• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Altar Call for Salvation

TheGloryLand
Go to solution Solved by Napsterdad,

• Members
1 hour ago, SureWord said:

Altar calls seem to be a relatively new thing in the history of the church. Charles Finney was one of the first to employ them.

It must be very hard to minister to a new believer, not knowing who they are. How can he or she be disciple, baptized, or presented as a new member?

• Members
23 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

It must be very hard to minister to a new believer, not knowing who they are. How can he or she be disciple, baptized, or presented as a new member?

Even with an altar call many churches still don't "minister to a new believer." They're happy just to have a name on the rolls. What would stop someone from being ministered to? Most who would come to know the Lord without an altar call usually end up letting others know that they have accepted the Lord. To think otherwise would be to be limiting the work of the HOLY SPIRIT in ones life.

• Members
52 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

I never went to an altar or hit the sawdust trail yet I still managed to get baptized and join a church. I was saved in my bathroom in front of the sink.

• Members
13 minutes ago, SureWord said:

I never went to an altar or hit the sawdust trail yet I still managed to get baptized and join a church. I was saved in my bathroom in front of the sink.

We can get Saved anywhere. It's understanding, who died for you and me. You can be sitting down, and not coming to the front or altar. But your assurance is very important. Shown to you and me, from the Bible, anywhere.

• Members
19 hours ago, TheGloryLand said:

We can get Saved anywhere. It's understanding, who died for you and me. You can be sitting down, and not coming to the front or altar. But your assurance is very important. Shown to you and me, from the Bible, anywhere.

Yes, that will come through scripture. Interestingly, though, I don't recall anyone showing me this I just assumed it from reading the bible myself.

• Members
8 minutes ago, SureWord said:

Yes, that will come through scripture. Interestingly, though, I don't recall anyone showing me this I just assumed it from reading the bible myself.

You can be saved reading the Bible yourself, but the truth is many of us needed it to be shown or preach to us. This is why their are teachers, preachers, missionaries, evangelist. It was a commandment from Jesus. A born-again believer, can share the gospel not having any title.

• Members

For those who teach the altar mentioned in Matthew 5 is not a true altar or not for the church, consider the following passage:

Hebrews 13:10-15 We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach. For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come. By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Yes, this is a spiritual altar - for the church - where we present our offerings and sacrifices to the Lord and for the brethren.

• Members
On 5/12/2023 at 11:36 PM, Jerry said:

For those who teach the altar mentioned in Matthew 5 is not a true altar or not for the church, consider the following passage:

Hebrews 13:10-15 We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp. Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate. Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing his reproach. For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one to come. By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Yes, this is a spiritual altar - for the church - where we present our offerings and sacrifices to the Lord and for the brethren.

This Baptist church pastor, see things differently?

http://www.victorybaptist.us/show.wc?msgaltarcall

• Members
53 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

This Baptist church pastor, see things differently?

http://www.victorybaptist.us/show.wc?msgaltarcall

This article is from a Calvinistic viewpoint, and most here don't subscribe to Calvin's positions.

• Members
6 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

This article is from a Calvinistic viewpoint, and most here don't subscribe to Calvin's positions.

You’re correct, but the pastor is using the Baptist Church name, website mentioned. No altar calls for salvation. Sad, I’m going trough this right now. Should I leave or stay. There is a new pastor here. Great preaching, with no altar calls for salvation. I did talk to him about it already. He has a different vision.

• Members
10 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

You’re correct, but the pastor is using the Baptist Church name, website mentioned. No altar calls for salvation. Sad, I’m going trough this right now. Should I leave or stay. There is a new pastor here. Great preaching, with no altar calls for salvation. I did talk to him about it already. He has a different vision.

It's possible he has a different belief on altar calls, but, that doesn't make him wrong. There is no scriptural directive to give such a call. It's a man-made, man-imposed choice. So, why is it "sad" that this is how the church, or at least this pastor has decided to lead? 

I would say you should stay unless the Lord leads you to leave. This is not a doctrinal or moral issue. You must decide "which hill to die on." I would hope that this wouldn't be it. 

• Members
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

It's possible he has a different belief on altar calls, but, that doesn't make him wrong. There is no scriptural directive to give such a call. It's a man-made, man-imposed choice. So, why is it "sad" that this is how the church, or at least this pastor has decided to lead? 

I would say you should stay unless the Lord leads you to leave. This is not a doctrinal or moral issue. You must decide "which hill to die on." I would hope that this wouldn't be it. 

Sad, in the way things are changing. But this is good advice, thanks. He is a good man, and sincere to open up freely with any questions. Even if they we’re the ones that I didn’t want to here. I just don’t see any discipling, any baptism, or memberships coming soon. also, I just found out they change the Lords supper to quarterly, instead of monthly. He also gave a good explanation for this. Only time will tell here. Thanks 

• Members
19 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

Sad, in the way things are changing. But this is good advice, thanks. He is a good man, and sincere to open up freely with any questions. Even if they we’re the ones that I didn’t want to here. I just don’t see any discipling, any baptism, or memberships coming soon. also, I just found out they change the Lords supper to quarterly, instead of monthly. He also gave a good explanation for this. Only time will tell here. Thanks 

Not a problem, my friend. Just remember, if it's not a doctrinal difference or deviation, it is a secondary or tertiary issue and shouldn't become a problem. I trust you won't let it become one.?

• Members
2 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Not a problem, my friend. Just remember, if it's not a doctrinal difference or deviation, it is a secondary or tertiary issue and shouldn't become a problem. I trust you won't let it become one.?

He is on probation, and need to prove himself. I’ll behave, if thing somehow get out of hand. There is a door for me, my wife doesn’t want to leave yet. This is bothering me, staying there to please her. What men have to do sometimes. Imagine a pastor arrived to your church, and said, I will do baptisms only 1 day year. This is not the case with me, but what would you do? Stay there, it is only baptisms. One day is fine?

• Members
53 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

He is on probation, and need to prove himself. I’ll behave, if thing somehow get out of hand. There is a door for me, my wife doesn’t want to leave yet. This is bothering me, staying there to please her. What men have to do sometimes. Imagine a pastor arrived to your church, and said, I will do baptisms only 1 day year. This is not the case with me, but what would you do? Stay there, it is only baptisms. One day is fine?

The problem with your scenario is that it would never be allowed to happen in any church I would be a member of. The pastor may shepherd the church, but he's not the final say. Adding supposed scenarios is not of much use. From your own statement's here and in other threads, it seems you're looking for reasons to leave when none seem to be there. I hope this is not the case.