• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Rapture and Anti-Christ

• Members
6 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Where do you find any Scripture which indicates that they don't.  

Rom 3:23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Rom 5:12  Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Ezek 18: 4 also 18: 20  the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

I would love you to find a scripture as we lost our first baby at 5 days old.

I don't find any Scripture which specifically says children who die go to any particular place.

Is there one way to heaven, through Christ, or are there other ways such as dying at a certain age, or one of the other means some put forth?

• Members
15 minutes ago, John81 said:

How do you fit this together with the account of Abraham's bosom (Luke 16)?

Where do you find any Scripture which indicates children who die at birth go to hell?

Hello John, On Children, The ones i just quoted from Job [Job 3:11-19 Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly?...For now should I have lain still and been quiet, I should have slept: then had I been at rest] seems to say that all go the same way and rest, although Job doesn't name the place or give it's location, the others from Genesis etc that all go down to 'Sheol' which is the same as 'Hades', witch is translated 'Hell', which is down below, on the other hand the Lazarus in Luke's Gospel was suffering in Hades, thus there were some resting comfortably and others suffering, thus the theory that there is at least two parts to Hades, one for the wicked and one for the saints. Abraham's Bosom is sometimes equated; by scholars; with the good part of Hades. there is a verse in the psalms which would equate the belly of the earth with the womb. Psalm 139. but maybe the belly of the earth (physical) in this context is one in the same as inside the heart of all men/women. We know that Abraham was in the bosom of His Father Levi when he paid a tithe to Melchizedek, Heb. this was before he was born, yet David in Psalm 139 says he was wrought in the belly of the earth Ps 139:15 ...I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.' So is 'Hades' really in the belly of man or woman or the earth? would it matter which? only perhaps in that to be brought forth from the grave might more easily mean to be born a natural birth, some to life and some to destruction. This might shed some light on why Jesus said, Mt 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

Rather than being like Abraham's who had the spirits of the righteous in his bosom. (far out, yes I'm sure heaven will be unusual for us :)

• Members
21 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Revelation 20

12  And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 

14  And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Hello No Nicolatians, I agree with scripture, I believe I (we) have been raised as mentioned in v12 and so the second death wont harm us. There is a lot happening and most of it is in the spiritual realm so hard to pin down for us.

• Members
1 hour ago, John81 said:
34 minutes ago, Invicta said:
36 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Rom 5:12  Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Invicta, sorry to hear that, that must be tough. Scripture teaches that faith in Christ is the only way to the father, but I think there is a justifiable gut feeling or knowing that a righteous God does not create life in order to punish it with eternal fire for no reason nor any purpose, that is perhaps the main reason that I believe a better understanding of the scriptures on the topic of Hell will give a better clearer image of God to believe in and to present, (I know God is to be feared, I just need to watch the latest war on TV to be reminded) and will help make straight paths for the lost to approach God, and it might help us also. I believe if a child is born and dies before hearing the Gospel then that soul will be still under the old covenant and will go to Sheol to rest, I don't think that it was a date on the calendar which made the old covenant world principles give way to the New Covenant life, nor do I think that it happens in a location, but rather I believe as the gospel is preached the old Covenant life is disqualified in the hearer and they either go on to destruction or enter into life everlasting. and I also think that everyone (apart from Christians) will be rewarded in equity, even those in hell, Perhaps in this gospel age God brings forth all the departed spirits via natural birth at such a time that they can hear the gospel and then they will be saved or lost. Show me a scripture which proves me wrong and I will accept it.

• Members
7 hours ago, Old-Pilgrim said:

I believe if a child is born and dies before hearing the Gospel then that soul will be still under the old covenant and will go to Sheol  to rest,

Sheol is a Greek word.  There may be many references to Sheol in Greek literature, but I have only found one and that is in Herodotus. He mentions a certain king who went to Sheol and played a game with the devil then returned.  Absolute nonsense of course but I think it shows how at least one Greek understood the word.  JWs consider it to be just the grave, I don't think they believe in Hell.

• Members
14 hours ago, Old-Pilgrim said:

Invicta, sorry to hear that, that must be tough. Scripture teaches that faith in Christ is the only way to the father, but I think there is a justifiable gut feeling or knowing that a righteous God does not create life in order to punish it with eternal fire for no reason nor any purpose, that is perhaps the main reason that I believe a better understanding of the scriptures on the topic of Hell will give a better clearer image of God to believe in and to present, (I know God is to be feared, I just need to watch the latest war on TV to be reminded) and will help make straight paths for the lost to approach God, and it might help us also. I believe if a child is born and dies before hearing the Gospel then that soul will be still under the old covenant and will go to Sheol to rest, I don't think that it was a date on the calendar which made the old covenant world principles give way to the New Covenant life, nor do I think that it happens in a location, but rather I believe as the gospel is preached the old Covenant life is disqualified in the hearer and they either go on to destruction or enter into life everlasting. and I also think that everyone (apart from Christians) will be rewarded in equity, even those in hell, Perhaps in this gospel age God brings forth all the departed spirits via natural birth at such a time that they can hear the gospel and then they will be saved or lost. Show me a scripture which proves me wrong and I will accept it.

Scripture says we are born in sin. There are none righteous, not even one. Scripture also tells us there is one way of salvation, by grace through faith in Christ. We are also told today is the day of salvation. After death comes judgment.

Where does the idea children are innocent (which would mean sin free) come from? Where does Scripture indicate anyone, children or otherwise, will be given a special after-death opportunity to be saved?

What do you do with the verses speaking of hell, or lake of fire which hell will be cast into, being eternal? Being of burning fire? Where the worm doesn't die?

"...than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." Mark 9:43:44

• Members
17 hours ago, John81 said:

I don't find any Scripture which specifically says children who die go to any particular place.

Is there one way to heaven, through Christ, or are there other ways such as dying at a certain age, or one of the other means some put forth?

I wrote this for Wretched about three years ago:

Ezekiel 16:21 - “That thou hast slain my children, and delivered them to cause them to pass through the fire for them?” “my children”

Jeremiah 19:4 - “Because they have forsaken me, and have estranged this place, and have burned incense in it unto other gods, whom neither they nor their fathers have known, nor the kings of Judah, and have filled this place with the blood of innocents;” “babies murdered are innocents”

Deut 1:39 - “Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it.” no knowledge of good and evil

Jonah 4:11 - “And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?” cannot discern between right and wrong

2 Samuel 12:23 - “But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.”

Remember also that when the rapture occurs, all the children alive at that time will ascend to heaven as well, children before the age of accountability are innocent and under grace.  What is the age of accountability?  i think there is no age but that it occurs when one learns the difference between right and wrong.

• Members
9 hours ago, Invicta said:

Sheol is a Greek word.  There may be many references to Sheol in Greek literature, but I have only found one and that is in Herodotus. He mentions a certain king who went to Sheol and played a game with the devil then returned.  Absolute nonsense of course but I think it shows how at least one Greek understood the word.  JWs consider it to be just the grave, I don't think they believe in Hell.

I have never read any of the Greek myths, I have only read that the ancient Greeks had their own view of Hades, one with two compartments, In our times we have thinks like Peter Pan and the lost boys, who were banished to hades. When you say 'Sheol is a Greek word', do you mean it is a Greek spelling or transliteration of the Hebrew word? As I understand it 'Sheol' is from Hebrew and 'Hades' is the Greek equivalent and 'Hell' is from Teutonic and was brought into the English at least as early as Wycliffe's Translation (1388).

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
7585. sh@'owl
Search for H7585 in KJVSL lwav sh@'owl sheh-ole'
or shol {sheh-ole'}; from 7592; Hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates:--grave, hell, pit.
See Hebrew 7592

I think that is correct about the JW's I think they are just telling people what they want to hear.

Don't the reformed church believe that sheol is just the Grave and so translate the word as 'the Grave'? I thought 'the Grave' was just another way of saying 'the underworld' but i think they actually believe that it is simply six feet under the soil. I don't see how this could possibly be correct.

I have read a quote from, if I recall right, something called the Chronicles of Eshter, where she was mocking humans because they drink mud and eat dust, and there was a reference to a large lock on the doors which were thick with dust because they had never been opened.

It is possible that fallen Angels might remember the heavens and know a bit about the lower earthly regions, so they might pass some info on to practitioners of the occult in order to deceive them. If there was a dusty old lock in any realm at all, we know now the dust will be thoroughly disturbed since Christ broke out from the inside and also has the keys.

Our only reliable source of knowledge is the Bible. The first Bible Study I ever did was on the subject of hell, it consisted of finding and writing down (with pen and paper) every reference of hell I could find and then trying to understand them all. I noticed it wasn't so easy to pin down as one might expect, I can live with the fact that I don't understand all the Scriptures but I am not going to knowingly go against scripture.

• Members
4 hours ago, Old-Pilgrim said:

Don't the reformed church believe that sheol is just the Grave and so translate the word as 'the Grave'? I thought 'the Grave' was just another way of saying 'the underworld' but i think they actually believe that it is simply six feet under the soil. I don't see how this could possibly be correct.

Not that I know of.  You could read for yourself.  A side by side view of the 1646 Westminster confession of faith (Presbyterian) and the 1689 London confession (Baptist)  These were based on the earlier 1644 LBCF revised in 1646.

A tabular view of the WCF and the LBCF.   Of the State of Man After Death and of the Resurrection of the Dead  Chapter XXXII of the WCF and XXXI f the LBCF  http://www.proginosko.com/docs/wcf_lbcf.html#WCF7

A

• Members
21 hours ago, Invicta said:

Not that I know of.  You could read for yourself.  A side by side view of the 1646 Westminster confession of faith (Presbyterian) and the 1689 London confession (Baptist)  These were based on the earlier 1644 LBCF revised in 1646.

A tabular view of the WCF and the LBCF.   Of the State of Man After Death and of the Resurrection of the Dead  Chapter XXXII of the WCF and XXXI f the LBCF  http://www.proginosko.com/docs/wcf_lbcf.html#WCF7

A

Thanks for that Resource, I'll have a look at it and get back to you.

• Members

hello Invicta,

WCF — Chapter XXXII: Of the State of Man After Death and of the Resurrection of the Dead     LBCF — Chapter XXXI: Of the State of Man after Death and of the Resurrection of the Dead

1.  The bodies of men, after death, return to dust, and see corruption; but their souls (which neither die nor sleep), having an immortal subsistence, immediately return to God who gave them. The souls of the righteous, being then made perfect in holiness, are received into the highest heavens, where they behold the face of God in light and glory, waiting for the full redemption of their bodies; and the souls of the wicked are cast into hell, where they remain in torments and utter darkness, reserved to the judgement of the great day. Besides these two places for souls separated from their bodies, the Scripture acknowledgeth none.

‘The souls of the righteous, being then made perfect in holiness, are received into the highest heavens
‘the souls of the wicked are cast into hell

I grant it that this is a difficult topic, but I think what ever the truth of matter is that this cannot be right, I will attempt to show why I come to this conclusion. I was told once that when Jesus spent three days in the belly of the earth, it simply meant that his body was in the tomb.

Ge 37:35 And all his sons <ben> and all his daughters <bath> rose up <quwm> to comfort <nacham> him; but he refused <ma'en> to be comforted <nacham>; and he said <'amar>, For I will go down <yarad> into the grave <sh@'owl> unto my son <ben> mourning <'abel>. Thus his father <'ab> wept <bakah> for him.
Ps 9:17 The wicked <rasha`> shall be turned <shuwb> into hell <sh@'owl>, and all the nations <gowy> that forget <shakeach> God <'elohiym>.
Ge 42:38 And he said <'amar>, My son <ben> shall not go down <yarad> with you; for his brother <'ach> is dead <muwth>, and he is left <sha'ar> alone: if mischief <'acown> befall <qara'> him by the way <derek> in the which ye go <yalak>, then shall ye bring down <yarad> my gray hairs <seybah> with sorrow <yagown> to the grave <sh@'owl>.
Pr 9:18 But he knoweth <yada`> not that the dead <rapha'> are there; and that her guests <qara'> are in the depths <`ameq> of hell <sh@'owl>.
Ge 44:29 And if ye take <laqach> this also from <`im> me <paniym>, and mischief <'acown> befall him <qarah>, ye shall bring down <yarad> my gray hairs <seybah> with sorrow <ra`> to the grave <sh@'owl>.
1Ki 2:6 Do <`asah> therefore according to thy wisdom <chokmah>, and let not his hoar head <seybah> go down <yarad> to the grave <sh@'owl> in peace <shalowm>.

When the Old testament Saints are said to go down to ‘sheol’ it is usualy translated as ‘the grave’ but when the wicked are being brought down to ‘sheol’ then it is usualy translated as ‘hell’, So the translators make the Bible read that the wicked go down to hell, but the saints go down to ‘the grave’

Here is a reference to what in English is called the grave;

2Sa 3:32 And they buried Abner in Hebron: and the king lifted up his voice, and wept at **the grave** of Abner; and all the people wept.

** Strong's Hebrew Dictionary

6913. qeber
Search for H6913 in KJVSL
rbq qeber keh'-ber
or (feminine) qibrah {kib-raw'}; from 6912; a sepulchre:--burying place, grave, sepulchre.

The following passage show that 'Hades' is the same place as 'shol'

Ac 2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
Ac 2:26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:
Ac 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in *hell*, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

And Lu 16:23 And in *hell* he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Some are tormented in 'the grave'.

**Strong's Greek Dictionary
86. hades
Search for G86 in KJVSL AdhV hades hah'-dace

from 1 (as negative particle) and 1492; properly, unseen, i.e. "Hades" or the place (state) of departed souls:--grave, hell.

So 'shol' is not ‘the grave’, but ‘qeber’ is ‘the grave’.

The following is every scripture (According to Sword Searcher) where the Hebrew word ‘shol’ is used. It is either translated as ‘the pit’ ‘the grave’ or ‘hell’

There are other scriptures which talk about the place of the souls of the departed which Don’t use the word ‘Shol’ Such as the one of Samuel when he is called up by the woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor, and the one in Job where he reckoned that he would have been better off if he would have died at birth. 1Sa 28:15 Job 3:12-19

Ge 37:35 And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.

Ge 42:38 And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in the which ye go, then shall ye bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave.

Ge 44:29 And if ye take this also from me, and mischief befall him, ye shall bring down my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave.

Ge 44:31 It shall come to pass, when he seeth that the lad is not with us, that he will die: and thy servants shall bring down the gray hairs of thy servant our father with sorrow to the grave.

Nu 16:30 But if the LORD make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit; then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the LORD.

Nu 16:33 They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation.

De 32:22 For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

1Sa 2:6 The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up.

2Sa 22:6 The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;

1Ki 2:6 Do therefore according to thy wisdom, and let not his hoar head go down to the grave in peace.

1Ki 2:9 Now therefore hold him not guiltless: for thou art a wise man, and knowest what thou oughtest to do unto him; but his hoar head bring thou down to the grave with blood.

Job 7:9 As the cloud is consumed and vanisheth away: so he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no more.

Job 11:8 It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?

Job 14:13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

Job 17:13 If I wait, the grave is mine house: I have made my bed in the darkness.

Job 17:16 They shall go down to the bars of the pit, when our rest together is in the dust.

Job 21:13 They spend their days in wealth, and in a moment go down to the grave.

Job 24:19 Drought and heat consume the snow waters: so doth the grave those which have sinned.

Job 26:6 Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.

Ps 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Ps 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Ps 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Ps 18:5 The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

Ps 30:3 O LORD, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.

Ps 31:17 Let me not be ashamed, O LORD; for I have called upon thee: let the wicked be ashamed, and let them be silent in the grave.

Ps 49:14 Like sheep they are laid in the grave; death shall feed on them; and the upright shall have dominion over them in the morning; and their beauty shall consume in the grave from their dwelling.

Ps 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Ps 55:15 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.

Ps 86:13 For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

Ps 88:3 For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth nigh unto the grave.

Ps 89:48 What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.

Ps 116:3 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

Ps 139:8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Ps 141:7 Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth, as when one cutteth and cleaveth wood upon the earth.

Pr 1:12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:

Pr 5:5 Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.

Pr 7:27 Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Pr 9:18 But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.

Pr 15:11 Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?

Pr 15:24 The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.

Pr 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Pr 27:20 Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

Pr 30:16 The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.

Ec 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Song 8:6 Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.

Isa 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Isa 14:9 Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

Isa 14:11 Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.

Isa 14:15 Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit.

Isa 28:15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:

Isa 28:18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

Isa 38:10 I said in the cutting off of my days, I shall go to the gates of the grave: I am deprived of the residue of my years.

Isa 38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.

Isa 57:9 And thou wentest to the king with ointment, and didst increase thy perfumes, and didst send thy messengers far off, and didst debase thyself even unto hell.

Eze 31:15 Thus saith the Lord GOD; In the day when he went down to the grave I caused a mourning: I covered the deep for him, and I restrained the floods thereof, and the great waters were stayed: and I caused Lebanon to mourn for him, and all the trees of the field fainted for him.

Eze 31:16 I made the nations to shake at the sound of his fall, when I cast him down to hell with them that descend into the pit: and all the trees of Eden, the choice and best of Lebanon, all that drink water, shall be comforted in the nether parts of the earth.

Eze 31:17 They also went down into hell with him unto them that be slain with the sword; and they that were his arm, that dwelt under his shadow in the midst of the heathen.

Eze 32:21 The strong among the mighty shall speak to him out of the midst of hell with them that help him: they are gone down, they lie uncircumcised, slain by the sword.

Eze 32:27 And they shall not lie with the mighty that are fallen of the uncircumcised, which are gone down to hell with their weapons of war: and they have laid their swords under their heads, but their iniquities shall be upon their bones, though they were the terror of the mighty in the land of the living.

Ho 13:14 I will ransom them from the power of the grave; I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave, I will be thy destruction: repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

Am 9:2 Though they dig into hell, thence shall mine hand take them; though they climb up to heaven, thence will I bring them down:

Jon 2:2 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Hab 2:5 Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people:

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members
On 3/12/2016 at 2:01 PM, John81 said:

Where does Scripture indicate all children will be raptured along with the saints?

Does the age of accountability begin around age one? Children around that age know some matters of right and wrong.

Come on John, you know it doesn't have a verse.  However, Matthew 13 and 14 and Romans 1 shed some light on God's mercy towards children.  

Like I said, I do not pretend to know when God considers a child accountable for their actions.  I read somewhere that Jewish tradition was around 12 but doubt it's bible.