• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Turning from sin

MikeWatson1
Go to solution Solved by Jerry,

• Members
20 hours ago, Jerry said:

Yes, on both counts. I knew a preacher who tried preaching repentance was only for the lost when they came to Christ - but I think there are just as many passages that refer to it in a believer’s life. It is a life of repentance, making choices to draw closer and closer to the Lord the longer we walk with Him. If someone ever gets to where they stop repenting, I truly think it means they have stopped growing (for that time) and are not close to the Lord. If we think we are “standing still” in our Christian lives, we are mistaken. We are starting to backslide.

No question. I still smoked after I was saved until I learned (ironically from a person I was witnessing to) that it was a bad testimony. Then I learned about our body being the temple of the Holy Spirit. Since my salvation I have have learned a lot of things that I needed to get right. Thank God for grace. Spurgeon said that we all recognize the great grace it takes to save the worst sinner, but we discount the day by day grace it takes for us to live our Christian lives. 

Titus 2:11-14 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

• Members

Wow, he just twists the words around to make the phrase mean something completely wacky. True repentance, again, is turning from sin (in your heart) to the Saviour. If you are still a rebel - guess what? Jesus is not your Saviour. We need to repent of the sins that we committed against the Lord, and choose to follow and obey the Lord instead of living in rebellion, like we did before hearing the Gospel!

• Members
36 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Wow, he just twists the words around to make the phrase mean something completely wacky. True repentance, again, is turning from sin (in your heart) to the Saviour. If you are still a rebel - guess what? Jesus is not your Saviour. We need to repent of the sins that we committed against the Lord, and choose to follow and obey the Lord instead of living in rebellion, like we did before hearing the Gospel!

Yeah.. but that can only be done AFTER conversion, right?  Obedience isn't part of conversion

• Members
1 hour ago, MikeWatson1 said:

Yeah.. but that can only be done AFTER conversion, right?  Obedience isn't part of conversion

I had to look up what obedience really means.

noun Obedience
  1. compliance with an order, request, or law or submission to another's authority.
    "children were taught to show their parents obedience"

Looks like to me, you have to be obedient to realize that we are sinners, and need to repent to our evil ways.

• Members

RIght, Glory Land!!

2 Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

All the statements in the Bible to turn to the Lord, come to Him for salvation, repent and believe, etc.ad infinitum - are all commands to be obeyed - or commands we will be judged for not obeying! 

• Members
2 hours ago, Jerry said:

RIght, Glory Land!!

2 Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

All the statements in the Bible to turn to the Lord, come to Him for salvation, repent and believe, etc.ad infinitum - are all commands to be obeyed - or commands we will be judged for not obeying! 

Okay.. ah so you aren't linking works to salvation but the command to believe in Him?

• Members
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

To repent of sins and receive the Saviour. They are commands; therefore to do them is to be obedient to the Gospel.

in what other way is someone obeying the Gospel?

No other way.  Obedience to commands is works.. but when it's obeying the call to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus.. then obviously it's all scriptural ?

• Members

The Calvinists potray nearly every facet of the salvation process as a work, usually deferring to the person being regenerated first(saved before being saved, the decision already being made for them by God im eternity past) and so in their understanding of the process the decision isn't a work. Doublespeak if you ask me, and quite unbiblical.