• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The King James Only Controversy by James White

AdamL

• Members

I know this is an older book and may have been discussed here before.  I am reading it now for the first time.  I am not finished with it yet but will be soon.  Many may wonder why a person who believes firmly in the superiority of the KJV would choose to read a book like this.  I like to look at both sides of the coin.  I find it very difficult to speak to someone intelligently if you do not have some knowledge of their position.

The author of the Book claims he believes the KJV to be a fine and trustworthy translation but then bashes it and shows how it and the TR are filled with errors.  He then shows obvious bias towards the NIV and Vaticanus and Sinaiticus as being the best.

He claims that all the verses not appearing in the "best" versions and manuscripts are actually additions to the text by scribes that were over zealous or simply in error.  So he claims the KJV to actually be in error by adding to the text and that the others are what was in the originals.

Wondering if anyone has anything else to share on the matter, or if anyone has read the book.  Does anyone know of any authors that have addressed and refutated what Mr. White writes in his book?

• Members
3 hours ago, AdamL said:

I know this is an older book and may have been discussed here before.  I am reading it now for the first time.  I am not finished with it yet but will be soon.  Many may wonder why a person who believes firmly in the superiority of the KJV would choose to read a book like this.  I like to look at both sides of the coin.  I find it very difficult to speak to someone intelligently if you do not have some knowledge of their position.

The author of the Book claims he believes the KJV to be a fine and trustworthy translation but then bashes it and shows how it and the TR are filled with errors.  He then shows obvious bias towards the NIV and Vaticanus and Sinaiticus as being the best.

He claims that all the verses not appearing in the "best" versions and manuscripts are actually additions to the text by scribes that were over zealous or simply in error.  So he claims the KJV to actually be in error by adding to the text and that the others are what was in the originals.

Wondering if anyone has anything else to share on the matter, or if anyone has read the book.  Does anyone know of any authors that have addressed and refutated what Mr. White writes in his book?

I've read it twice, and frankly, I find it to have little intellectual rigour.

Other "Anti-KJVO's" have IMO far better arguments than White does.  The main problem I have with it is that he never demonstrates his fundamental Thesis, namely, the one where he insists that the scribes "added" through over-zealousness motivated by piety.

Practically half of the book's arguments stem from that one assertion, and he never proves it, or even gives any major reason why anyone should believe it.  It's a bald assertion that he simply allows to hover over the book which he never supports with evidence.  White is a popular writer, especially for the reformed crowd and he's plenty intelligent, I think he probably could have done much better but this book is rather weak IMO.

Edited by Heir of Salvation

• Members

You are right.  He never proves that or shows any evidence of scribal error he just keeps saying it over and over again.  Another thing he would say is that it was obvious something was added because it didn't make sense being there, but it just seemed like it was his opinion.

I find it extremely hard to believe that with the great amount of work put in by the KJV translators they would be able to tell an "obvious" addition that is so clear to Mr. White.  

Also as much as he says the KJV is a fine translation he has no qualms about pointing out is "errors" over and over. He constantly shows that the NIV is "far superior".  There is only one instance where he prefers the KJV reading over the modern versions and that is at 1 Tim 3:16.  Although he says the modern versions here are not in error.  He just prefers the KJV.  But he gives absolutely no other readings where the KJV would  be " superior" or errors in the modern versions.  

In my opinion he starts with a very similar premise that he claims KJV folks do.  He says Modern Versions are superior to KJV and then spends the whole book trying to "prove" it.  The book is not balanced at all.

• Members

When you think about it though, White's approach to the KJV is not much different than from some in this forum. Don't like an English word used in the KJV than go to the Greek (aka Textus Receptus) to find the "deeper meaning behind the word". It's the same tactic that inevitably leads to correcting the English text. .

• Moderators
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, Critical Mass said:

When you think about it though, White's approach to the KJV is not much different than from some in this forum. Don't like an English word used in the KJV than go to the Greek (aka Textus Receptus) to find the "deeper meaning behind the word". It's the same tactic that inevitably leads to correcting the English text. .

While some do, indeed, seek to change a text's meaning by going to the 'Greek', often it is done because words in English have changed. I have had times when the English didn't seem to make sense in its straight reading, but in seeking the meaning of the word (in English), in times past, closer to the translating of the KJV,  it DOES, indeed, give a deeper (wider?) meaning to some words, and clarifies it when it made no sense before. This has been mentioned in other posts, as well. For instance, 'wine', in 1828, had a primary meaning of unfermented juice, and a secondary meaning of fermented juice, while today, it just refers to fermented. Many words in the KJV have changed meanings so much, particularly in common use, that to seek the meaning of those words in the past is often to completely MISS why it is there.