• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

Ezekiel 14

"For thus saith the Lord GOD; How much more when I send my four sore judgments upon Jerusalem, the sword, and the famine, and the noisome beast, and the pestilence, to cut off from it man and beast?"

I looked "noisome beast" up in JFB, ISBE, and Blue Letter Bible. So far it comes down to the following...

Strongs from the BLB

JFB refers to Lev. 26:22.

ISBE

So, what might these "noisome beasts" be; serpents, carnivorous mammals, ???

Anyone ever study this?

• Members

In the context, the noisome beasts pass through the land and spoil IT (vs 15) - the land.
I think we can count out snakes and carnivorous animals, as they would tend to be a threat to animals and people, not so much the land.
A plague of sheep might do it.
They eat right down to the roots and leave a pasture barren if there are enough and they are left to themselves.
The great numbers might explain why no man can pass through maybe, or if they are wild sheep they can be mean and protective. Sheep "on a mission" can be dangerous. "RAMMING SPEED" ;)
Or it could be that they so desolate such a large tract of land that it is barren and lifeless to the point that men can not easily cross it......

But these animals - whatever they are - damage the land "so that it be desolate, that no man may pass through because of the beasts:"

I think some kind of herding animal in huge numbers fits the bill ok.

But that is speculation only.

• Members

I always thought lions and bears, but the thought of it being snakes is terrifying. 

(I wonder if that could tie into Revelation 6:8)

Some study helps I've looked at give reference to the Rev. 6:8 passage. I don't know if I could cross-ref Eze. 14.15/21 or not. May not be an answer this side of glory.

• Members

In the context, the noisome beasts pass through the land and spoil IT (vs 15) - the land.
I think we can count out snakes and carnivorous animals, as they would tend to be a threat to animals and people, not so much the land.
They eat right down to the roots and leave a pasture barren if there are enough and they are left to themselves.
The great numbers might explain why no man can pass through maybe, or if they are wild sheep they can be mean and protective. Sheep "on a mission" can be dangerous. "RAMMING SPEED" ;)
Or it could be that they so desolate such a large tract of land that it is barren and lifeless to the point that men can not easily cross it......

But these animals - whatever they are - damage the land "so that it be desolate, that no man may pass through because of the beasts:"

I think some kind of herding animal in huge numbers fits the bill ok.

But that is speculation only.

Well...many study helps use "evil"; does the following from BLB/Strongs fit sheep?

NOISOME

adj

bad, evil

bad, disagreeable, malignant

bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery)

evil, displeasing

bad (of its kind - land, water, etc)

bad (of value)

worse than, worst (comparison)

sad, unhappy

evil (hurtful)

bad, unkind (vicious in disposition)

bad, evil, wicked (ethically)

in general, of persons, of thoughts

deeds, actions

n m

evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity

evil, distress, adversity

evil, injury, wrong

evil (ethical)

n f

evil, misery, distress, injury

evil, misery, distress

evil, injury, wrong

evil (ethical)

BEAST
adj

living, alive

green (of vegetation)

flowing, fresh (of water)

lively, active (of man)

reviving (of the springtime)

n m

relatives

life (abstract emphatic)

life

sustenance, maintenance

n f

living thing, animal

animal

life

appetite

revival, renewal

community 
Some of the above might fit sheep but it could fit some of my relatives too...just saying :)

• Members

Just focusing on the point that they make the land desolate - this seems to be the main destructive attribute.
But personally, the sheep that charged me while I was on my honeymoon was DEFINITELY evil.......

:lol:

• Moderators

LOL! You wouldn't happen to be a cattle man, would you? :lol:

• Members

Sounds like he might be one of them there Wyoming or Montana land barons who fought so hard against fences put up by the dirt farmers and them stinky sheep men. :boxing::hide:

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Just focusing on the point that they make the land desolate - this seems to be the main destructive attribute.
But personally, the sheep that charged me while I was on my honeymoon was DEFINITELY evil.......

:lol:

My newly wedded wife & I were camping on a farm, when a herd of cows ambled across the field one putting her head into our tent. 

• Members

We can link Eze. 14:19-23 to Rev. 6:8 as prophecy of the AD 70 destruction, & the prior deliverance of the believers from the city - note Rev. 7:1-3 where the 4 winds are restrained until the servants of God are sealed. 

Noisome beasts include locusts - see Joel, & Rev. 9:1-4

• Members

My next question would have been could the noisome beast be an insect. I know when locusts are working by the millions they make an awful noise. 

" Ezekiel 14:15   If I cause noisome beasts to pass through the land, and they spoil it, so that it be desolate, that no man may pass through because of the beasts: 

Ezekiel 14:16   Though these three men were in it, as I live, saith the Lord GOD, they shall deliver neither sons nor daughters; they only shall be delivered, but the land shall be desolate."

DaveW has a point about the sheep but, I know man can pass through after sheep; I also know after locusts that a man may pass through. Some of the study helps alluded to lions but, I've never seen lions cause the land to become desolate.

The phrase which catches my interest now is " they shall deliver neither sons nor daughters;" and it makes me wonder if this might be used in a prophetic sense and these "noisome beasts" are men. Anyone want to help sway me from this line is welcome because I'm very willing to hear other thoughts.

• Members

Interesting how Covenanter finds new and creative ways of linking anything prophetic to his unscriptural preterist views.

Moving on...

I would have to think that since it says that no man may pass through it, these beasts would have to be more than sheep or cattle or lions.  It could possibly be the beasts of Rev. 6:8, but I am thinking it is more in line with Rev. 9:1-11.

However, it may not be a reference to this at all, since it appears on the surface to be a hypothetical - "IF" - The Lord is saying that no matter how bad a scenario could be dreamed up, no amount of intercessory prayer from some of the greatest OT saints would deliver Israel as a whole.  The men he lists - Noah, Daniel, and JOB were only able to deliver themselves, with Noah also delivering his family.  But Noah's kids were old enough to make their own decisions.  Lot's children did not follow him.  That is the point of the passage.  Whether or not it relates to a future prophecy is speculative, but could tie in with the locusts of Joel, or possibly Rev. 6 or 9.

• Members

No - I am a city boy.
But I do know for instance that cattle take the top off the grass, while sheep rip the whole lot out.
But there are other herding animals that by weight of numbers can cause destruction - or by stampede can cause destruction of the land.
Given enough numbers a huge tract of land could be devastated.

But it could also be an insect plague - same result.

• Members

Interesting how Covenanter finds new and creative ways of linking anything prophetic to his unscriptural preterist views.

Moving on...

I would have to think that since it says that no man may pass through it, these beasts would have to be more than sheep or cattle or lions.  It could possibly be the beasts of Rev. 6:8, but I am thinking it is more in line with Rev. 9:1-11.

However, it may not be a reference to this at all, since it appears on the surface to be a hypothetical - "IF" - The Lord is saying that no matter how bad a scenario could be dreamed up, no amount of intercessory prayer from some of the greatest OT saints would deliver Israel as a whole.  The men he lists - Noah, Daniel, and JOB were only able to deliver themselves, with Noah also delivering his family.  But Noah's kids were old enough to make their own decisions.  Lot's children did not follow him.  That is the point of the passage.  Whether or not it relates to a future prophecy is speculative, but could tie in with the locusts of Joel, or possibly Rev. 6 or 9.

I just considered the insect possibility; which, I had to reject along with the others I mentioned because they would not desolate preventing men from passing. Whatever, "noisome beast" is I do believe it has to have some supernatural ability to fill all the description. So, maybe something like Rev. 6 and or 9.

I'm still leaning toward the "noisome beasts" being men. I presented it to my pastor this evening and will send him a personal note/reminder about the question. His initial comment was, men are described as beasts in scripture too. But, then why would God tell Ezekiel he was sending the "sword" as well as "noisome beasts"?

It's not a question of Gospel import but, part of a personal study. I'm continuing to seek how God interacts with His people, their cities, and their nations if they have apostatized...  "Revelation 2:4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love." The study is based also on God's word that, Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of JacOB are not consumed. WITH James 1:17   Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

In particular, I’m attempting to see how God might continue to deal with His people, cities, and nations who refuse to follow: 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

So, what the “noisome beast” might be is only a part of what I’m studying attempting to solve as a personal study.

If anyone has time to take a further dive in on the "noisome beast" I would still be interested.

• Moderators

Actually grazing animals tend to make the land healthier. I have sheep and have never seen them eat down to the ground and destroy the grass, unless they are confined to a small area. Besides, I suspect sheep would not keep people from being able to pass through the land-they aren't exactly fearsome, save for some of the rams.

I suspect something else. One of the things the Lord often used as judgment was locusts-a swarm is quite noiseome, and they definitely will decimate a place, and generally, people don't go wandering into a swarm of them-a massive swarm of locusts would do the trick, I think.

Archived