• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Altar Call for Salvation

TheGloryLand
Go to solution Solved by Napsterdad,

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

A true “altar call” as they say is calling upon someone to react to the message - and that IS Biblical. Whether they go forward, respond in their seat, are encouraged to seek out the pastor or one of the other church workers for help in understanding the Gospel or how to trust in Jesus as Saviour all depend on the individual - but if a church does not challenge people to respond to the message in some way right after they hear it, they are missing an opportunity, and that person may never get saved or deal with whatever issues the message touched upon. What is important is responding in your heart to the Lord, whether you go forward to “the altar” or pray where you are sitting.

I am all for altar calls and pleading with people to respond and trust Christ. What I am against is when churches try to "rush" the matter and just get a "prayer" out of them so they can beat the Methodists to Applebees or whatever! Paul Washer illustrates this quite effectively with a story he tells about a man in the wilderness of Alaska (I think but could be wrong here) who was dying of terminal cancer and was genuinely fearful regarding his eternal destiny. He basically told the man that he was prepared to postpone his flight and spend as much time needed until he either had complete assurance of salvation or died and went to Hell. You could find it on YouTube if you are interested.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jerry said:

A true “altar call” as they say is calling upon someone to react to the message - and that IS Biblical. Whether they go forward, respond in their seat, are encouraged to seek out the pastor or one of the other church workers for help in understanding the Gospel or how to trust in Jesus as Saviour all depend on the individual - but if a church does not challenge people to respond to the message in some way right after they hear it, they are missing an opportunity, and that person may never get saved or deal with whatever issues the message touched upon. What is important is responding in your heart to the Lord, whether you go forward to “the altar” or pray where you are sitting.

👍 young man, do you know what you are reading? How can I know, if no one shows me? Men of God, what must I do to be saved? Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and thow shall be saved, and your house.

• 5 months later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

Amazing, that last church that I was member of are growing in new visitors, they have no altar calls at the end of the services, this was one reason we left that church. But at the same time, new members that you do not know, and who are baptized or who are new members? 

John Belushi Church GIF

Edited by TheGloryLand

• Members
2 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Amazing, that last church that I was member of are growing in new visitors, they have no altar calls at the end of the services, that was one reason we left. But at the same time, you do not know who are baptized or who are new members? 

John Belushi Church GIF

Alter calls don't necessarily produce converts, true or false ones. Baptisms are public, so I have to question how you wouldn't know who is or isn't baptized. 

• Members
10 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Alter calls don't necessarily produce converts, true or false ones. Baptisms are public, so I have to question how you wouldn't know who is or isn't baptized. 

Well, if people just keep coming and going who are saved or are members? Since we do not need to be members for salvation.

• Members
1 minute ago, TheGloryLand said:

Well, if people just keep coming and going who are saved or are members? Since we do not need to be members for salvation.

Many churches have a member directory. You could always ask them if they're members if in doubt. It really shouldn't be as difficult as you're assuming it is. 

• Members
3 hours ago, heartstrings said:

I was saved at an altar call in an IFB church, but I got saved before I could even get out of the pew.; 🙂

Our SB pastor has an altar call every Sunday morning too. I would suggest asking the pastor, privately, in a prayerful, respectful, non-accusatory manner. 

I believe all IFB churches do altar calls, its just a part of the service that I strongly support in English. Is this the only right way? No, The church that I left was a SBC Spanish, there are not any spanish IBC around here. There are churches that are IBC, that will let the Spanish speaking group use a room in the building. But for some reason they do not grow in numbers. The KJB Church is for the English speaking. You can have a translator from English to spanish using the KJB but there are none. I was lead to the Lord in a IBC, the only reason that I go to the SBC in Spanish, is for my wife. She prefer to go and receive and fellowship in the Spanish service. Am I wrong by not standing firm to my wife, in this area? We will go to my church, IBC in English, I am the head of the household. 

• Members
25 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I believe all IFB churches do altar calls, its just a part of the service that I strongly support in English. Is this the only right way? No, The church that I left was a SBC Spanish, there are not any spanish IBC around here. There are churches that are IBC, that will let the Spanish speaking group use a room in the building. But for some reason they do not grow in numbers. The KJB Church is for the English speaking. You can have a translator from English to spanish using the KJB but there are none. I was lead to the Lord in a IBC, the only reason that I go to the SBC in Spanish, is for my wife. She prefer to go and receive and fellowship in the Spanish service. Am I wrong by not standing firm to my wife, in this area? We will go to my church, IBC in English, I am the head of the household. 

Being Hispanic, it might be that the Lord is showing this to you so that you can establish the Hispanic services in an IFB church. I know here the only IFB churches that I can think of that have services in Spanish are Victory Baptist in Shelbyville, and Franklin Road Baptist Church in Murfreesboro. They truly are few and far between.

• Members

We have a Spanish ministry at our church (Fairview Baptist Church; Athens, TN) headed up by Pastor Carlos Mauricio. I don't know if they do altar calls as I have never attended a service (no hablo espanol). 

• Members
22 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

Do you speak Spanish as well? Does your wife speak english?

• Members
15 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Do you speak Spanish as well? Does your wife speak english?

Yes, I do speak Spanish and My wife speaks and reads better than me in Spanish and English. She has a higher education college. She speaks more Spanish than English. She was also a senior accountant when she worked, so you know who pays all the bills and take cares and manage the finances in our home. I don’t mind if she does it well. One year I got home from work and she said, our house is paid off for, other years I get home from work. She says our vehicles are paid off for. I say, excellent good job. 

• Administrators
On 5/14/2024 at 5:37 PM, TheGloryLand said:

Here in WA, there is one Spanish church that I know of that is quite strong. The pastor is from Mexico and has a real burden to reach Hispanics. He has trained and sent out a number of men to plant Spanish independent Baptist churches. I am not sure which translation they use, but since the KJV is required for members of the Baptist fellowship here, I'm assuming they use the Reina Valera 1960, which aligns with the KJV. I have a side-by side copy and love to read it, although I am not a Spanish speaker.

One day, when we have our own property, we are hoping to begin a Spanish ministry and mayhap get a Spanish church going in this area. When it is time for that, we will most definitely work with Brother Vanegas.

You are, indeed, head of your household. But as such one of your responsibilities is to ensure that your wife can grow spiritually. Don't choose your church on the basis of what makes one of you "happy." But do consider her needs for a church in her (and your) native language...for both the teaching and fellowship (which is very important, actually). Maybe move to Yakima, WA. 😃