• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why don't the Baptist Church have any Bishop

TheGloryLand

• Members
37 minutes ago, TheGloryLand said:

The Independent Baptist Church, don't have any Bishops, we have only pastors, evangelists, or we just say preacher. Now Bishop Tony, would sound pretty cool....  Have a nice weekend.

Pope Francis Papa GIF?

Whether they are called "bishop" or not, they hold the office of a bishop, or preacher if one is using the Kings English. 

• Members
27 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

Whether they are called "bishop" or not, they hold the office of a bishop, or preacher if one is using the Kings English. 

Have you attended an independent Baptist Church, that called the pastor Bishop? I have not, it’s not practice.

• Members

Whether an NT church uses the term or not, a Bishop is the same as a Pastor, and the same as an elder. All three titles refer to the same office in the NT. Pastor is a reference to shepherding and guiding the flock, elder refers to spiritual maturity, and bishop means an overseer, referring to someone watching over their flock. Churches that actually have three different offices - or even two (referring to these titles - there is a Biblical second office of a deacon) - are not following the New Testament pattern.

• Members

I remember reading how as the early churches developed, twisting of truth started coming in and one of the key things going awry was having a bishop over multiple congregations.  Along with this came infant baptism and elevation of the saints to worship as well as rituals and rites to earn salvation aka Roman Catholicism.  

But the actual title of 'bishop' in the bible applies to pastor.. same thing.  What men have done with this title though is a completely different story!

Archbishop of Canterbury.. not a biblical role.. 

The Pope.. not a biblical role.

Superintendent district minister.. with the likes of Methodism.. not a biblical role.

There is one thing though.. is with independent, autonomous real churches.. who holds the pastor accountable?  I think it is the congregation... who can contact other pastors to tell them their pastor is going off beam.. but I am not sure.

• Members
On 10/24/2022 at 2:38 PM, HappyChristian said:

We attended one where the pastor referred to himself as Bishop-Pastor. I think most stay away from it because of the connotation of overlord attitude that comes with the title thanks to the Catholic church.

I agree. I would see it as a red flag if I seen the Pastor prefers to be called "Bishop". Usually the pastors that call themselves that are some kind of Pentecostal and their wife is referred to as "Lady" so and so.