• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

In a Local church who is supposed to get paid?

Go to solution Solved by Jim_Alaska,

• Members
19 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Are you talking about paid staff members? I'm taking it that you are. It's true that in many instances that paid staff members will be more faithful, but, this isn't always the case. There are many who are involved in their churches who never accept one penny of pay and do quite well in being faithful.  Many churches, like the one I'm a member of presently, cannot afford to pay anyone but a pastor and assistant if there is one at the time. 

No, I never got paid for serving the Lord. But, I’m pretty sure that there are some, that just puts it back into the offering plate.

• Members
4 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

No, I never got paid for serving the Lord. But, I’m pretty sure that there are some, that just puts it back into the offering plate.

I know in one church where I was the music leader I was given a "love offering" a couple of times a year, but that was always endorsed and turned back over to the church. Even when I was filling the pulpit in many churches, I would endorse the check back over to the church. 

• Moderators
14 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Now, the funds of tithing is being used to paid out all these services. Is it okay, or the tithing and offering should be used for evangelize and paid the building bills. Utilities only.

Where exactly does a church get money besides tithes, eh? 

• Members
3 hours ago, Salyan said:

Where exactly does a church get money besides tithes, eh? 

Correct the tithe and offering is used for everything. What should it not be used for. Example; used for having a church barbecue, with jumping balloon for the kids. Yes, like the brother mention above. Everything goes they can do what the members wish, it’s non of my business.

Edited by TheGloryLand
Spelling

• Members

Folks, sadly some of the tithes and offerings should be supporting Missionaries, they are sometime the last thing that a church will support. I’m not talking about the general yearly offering, the Southern Baptist do, I’m talking about the local Independent Baptist church. Those missionaries that are seeking our support. Are they priority in your church, to support, praise God. Or are they on the back burner. 

• Members
6 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Correct the tithe and offering is used for everything. What should it not be used for. Example; used for having a church barbecue, with jumping balloon for the kids. Yes, like the brother mention above. Everything goes they can do what the members wish, it’s non of my business.

It's up to each church on how to spend the tithes and offerings. Why shouldn't the church use the tithes to have a church barbecue with anything and everything for kids? Each church is autonomous and able to do what they wish as long as it's Biblical with the income of tithes/offerings. 

4 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Folks, sadly some of the tithes and offerings should be supporting Missionaries, they are sometime the last thing that a church will support. I’m not talking about the general yearly offering, the Southern Baptist do, I’m talking about the local Independent Baptist church. Those missionaries that are seeking our support. Are they priority in your church, to support, praise God. Or are they on the back burner. 

I've never seen a Baptist church that puts missions on the back burner. I've been a member of many over the years, both IFB and SBC

• Members
3 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

It's up to each church on how to spend the tithes and offerings. Why shouldn't the church use the tithes to have a church barbecue with anything and everything for kids? Each church is autonomous and able to do what they wish as long as it's Biblical with the income of tithes/offerings. 

Barbecue and fun activities are not biblical, that’s my point. 

• Members
10 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Barbecue and fun activities are not biblical, that’s my point. 

Can you prove that assertion? Or is it just your opinion? I recall that Jesus fed 5000 people, and 4000 in another account. I also recall that the Bible talks about when the church met together they broke bread in fellowship. I think you'd better be checking your Bible, TGL. 

• Members
14 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

Can you explain this a little more? Are you saying it's wrong to have a bbq at church? 

It’s not so much the BBQ on the church property. It’s who is paying for it. The tithing and offering is for the Lords work. If we don’t manage it well, this fall’s under robbing God. The church is not a business where we do what ever it takes, by spending the tithing, to get more people to visit. Now, I know you and most here will agree.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

It’s not so much the BBQ on the church property. It’s who is paying for it. The tithing and offering is for the Lords work. If we don’t manage it well, this fall’s under robbing God. The church is not a business where we do what ever it takes, by spending the tithing, to get more people to visit. Now, I know you and most here will agree.

I understand what you are saying, I just don't know a verse in the Bible that backs that up, what verse/chapter do you use to come up with that conclusion? 

The robbing God verse is not talking about the church, but the individual. 

• Members
9 minutes ago, PastorMatt said:

I understand what you are saying, I just don't know a verse in the Bible that backs that up, what verse/chapter do you use to come up with that conclusion? 

The robbing God verse is not talking about the church, but the individual. 

I’m probably going overboard about this, more then the average Christian. I’m sorry, I’m trying to point out, we need to watch out, on how we are running and using His tithes, and offering. We can become blind to how we are using it. We need to manage it well, like the 3 the Lord gave money to invest, not to bury the tithes (talent) into the ground. To later just give it back to Him.

• Members
41 minutes ago, John Young said:

Not to nit pick but a lot of BBQs went on in the bible and were commanded by God and supported with tithes and offerings of God's people....

Yes, for they were hungry and for their survival. Many did eat, lest they faint and die.