• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Voting in membership

Go to solution Solved by John Young,

• Members

I am wanting to join a church .

I've been attending for a couple of months now.. I want to get a membership transfer .. and be voted in..but don't know if it is going to happen. .

The senior pastor said it won't be a problem to get a transfer..but nothing has happened..

What do I do?

• Administrators

Nothing, You do not need the approval of your old church for a transfer of membership. This is not a hostage negotiation and they have no say where you transfer to. If I was your pastor I would have already had the church vote you in.

• Members
  • Solution
2 hours ago, MikeWatson1 said:

I want to get a membership transfer .. and be voted in..but don't know if it is going to happen. .

The senior pastor said it won't be a problem to get a transfer..but nothing has happened..

What do I do?

A transfer letter is simply a recommendation letter from your old church to the new church stating you were in good standing with them and that they recommend you to the new for membership. Sometimes you can't get a letter or its indefinitely delayed for whatever reason. In those cases you should simply speak with the pastor, perhaps discus any reasons the letter may not have been given and ask if you can join by your statement of like faith before the congregation. Each church has their criteria for membership. Some simply take your word of faith but others may want more. You will have to decide on your own if their requirements are worth becoming a member with them. 

• Members

Membership is not as it use to be. Some members join then quit coming to church. If the church you are attending don't  have quarterly meetings, it means nothing to be a member. You don’t vote for anything, you just go to all the church services, go to all the activities, start serving and that’s it. Now, if you’re going to work or teach, then membership from a different church, will help in my opinion. You don’t have to be a member to tithe or give offerings, just keep the records yourself.

Edited by TheGloryLand

• Members
16 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Membership is not as it use to be. Some members join then quit coming to church. If the church you are attending don't  have quarterly meetings, it means nothing to be a member. You don’t vote for anything, you just go to all the church services, go to all the activities, start serving and that’s it. Now, if you’re going to work or teach, then membership from a different church, will help in my opinion. You don’t have to be a member to tithe or give offerings, just keep the records yourself.

The church I am a member of has monthly business meetings, or at least tries to. Membership is the only way one should be able to vote in any church. But, then it should be limited to active members. 

Now as to the transfer of membership, my wife and I have had to transfer by profession of faith. Several churches we have been members of have refused people letters because they were petty, backbiting churches that couldn't keep members because of the politics of the church. That's one thing we don't abide in a church, especially when wrong doctrinal practices are brought to light, and those members who have brought it to light are being osticized by the controlling faction and pastor. Many of these churches have dwindled to nothing while others have embraced the world and grown to megachurch status.