we respond and recover. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

I agree. Many are and are crying "abuse" for everything. That's unacceptable. I was physically abused in the IFB churches when I was younger, beaten up by a pastor, mentally abused, as well as spiritual abuse from the man. Yet, I don't go around every day whining about it. We are responsible for how we respond and recover. 

Wow! That is pretty serious. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
23 minutes ago, Joe Chandler said:

Wow! That is pretty serious. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

Thank you. I didn't reveal that for pity but to help others to realize that recovery can come through the Lord and that we are responsible to forgive and move on with our lives. We forgive for us, not for them. They may never be sorry for what they did. That's between them and the Lord.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...