• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Priscilla
    Newest Member
    Priscilla
General Chats

Connect, Share, and Engage! Join our General Discussions Forum for a Wide Range of Topics, Ideas, and Meaningful Conversations. Let's Explore Together!

5,386 topics in this forum

1. Memorial Day

• 0 replies
    irishman
    • 2 replies
    Keifer
    • 24 replies
    • 2.3k views
    Pastor Matt
      • Administrators
    • 21 replies
    • 1.3k views
    JerryNumbers
      • Administrators
    • 12 replies
    • 1.3k views
    John81
  2. Separation Needed

• 0 replies
    John81
      • Administrators
    • 15 replies
    JerryNumbers
    • 31 replies
    • 2.2k views
    JerryNumbers
  3. John81
  4. Whales

• 5 replies
    • 1.6k views
  5. Preaching Boldly

• 2 replies
    John81
      • Administrators
    • 3 replies
  6. Ephesians

• 12 replies
    Invicta
      • Administrators
    • 10 replies
    • 1.1k views
    JerryNumbers
      • Administrators
    • 9 replies
    JerryNumbers
  7. Liturgical Services 1 2

• 19 replies
    • 2.7k views
    JerryNumbers
  8. Egpyt

• 2 replies
    John81
    • 0 replies
    John81
    • 91 replies
    • 7.5k views
    Annie
  9. JerryNumbers
    • 7 replies
    JerryNumbers
  10. C.S. Lewis?

• Administrators
    • 10 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 0 replies
    Nathaniel
  11. "Navy SEAL"

heartstrings

• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• My Clubs

• Members Online

No members to show

• Recent Topics

• Recent Posts

• Yes, the Bible does set standards. As I said, that is why hubs and I stand firmly on divorced men pastoring/deaconing. Your question about counseling, however, is not something the Bible speaks to. So in that case, it would depend on the spiritual growth of the person.  Just as a point of correction, Reagan did not coin that term. Not sure who actually did, but it became policy during Clinton's regime. It was not in play at all during Reagan's years. Nor even Bush's. @Napsterdad - I truly get the conundrum. There are a number of folks I personally know who were divorced before salvation. There is, in fact (or was a few decades ago - I have no idea now if they still do this) a college where a professor claimed that God said, "you got a what?" when someone said he couldn't preach because he was divorced before salvation. Sadly, it came out that this man and his wife were child abusers...I know, different sin, but my point in it is that when someone is involved in what he was, it casts serious doubt on ALL of his teachings. There is nowhere in scripture that teaches God would say, "you got a what?" Ezra 10 does indeed talk about the men putting away their wives and the children from those marriages. The reason was because they married outside of Israel, thus bringing pagan beliefs into the tribes. However, we have to realize that this bit of history is not instruction for us to follow in regards to marriage. This was OT economy not Church under grace actions.  I do wrestle with this sometimes - even though I firmly believe it - because my mother heart hurts for my son, who had a bad first marriage. He can preach with the best of them, studies and learns his Bible, leads his family in the ways of the Lord, witnesses, etc. But...he is in agreement with us that he cannot pastor or deacon. God has most definitely forgiven him and restored what the locust ate. But actions have consequences even when we've been forgiven. As to the husband of one wife instruction...it is commonly accepted that this was stated in allusion to the fact that polygamy was common and Paul was instructing Timothy that a pastor was not to have multiple wives. It has become very popular to say that a divorced man who has remarried only has one wife. I believe that is in response to the fact that so many pastors have been divorced and remarried as a way to put a stamp of approval on their remaining in the pulpit (or being "restored" after a certain time of repentance). I know it's not a biblical "argument," but in reference to the idea that this passage is simply speaking of polygamy/polyandry (multiple husbands) it is interesting to note that divorce and remarriage is considered "serial polygamy." Which means having more than one wife, just not all at the same time. Just some thoughts. Oh, and I want to add...neither my hubs nor myself look down on folks who have been divorced who remain in the pulpit. We have enough on our plates without trying to eat their food. 
    • I grew up in "three to thrive" IFB churches, plus as an mk, often attended multiple missions conferences a year. I was in church throughout the week all throughout my childhood and well into my adulthood.  The church I attend now does not have Sunday evening services. They have a Bible study before the morning service and recently have started a Wednesday night Bible study service. It's a small church that has multiple ministries serving the community. The lack of a Sunday evening service doesn't mean they are serving God less, ministering less, or fellowshipping less.  I read the article, which is just an opinion piece that doesn't Biblically explain why Sunday evening services are important. It seems to be a nostalgia-filled article on why Sunday evenings are special to him. I added my thoughts to his main arguments:  "It was special because we were able to hear the preacher again. " "He spoke directly to us. He challenged us more. He exhorted a bit more." Why preach differently?  Sunday morning services shouldn't be different than Sunday evening services.  "It was a family meeting where he could be more candid with the members of the family." No, again, Sunday morning shouldn't be any different. Why should visitors cause someone to respond less, listen less, or fellowship less in the morning service? It's almost like once the visitors are gone, you can breathe after holding your breath. Are visitors really that much of an 'outsider' presence that it changes the atmosphere of the church service?  "It was another chance to become closer to one another."  "After all there was no one there that we were trying to impress."  Impress? Really?  Church services shouldn't be about impressing anyone.  "It puts sports, football in particular, in its place."  With streaming, this is a moot point. Any sports fanatic will find a way to watch their team in between services and stay up to date on that oh-so-very vital information, that's not putting sports 'in its place'.  "It gave us another chance to do something for the Lord."   This is probably the only point I agree with. For those in larger churches space for special music, or other in-church ministries is limited, so another service will give someone who desires to serve God in a church service an opportunity to do so. People who work or otherwise can't come in the morning have a chance to do so in the evening. However, these are not Biblical reasons for Sunday evening services, it's just a good point. 
    • Yessir. Many of my pastor friends who were also friends with my ex BIL have sided with my sister in the divorce because her husband wouldn't do anything outside of the ministry. His income, or lack thereof caused my sister to go into several network marketing companies where she did quite well. He forced her to stop, and once they had moved back to Georgia to be closer to his family, he was overbearing with my sister and the girls ALWAYS attributing everything that happened to THEIR sin, ALWAYS excluding himself. After nearly suffering a nervous breakdown herself my sister kicked him out. He twisted scripture right and left, even in the separation and divorce proceedings pushed ALL of the blame on her. My sister was no angel in all of this, but she didn't endanger her kids health and lives. He did. Their friends, with the exception of one who is in the pastorate, have stated that Steve should not be in the pulpit. I agree. 
    • The Bible does set standards of dos and don’ts, and who can lead and who cannot lead. it seems to me, I could be wrong that churches today are letting their standards down. Example a couple not having sex before they get married. This Is on the back burner and not enforced like it was one time. This reminds me of the Ronald Reagan days, when he said, don’t ask don’t tell. I believe it was Ron Reagan that said this.
    • I struggle with this one a bit. Mainly with regard to those who got married before they were saved. Then, after some years, one or the other gets saved, but the other refuses to accept the gift and continues on in a sinful lifestyle, sometimes even more so just to get under the skin of the newly saved spouse. This happened to my brother. He got saved and his wife threw down the gauntlet. When he then got baptized she went off the deep end. Had he stayed married to her she would not only have destroyed her own life, but his as well. I know 1 Timothy 3 states that Pastors and Deacons should be the husband of one wife, but can someone affirm that doesn't just simply mean 'the husband of one wife', a previous unbiblical marriage not being part of the equation? What do you do with Ezra 10 where it was condoned that people not only put away their wives, but children as well, from marriages that were done outside the will of God? I'm not saying that the prevailing opinion on 1 Timothy 3, that one must never have been divorced to be a pastor or deacon, is wrong; I am just stating that I am not convinced. My brother was never called to either office (rightly so for many other reasons), but I know a few others that if they believed they were called would probably make very good pastors or deacons. Then, what do you do with the man whose only wife is a divorced woman? Is he disqualified? For the deacon 1 Timothy 3:11 states: Even so must their wives be grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things. But no such requirement is listed under the pastor qualifications. And does this verse mean that she cannot be a divorcee? What if her previous husband was very abusive to the point her life (and that of her children) was in danger? Once again, I am not stating that the prevailing IFB stance of no divorce for a pastor or deacon is wrong, I am just stating that I am not fully convinced. 
  • Popular Now

• Sermon Entries