• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Get out your scholar cap...Please!

• Members

In my studies this evening I ran across the verse below...and read it!

Proverbs 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

On the surface it appears to say God made "the wicked" "for the day of evil." However that doesn't agree with cross reference verses I recall so...HELP!

I looked at JFB Vol. II and I will be the first to admit my cup of Hebrew is weak. Any help for the Hebrew impaired would be appreciated. Also looked at Strongs Hebrew-Chaldee and Mat. Henry the latter wasn't complete I thought.

Thanks
Dave

• Members

It does not state that God made people wicked, but that He made a day of evil (ie. trouble) for those that are wicked. In other words, the wicked will face their punishment in due time.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Proverbs 16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

He did not make (cause) the wicked to do evil but it is a fact that he did make for Himself those who do turn to wickedness.... and he uses them (and their wickedness) in His divine plan.

• Members

In my studies this evening I ran across the verse below...and read it!

On the surface it appears to say God made "the wicked" "for the day of evil." However that doesn't agree with cross reference verses I recall so...HELP!

I looked at JFB Vol. II and I will be the first to admit my cup of Hebrew is weak. Any help for the Hebrew impaired would be appreciated. Also looked at Strongs Hebrew-Chaldee and Mat. Henry the latter wasn't complete I thought.

Thanks
Dave
What God does appears as "wicked or evil" when He pours out His wrath upon the wicked and evil.

Some confuse this with God having two opposing sides, which is not true. Even in his wrath God still shows mercy.

God has everlasting punishment for the wicked, that punishment is seen as "evil" by men. But the punishment is justice from God towards the wicked and for their refusal to repent and trust Him.

Forsaking ones own mercy will cause the wrath of God to abide upon that one. It is due recompense for evil, even in the child of God's life here while in this mortal body for result of sin.:coolsmiley:

A child of God still sins and unrepentent sin invites the wrath of God to purge that sin from the child.

Hope that helps and I agree with Grizzly about the Calvinist idea.:thumb:

• Members

You have to take the verse in context....
And notice it does not say "created"...it says "made"

16:2 All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits.

16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

16:4 The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.

16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

Proverbs 16:2-5

Verse 2...Man's righteousness.........filthy rags, we are hopeless without Him. God is the righteous judge.
Verse 3...God's righteousness.......Put your trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, He will put His Spirit in you.
Verse 4...If you do not trust Christ, your destiny right now is the Great White Throne and the Lake of Fire.
Verse 5...If you proudly refuse....There is no other alternative.....you "shall not be unpunished".

• Members

Is that a serious question? Calvinism is the doctrine that teaches the TULIP - Total Depravity; Unconditional Election; Limited Atonement; Irresistible Grace; Perseverance Of The Saints - I think that is the terms used for each part of their five-fold system of doctrine. As a whole, they go beyond the Scriptures and contradict the Bible in their doctrines. None of these five points, as defined by Calvinism, is Biblical.

• Members

Is that a serious question? Calvinism is the doctrine that teaches the TULIP - Total Depravity; Unconditional Election; Limited Atonement; Irresistible Grace; Perseverance Of The Saints - I think that is the terms used for each part of their five-fold system of doctrine. As a whole, they go beyond the Scriptures and contradict the Bible in their doctrines. None of these five points, as defined by Calvinism, is Biblical.

That's right

• Members

It seems those who hold to the teachings of Calvinism is on the rise. I suppose it ought not to be surprising.

It seems when a man comes along with a sliver tongue, he can talk a church into embracing almost anything.

Plus, in the last days man will hold only to a form of godliness.