• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

God Created Coffee Soooo Good!

John81

• Members

Does Caffeine in Coffee Perk Up Heart Health?

Researchers still aren't sure, but suspect it might improve function of small blood vessels

WEDNESDAY, Nov. 20, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- Coffee seems to offer a mysterious benefit to heart health -- one that doctors have been at pains to explain.

Now, a small, new study from Japan suggests that the caffeine in a cup of coffee might help your small blood vessels work better, which could ease strain on the heart.

A cup of caffeinated coffee caused a 30 percent increase in blood flow through the small vessels of people's fingertips, compared with a cup of decaf, according to the research, which is scheduled for presentation Wednesday at the American Heart Association's annual meeting in Dallas.

These microvessels regulate the ease with which blood flows through the circulatory system and the body's tissues, said lead researcher Dr. Masato Tsutsui, a cardiologist and professor in the pharmacology department at the University of the Ryukyus, in Okinawa.

Previous studies have shown an association between coffee drinking and lower risk of heart attack, heart disease and stroke, said Dr. Gordon Tomaselli, chief of cardiology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Researchers found that high doses of caffeine may improve the function of larger arteries.

But scientists have not been able to figure out why this is, given that coffee also can increase blood pressure. High blood pressure can damage arteries.

"This is an intriguing observation that may help us understand why consumption of coffee may be beneficial," said Tomaselli, former president of the American Heart Association.

The study involved 27 healthy adults, aged 22 to 30, who did not regularly drink coffee. They were asked to drink a 5-ounce cup of either caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee. Researchers then measured their finger blood flow using a noninvasive laser technique for gauging blood circulation.

Two days later, the experiment was repeated with the other type of coffee. Neither the researchers nor the participants knew when they were drinking caffeinated coffee.

The researchers found that blood flow in the small blood vessels improved by nearly one-third among the people who drank caffeinated coffee. The effect continued in those people over a 75-minute period.

Heart rate levels remained the same between the two groups, although caffeinated coffee slightly raised blood pressure.

The improved blood flow is likely because of improved function of the inner lining of the blood vessels, Tsutsui said. Researchers have linked the function of the lining of blood vessels -- also known as endothelial function -- to future heart attacks, heart disease and strokes.

By opening blood vessels and reducing harmful inflammation, caffeine may create favorable conditions for good heart health, he said.

But how much coffee is too much? Tsutsui pointed to a landmark U.S. National Institutes of Health study that showed that, overall, drinking six or more cups of coffee a day reduced men's risk of early death by 10 percent and women's risk by 15 percent.

That study, published last year in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that risk of heart disease and stroke either remained low or went even lower as people drank more coffee during the day.

The new study was co-sponsored by the All Japan Coffee Association, which might raise some healthy skepticism were it not for the large body of evidence that already shows coffee's heart health benefits, Tomaselli said.

That said, the study's small sample size does not conclusively explain why coffee is so good for the heart. "I don't think this answers any questions for us," Tomaselli said.

Data and conclusions presented at meetings typically are considered preliminary until published in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

http://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20131120/does-caffeine-in-coffee-perk-up-heart-health?ecd=wnl_chl_112613&ctr=wnl-chl-112613_promo_3&mb=

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

WebMD also says that red wine may have benefits. http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/ss/slideshow-foods-to-save-your-heart

Yes, they are talking about the anti-oxidants that come from the grapes.  What most people don't realize is that it is not the alcoholic content that is good for you - that can cause cirrhosis of the liver and deterioration of the brain...who would want to have the benefits of the anti-oxidants from the grapes in order to live longer with brain problems.  :nuts:

Anyhow, it is a truth that grapes are good for us.  If someone wants the benefits, they can save their liver and their brain and drink plain old grape juice. Interestingly enough, I know of doctors who prescribe grape juice for stomach issues (Paul:Timothy). But not wine, because the alcohol in it can tear up the stomach.

I've heard that some caffeine is good for the heart. Too much for me and it causes palpitations that I don't want to have!  Caffeine is also good for someone who has migraines, if they don't already drink caffeine on a regular basis. It opens the blood vessels that get pinched and cause migraines.  It's also good for people with mild asthma, as long as they don't drink caffeine a lot already.

• Members

Yes, they are talking about the anti-oxidants that come from the grapes.  What most people don't realize is that it is not the alcoholic content that is good for you - that can cause cirrhosis of the liver and deterioration of the brain...who would want to have the benefits of the anti-oxidants from the grapes in order to live longer with brain problems.  :nuts:

Anyhow, it is a truth that grapes are good for us.  If someone wants the benefits, they can save their liver and their brain and drink plain old grape juice. Interestingly enough, I know of doctors who prescribe grape juice for stomach issues (Paul:Timothy). But not wine, because the alcohol in it can tear up the stomach.

I've heard that some caffeine is good for the heart. Too much for me and it causes palpitations that I don't want to have!  Caffeine is also good for someone who has migraines, if they don't already drink caffeine on a regular basis. It opens the blood vessels that get pinched and cause migraines.  It's also good for people with mild asthma, as long as they don't drink caffeine a lot already.

Perhaps this is a more appropriate link:  http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/health-benefits-wine

From the article:   "Actually, drinking any kind of alcoholic beverage helped, the scientists found. But by far the biggest benefit accrued to wine drinkers. "

• Administrators

Perhaps this is a more appropriate link:  http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/health-benefits-wine

From the article:   "Actually, drinking any kind of alcoholic beverage helped, the scientists found. But by far the biggest benefit accrued to wine drinkers. "

Well, if people want to drink alcohol thinking it will benefit them, that's up to them.  Personally, I'll stick with grape juice if I want the benefit of grapes.  And I'll avoid cirrhosis, brain damage, and a whole host of other stuff.  It's amazing to me that a medical website (and even doctors) would promote alcohol for any reason.  It's funny. On the one hand they say it's good for you, on the other they try to claim it's a disease.  Hmmmm.....

• Members

Great thread!  My doctor told me, years ago, that caffeine is good for allergies.  Joe and I both have allergies.  Mine aren't that bad.  He has to take allergy medication for his.  He doesn't drink hardly any coffee at all.  At the most, I have two cups of coffee, in the morning.  My allergies are under control. 

Part of the article said:

"But how much coffee is too much? Tsutsui pointed to a landmark U.S. National Institutes of Health study that showed that, overall, drinking six or more cups of coffee a day reduced men's risk of early death by 10 percent and women's risk by 15 percent."

6 cups seems kind of extreme to me.  I would think that people would be flying high on 6 cups.  LOL

I agree with you HC.  Grape juice is a cure all.  IMO, there is no benefit to alcohol, whatsoever, in any way shape or form.  As my first pastor once said about people who drink during Sunday football games... as they advertise the beer commercials.  In his hillbilly voice... "one can, not so bad, two cans, feelin' a little funny, by the third can you are off and runnin'."  I know this thread is about wine, but I am against alcohol in any way shape or form.  There are so many Biblical scriptures on the evil of drink.  Starting in the Book of Deuteronomy and on...

• Administrators

Usually the thread stays on topic for a least the first few posts or the first page. However, this thread changed topic with the first comment. :)

I drink my coffee in moderation. lol

So many things that God created has great health benefits, of course you still have to have balance in your diet. Too much of something can make you sick.

• Members

6 cups of coffee....yow!  I would get the shakes for sure.  Of course, I'm not a man. And my son would say he likes that stat!  :biggrin:

LOL, I would be shaking for sure, HC.  Maybe a man can handle it, but I certainly couldn't.

• Members

Seems these day we have all kinds of people out there saying this is good for you, or this is bad for you with many picking sides, & are more with a long life, than they are into God & trusting Him with their life & how long they shall live on this earth.

A while back there was a good article in Sword of the Lord about wine & grape juice according to this doctor grape juice was much better for a person that any type of wine. The grape juice does no harm to you yet is beneficial yet the wine would do you some harm even though there was a few things beneficial with it. Being as what the Bible has to say about drinking, & that nowadays even wine had more alcohol in it that it did in the days Jesus walked this earth, I have to side on the side of grape juice & on the side of the Bible leaving strong drink out of my diet. Even if the world says its good for me, I feel God knows more about me than the world.

Six cups of coffee spread over a whole day is not really that much coffee, not compared to the size of tea glasses, coke cups, & soda pop bottles.

Most people that I see drinks more than one glass of tea eating a meal, & many drink several glasses. And when your eating out when a person drinks a soft drink they generally all get one refill if not more.

And usually the coffee drinker will drink at least one glass of water if not more when eating a meal & or just having a cup of coffee. I've noticed many tea & soft drink drinkers only drinking their tea & soft drink. Now in saying that I am expressing what I have seen with my eyes, what you see may be different.

• Members

A lot of these "research studies" are slanted because they are financed by those interested in proving their product is healthy for you. 

'So True!' 

I feel the wine drinking being good for us & better than grape juice is influenced by the wine makers who are lust for more money.

I trust the Christian doctor who wrote the article for The Sword of the Lord, I feel he was only out to help all of us Christians.

Archived