• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Should A Christian Leave A Church Membership

The Glory Land

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A good reason would be because of false teachings.

That and the leading of the Holy Ghost would be the main reasons. Otherwise, if one is in a biblically sound church home, and the Holy Ghost has confirmed that church as your church home, a person should remain there.

It's almost a hobby or sport for many today to hop from one church to another and in the meantime to be continually shopping around for their next church "home".

Over the years since I've been saved I've attended a few different churches for a time but I've only been a member of two churches. Most of this was due to moves because of school, work or family matters.

It's important to seek and follow the lead of the Holy Ghost in this matter. It's so easy to get in a hurry to have a church home that we jump at the first thing that comes along. Sometimes we choose our church home based upon family, friends, popularity, the name over the door, location, personality of the pastor, social aspects, or a variety of other reasons that are more a matter of the flesh or world. For these same reasons, some are too quick to leave a church too.

• Members

When you do leave a church do it quietly. Don't try to set the pastor right before you go.

Not true. Don't you think the pastor would want to know WHY you are leaving? In another post (don't remember which forum) someone talked about leaving because the pastor's son had sexually molested someone in the church and it was swept under the rug. I would definitely let the pastor know why! and I would report it to the authorities if it involved a child, sooner rather than later.

• Members

Not true. Don't you think the pastor would want to know WHY you are leaving? In another post (don't remember which forum) someone talked about leaving because the pastor's son had sexually molested someone in the church and it was swept under the rug. I would definitely let the pastor know why! and I would report it to the authorities if it involved a child, sooner rather than later.

That's not what I'm talking about. Telling your pastor in a private meeting why you are leaving and dropping a bomb on the church because you got offended are two different things. That's what I'm talking about. Most Christians I know that have left a church to go to another is because the pastor wouldn't allow them to take over his church.

• Members

One pastor told me several years ago that he knew of no bibical requirement for church membership; in regards to one having his/her name on a register.

Well, do you know the verse and the principals involved?  The scriptures have plenty to say on church membership.

• Members

I think having a membership is a good way to operate any church. You do want to file a tax return, a church needs to keep up with all its members record.

Isn't that a worldly reason?  What's wrong with what the Bible teaches?

• Members

Isn't that a worldly reason? What's wrong with what the Bible teaches?

You don't have too, but churches are run like businesses today. If you want too vote, you must become a member and in some churches if you want to partake in the Lords supper.

Archived