• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Matthew/John Contradiction in the KJV?

• Members

I have been asking this question on a number of forums and am getting confused trying to keep straight and understand all of the responses that I have received. I need to step back, and take the various verses from the four gospel accounts regarding Mary Magdalene?s visit/visits to the tomb an see if they can be interweaved into some chronological order that avoids any contradictory problems. I will start with Matthew 28:2 by assuming that it is referring to an activity that occurred prior to the first visit of Mary to the tomb and go on from there.

• Members

You need to start off with the assumption that the Word of God does not contradict itself - and that there is always a solution which you simply need to study to find out. If you start off with doubt, rather than an attitude of faith, you probably are not going to find the right answers.

• Members
You need to start off with the assumption that the Word of God does not contradict itself - and that there is always a solution which you simply need to study to find out. If you start off with doubt' date=' rather than an attitude of faith, you probably are not going to find the right answers.[/quote']
No, that's not necessary. One only has to give Scripture a fair chance, not a head start.

I used to like doing those Reader's Digest puzzles that had a list of factors and then you had to solve a question. something like, "john was sitting next to Mary, but Mary was not sitting next to Frank..." then it'd ask something like "In what order where they sitting?"

I took the four Gospel accounts of the events following the resurrection and treated them that way, and it does come together, but you have to give it a chance to and not assume a contradiction based on the abscence of information not even needed, or the assumption of imformation not given.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Is this a fair assessment of what is being said thus far? There appears to be a slight difference in time between Mat 28:1 and John 20:1. In John 20:1 it was yet dark while in Mat 28 it was beginning to dawn. Possibly 2 different occasions.This presents a problem of when was the stone rolled away. It appears to have already been rolled away at the earlier event while in Matt 28 it appears to be rolled away as she arrives. Key word is appears. Matt 28:2 may refer back to what has happened. Scripture although inspired and in agreement, is not always chronological.