• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"If you don't believe you don't receive"

Lisa Anne

• Members

How often do you hear people you know, or people online say that around the Christmas holiday?! And I'm referencing Santa, not Jesus. How terrible is that?! I don't plan on telling my daughter that Santa is real. We will have our own way of handling the Holidays that my husband and I have discussed. Gifts OBviously should not be all about Christmas but to use something that is blatantly not real and blackmail your kids that if they say anything to their younger siblings about Santa not being real then they don't get gifts? I don't take a severely strong opinion against the fictional character, but I'm not going to lead my child to believe it for however many years then go through the ridiculous turmoil of bribing them to stay quiet so little Jane or John doesn't find out, THEN having to deal with the heartbreak your child may face when they do realize Santa was a joke all along. Ok, that was my rant because if I said that anywhere else but here or in my home I'd get stoned to death :eek

• Members

You can and should deal with it up front but, it will never be behind you in this world. You get your children straightened out and you will have a mother beating on your door asking why your Jane told her little Timmy there is no Grinch oops, I mean Santa. I think there will be a great deal more teaching and training required to handle the battles which are ahead.

Welcome back from KY and I hope the trip was enjoyable and free from contention.

• Members

Lisa Anne, you are a courageous woman and I admire you. I can only imagine what your family would think if they knew your intentions about Santa Claus. I cannot imagine it would go over well, especially with the doting "grandmas". It would be hard for them to understand.

You also humble me in another way. I have been struggling with my old friend the "holiday blues" a lot over the last few days. The holidays are certainly a joyful time, but also a very lonely time if you don't have a family. Your post reminds me that people with families travel through a minefield of struggles and difficulties that I cannot even imagine!

I pray we both will "press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14)

• Members

You can and should deal with it up front but, it will never be behind you in this world. You get your children straightened out and you will have a mother beating on your door asking why your Jane told her little Timmy there is no Grinch oops, I mean Santa. I think there will be a great deal more teaching and training required to handle the battles which are ahead.

Welcome back from KY and I hope the trip was enjoyable and free from contention.

I can imagine, but I'll be glad to stand for my beliefs. I hope to combat some of that by homeschooling.. that may save some of the trouble in regards to all the school children. SO far it seems most of her little friends are church-based and as far as I have noticed many of them have the same beliefs.. some stronger than others but basically the same. I went to TN btw, live in KY lol. Thank you though for the welcome back. It was a good trip :)

Lisa Anne, you are a courageous woman and I admire you. I can only imagine what your family would think if they knew your intentions about Santa Claus. I cannot imagine it would go over well, especially with the doting "grandmas". It would be hard for them to understand.

You also humble me in another way. I have been struggling with my old friend the "holiday blues" a lot over the last few days. The holidays are certainly a joyful time, but also a very lonely time if you don't have a family. Your post reminds me that people with families travel through a minefield of struggles and difficulties that I cannot even imagine!

I pray we both will "press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14)

My mom won't mind much I don't think. She seems very laid back about that and growing up in a good Christian home she would surely understand. My dad is another story. He freaked when I told him I put my tree up two weeks before Thanksgiving. His girlfriend even told me by the time Christmas comes around my daughter will think it's just another piece of furniture... Doesn't bother me any : All the gifts they gave my daughter for Christmas are under the tree now (Dad gave them to me at Thanksgiving to save shipping). He might freak if I tell him that, too. I think 90% if not all of them say "From Santa." Any time Santa is used in my house he is strictly fictional and is a pretend something Mom, Dad, or whoever gave the gift are doing. My husband's mom... yeaaaaah that's a whole other story. She's Wiccan so anything she believes or thinks is beyond my realm of comprehension. Plus she has the mental capacity of a 6 year old.

Cheer up, Miss Linda! We'll prOBably have to drag each other at times (although I pray we will walk side by side most of the time) but I do believe we can press toward that mark! The Lord will give us the strength to get through anything, I'm sure you know, but it is always good to hear others say it. I know I love reading your words.

• Members

It's very important to teach our children well and from an early age. Many years ago when our youngest son was really young he said something about Santa and presents. Our oldest son, who was actually young himself then, chimed in and said Christmas presents come from Jesus because all good things come from God.

Not exactly what we were teaching, but it was clear the message was getting through and the door was opened for further teaching.

• Members

It's very important to teach our children well and from an early age. Many years ago when our youngest son was really young he said something about Santa and presents. Our oldest son, who was actually young himself then, chimed in and said Christmas presents come from Jesus because all good things come from God.

Not exactly what we were teaching, but it was clear the message was getting through and the door was opened for further teaching.

lol, nice.

• Members

lol, nice.

:D That's one of my precious memories. Far less biblical is when my oldest son was first learning to ride a bike. It was spring so we had our jackets on in the cool air. As we were riding the sun came out and it warmed up some. My son stopped his bike, took his hood off, ran his hand through is hair and said, "My hair is crying." :icon_mrgreen: After laughing I gave him his first lesson on sweat :unsure:

• Administrators

Too funny, John! Kids come up with the neatest expressions!

As we were raising our son, we did not teach him about Santa. We didn't really teach him that Santa was wrong, either. We just didn't talk about "him" unless Josh mentioned it. My folks knew from years before I ever got married that I wasn't going to teach any of my children that Santa gave gifts. I felt that it was a real misrepresentation (lie!!) because the parents or grandparents who worked to earn the money to buy the gifts don't get the credit in the kids' eyes, and so gratitude goes to a non-existent being. Beyond the fact that Santa is a "stand-in" for God, I really believed that it took away from honoring parents. Fortunately, my husband was of the same mind...

I remember the Christmas Josh was 3. My parents were visiting us and my mom, son and I were shopping. He was sitting in the cart, my mom was pushing the cart (had to be as close to grandson #1 as she could :icon_mrgreen: ) and I was walking alongside. A short distance away was the store Santa. He saw Josh and made a beeline for him. Funny thing is, the look on his face. I guess he was intent on getting to the kid or something, because he looked almost mad. Josh saw him coming (and the guy was moving fast, too), started crying and climbed up out of the cart and over my mom's shoulder (I got him before he fell off her back)!!!! I was so shocked. He'd never reacted that way before, to the Santa's out ringing bells or anywhere else. I think it was the unexpectedness and quickness of it, as well as the look on the guy's face.

Later, he wanted to talk about it, and so we did. And we explained to him just what Santa was supposed to be and why we didn't recognize him as such - and let him know that he didn't need to be fearful of a store Santa. A few years later, one of the mothers for whom I babysat came to me and blasted me because I told her son Santa wasn't real. I told her I did no such thing, would never do that because it's up to her if she wants to lie to her son or not. Come to find out, Josh told him. :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

Too funny, John! Kids come up with the neatest expressions!

As we were raising our son, we did not teach him about Santa. We didn't really teach him that Santa was wrong, either. We just didn't talk about "him" unless Josh mentioned it. My folks knew from years before I ever got married that I wasn't going to teach any of my children that Santa gave gifts. I felt that it was a real misrepresentation (lie!!) because the parents or grandparents who worked to earn the money to buy the gifts don't get the credit in the kids' eyes, and so gratitude goes to a non-existent being. Beyond the fact that Santa is a "stand-in" for God, I really believed that it took away from honoring parents. Fortunately, my husband was of the same mind...

I remember the Christmas Josh was 3. My parents were visiting us and my mom, son and I were shopping. He was sitting in the cart, my mom was pushing the cart (had to be as close to grandson #1 as she could :icon_mrgreen: ) and I was walking alongside. A short distance away was the store Santa. He saw Josh and made a beeline for him. Funny thing is, the look on his face. I guess he was intent on getting to the kid or something, because he looked almost mad. Josh saw him coming (and the guy was moving fast, too), started crying and climbed up out of the cart and over my mom's shoulder (I got him before he fell off her back)!!!! I was so shocked. He'd never reacted that way before, to the Santa's out ringing bells or anywhere else. I think it was the unexpectedness and quickness of it, as well as the look on the guy's face.

Later, he wanted to talk about it, and so we did. And we explained to him just what Santa was supposed to be and why we didn't recognize him as such - and let him know that he didn't need to be fearful of a store Santa. A few years later, one of the mothers for whom I babysat came to me and blasted me because I told her son Santa wasn't real. I told her I did no such thing, would never do that because it's up to her if she wants to lie to her son or not. Come to find out, Josh told him. :icon_mrgreen:

LOL poor kid! If only he would react that way to ever creepy old man that charged at him with a crazy face. Well, I hope nOBody ever does that but you get the humor I'm sure.

It'll be an interesting year to see what family/friends say about our lack of acknowledgment for Santa. I have some decorations with Santa we use but the point about him will be clear. There was a thread on another message board I go to every now and then about Santa... when your kids found out he wasn't real. This is one of the replies... "I told my 9 & 11 year old daughters about a month ago. I decided to tell them both, because there is NO way they can keep a secret from each other. I decided they were old enough and I didn't want to be in a situation where I was lying to them about something. The first thing my 9 year old said was, "You've been lying to us all this time?" I tried to explain that we did it, so she could experience the fun of Santa, but she wasn't too happy we had made her believe in something that isn't for real. They will still get their stockings filled and get gifts laid out from Santa. That will happen until they move out of my house. The surprise part of it is just so fun for them." That is precisely the situation I don't want to be in. Who knows how my kid will react. She may not care, or she may be heartbroken.

• Members

If we think about it, we (collective as a society) build up Santa, and an egg laying rabbit, both leaving evidence to their existence, then we ask that someone believe in Christ as Saviour, with no physical evidence. Wonder why it is hard to reach the young, who can you trust, been lying to be all these years (again collective not you personally, maybe), so how can I believe you about this Jesus.

• Members

If we think about it, we (collective as a society) build up Santa, and an egg laying rabbit, both leaving evidence to their existence, then we ask that someone believe in Christ as Saviour, with no physical evidence. Wonder why it is hard to reach the young, who can you trust, been lying to be all these years (again collective not you personally, maybe), so how can I believe you about this Jesus.

No doubt such applies to some. It would be interesting if someone were to do a proper survey to find out how many.

For myself and everyone I've ever spoke with, Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and whatever were never viewed as being lies told by parents; just the parents pretend playing with the youngsters.

Only speaking of my own experience now, but I never equated God/Jesus with any of the man-made things. As far back as I can remember, I believed in God. I can vaguely remember wondering whether any of the pretend things were real or not and I remember not being the least bit concerned when I settled on the fact they were not real.

In any event, my family never made a big deal out of those pretend things, but I do know some families really get carried away trying to convince their children there really is a Santa or Easter Bunny or whatever, and trying to keep them believing for as long as possible. For children with parents like that, I can see how they might come to the conclusion their parents were lying to them. If those same parents didn't teach them about God or only gave them limited teaching of such, I can see how they may then have questions about that too.

Some families mark many, or all, of the presents under the tree as being from Santa. Of course we've never done that. On personal presents we write who they are actually from. On the other presents we leave the "from" blank.

It's interesting, not what it just popped into my head, that I've known a few families that don't want to lie to their children about such things, and they are very outspoken about this, but they do allow their children to watch programs that are doing that...whether teaching that angels get their wings for doing certain deeds, or dead people becoming angels, or "good" charactors drinking or smoking or even "mild" cussing, etc.

• Administrators

I think it's gotten worse over the years as well. There are so many things that aren't true but passed off as truth (in the form of entertainment) and such a distortion about who Christ is and who God is that nowadays what didn't affect my generation does affect the current generation. And the fact that divorce is so common and casual, bearing children out of wedlock - there isn't a strong emotional tie between kids and their parents today (even in many Christian homes), so if a kid is lied to about one thing, why wouldn't they assume they're being lied to about another...

Like John, we did not disbelieve in Jesus because of "believing" in Santa (or the Easter Bunny...I remember a basket one year, but not actively believing a bunny brought it). I don't know that I ever did, although I remember one year getting a bike marked "from Santa." I knew, however, that it was from my folks. But things change as generations change. The things that assault our youth today are darker and more sinister in many ways than when I was young: because it is more out in the open. When I was young, it was cute Bewitched. Now it's Friday the 13th, Chainsaw Massacre, et.al. - and even that isn't scary enough. Etc. Present this kind of thing to youth and they are soon desensitized...nothing "scares" them, and they trust no-one.

• Members

Do with think this Santa thing, and Easter Bunny thing, and Tooth Fairy thing, we are letting the world have to much influence on us, and not letting the Bible influence us enough.

Are we getting to close and friendly with the world, not practicing enough separation?

Through the Bible we have many examples of Isreal getting friendly with the world, and each time they draw away from God, and He uses some type of event to draw them back, for a while they do pretty good, yet they do it all over again and again.